Forums Latest Members

Will changing face (dial) of my Speedmaster reduce its value.

1. Rahul Aug 22, 2016

Hi! I have brown dial Speedmaster (moon watch) , I am using it since 6 years. The watch is not opened ever for any service or repair as it is functioning well. Recently I came across Moon to Mars dial on eBay and felt tempted to change face of my watch. Should I do it or it will affect value and genuineness of my watch. Please give me your suggestions. Thank you! 20160822_175025.png

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 22, 2016

If you keep the original parts so that they may changed back later, no. But if you don't the watch will be worth less.

Rahul and Nobel Prize like this.
  3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 22, 2016

I wouldn't.

4. meganfox17 Aug 22, 2016

Namaste @Rahul

Aap Kaise Hain ?

Sir , your Speedy is your faithful lifelong inseparable companion & should never be treated like some smart future investment. She is NOT for Sale !

If the Speedy is showing signs & symptoms of " A Midlife Crises " , you must diagnose the condition as " Speedy Depression " & treat the problem urgently.She would need lots of TLC / tender loving care with a refreshing revitalizing invigorating dial makeover so Yes....i would say Go Ahead Sir

Start your own customization of the Speedy dial just like the Mitsukoshi Domino Dial or your own personel
    " From the Moon to Mars " project. Here , for some inspiration & to kickstart your own dream , i'll show you a borrowed picture of a completed dial from a distinguished member of the TZ UK forum[​IMG]I think the Speedy looks Absolutely Smashing !

5. dx009 Aug 22, 2016

If it's your watch you can do whatever you want with it and value might not be important (unless you plan on selling it) but I wouldn't install that dial...
    [​IMG]

Rahul likes this.
  6. Rahul Aug 22, 2016

OK. Thanks for your opinion.

7. Rahul Aug 22, 2016

@meganfox17 Namaste! I am great, how are you? Thanks for your sweet suggestion. You are right i won't be selling my speedy and she will be my life companion and I promise I will take good care of her . Thanks for the picture I am feeling more tempted for her makeover. Will positively give it a thought now. Hope I am not hurting my speedy by doing so. I know it will be a great change. Thank you Megan.

meganfox17 likes this.
  8. Rahul Aug 22, 2016

Thank you sir. So you suggest that I should keep it original right?

9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 22, 2016

for a modern watch, I'd say go for it if that's what turns your crank. Just do keep the original parts safe for when it comes to sale time, if that ever comes. If this was a nice vintage speedy, i'd say no way, but there are so many of the modern incarnations that I don't think it will do much harm personally.

Rahul likes this.
  10. tyrantlizardrex Aug 22, 2016

Not going to sugar coat this:

Please don't fit one of the ugliest Omega dials ever produced to your watch.

Foo2rama and Rahul like this.
  11. dx009 Aug 22, 2016

I would say that, in the end, the value might drop but there is also the possibility that someone might think that it's a rare thing and pay twice for it or something like that. It happens quite a lot (sadly).

But, as I said earlier, you can install it if you like that dial more. I wouldn't want to stop someone from having fun with their watch.

Rahul likes this.
  12. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Aug 22, 2016

Eehh? Since it was not born with the dial, yes!

Rahul likes this.
  13. italy1861 Aug 22, 2016

Whether you replace the dial or not, get your Speedy a full service. After 6 years I'm sure it's due! ;)

Rahul likes this.
  14. ConElPueblo Aug 22, 2016

Why on earth would you believe that? It could, at most, be confused with the LE with the same dial, which is probably one of the hardest sells in all of Speedmaster history.

Rahul likes this.
  15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 22, 2016

Yes, you will reduce its value as long as the limited edition dial is fitted to a standard case.
    But as you're only doing it to wear and satisfy your desire for a different look then it doesn't matter.

Myself however, I wouldn't do it, that dial just looks cheesy compared to the classic.

Rahul likes this.
  16. Rahul Aug 22, 2016

Thank you for your opinion.

17. Rahul Aug 22, 2016

Hi! Is it necessary to service it even if it shows perfect time and it's running fine? I thought why unnecessarily open it without a reason.

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 22, 2016

Rahul and italy1861 like this.
  19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 22, 2016

It's a mechanical watch. Just like a mechanical car it needs to have an engine clean and oils changed at specified intervals.

Search this forum for posts about "service needed".

There's lot's of good advice there.

Rahul likes this.
  20. italy1861 Aug 22, 2016

Yes! Good time keeping is not a good indicator of needed service. Lubricants break down over time and if your watch is a daily wearer, then I'm sure it needs attention. I'd say depending on use 3-5 years for a service and pressure check every year if it's going near water.