Forums Latest Members
  1. Moebius Apr 6, 2019

Hi Guys!
    Apologizes in advance if the question is boring , this is my first Vintage watch and basically I have no experience at all with this kindo of watches . but I have just acquired my first Vintage Omega(Cal 564 Ref 168.017) and I think I am having a problem when winding it. The crown seems in perfect condition and when I wind it is smooth and sounds fine, but I do not feel any resistance at all even after 4 minutes winding it. Is it normal? as based in previous watches I knew when to stop winding when I felt some pressure. Also being the watch automatic, do you recomend to wind it every day?
    Many thanks in Advance for any help!!

gatorcpa likes this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 6, 2019

Yes. You have an automatic watch. The mainspring has a clutch at the end that allows it to slip when the tension on the mainspring gets to a certain pressure. In theory, you could wind it forever and it will never be “fully wound”.

There are a few automatic watches without a slipping mainspring (LeCoultre Futurematic). Those are the rare exceptions.

Hope this helps.
    gatorcpa

3. Moebius Apr 6, 2019

Many thanks! Being automatic, is it recommended to wind it every day?

4. 124watchfan Apr 6, 2019

“Automatic” means u don’t have to wind it unless it hasn’t been worn much or has stopped. Has it been serviced recently?

5. TexOmega Apr 6, 2019

From dead stop, wind it 20-30 times, wear it on your wrist and the natural action of walking around and moving your arms will keep it wound enough to run properly.

Provided it has been serviced of course.

Welcome!

Dan S and Spruce like this.
  6. Moebius Apr 6, 2019

Many Thanks for all the information!! really useful. The watch has been service recently and is in good condition; I know what "Automatic" means but I was told it was recommended to wind it every day anyway in order to improve the watch accuracy... Is it basically a nonsense and should only be winded when has stopped??
    Again many thanks for the help!!

7. Mac5 Apr 6, 2019

Let's see some pictures!!!

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 6, 2019

I think so, but I'm not a professional watchmaker.

Doesn't make sense to me to run an old watch (serviced or not) more than necessary.
    gatorcpa

9. Moebius Apr 7, 2019

mmm I see. Many thanks for the information mate, much appreciated, so basically as long as I wear it every day and it runs no need to wind it.
    Sorry I didn't upload any pic of the watch because is a common Omega Constellation from 1969,I have seen plenty of pictures of this model in this forum...nothing rare or very special although I very much like it and I am enjoying it.

IMG_20190407_190807.jpg
    gatorcpa, BenBagbag and KingCrouchy like this.