Forums Latest Members

Why would Rolex not follow suit?

1. M'Bob Aug 24, 2017

I'm guessing that Omega has done well financially, at least theoretically, with the release of their non-crown guard tribute watches.

Wouldn't Rolex do similarly well with a James Bond, non-crown guard reissue of either the big or small crown references that are associated with this era Submariner?

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 24, 2017

I'm Rolex, always working to improve my watches incrementally and selling every watch I produce. I have a burgeoning and vibrant vintage population to satisfy a rabid collector community because my watches are basically tanks that last forever. Why do I need to issue Homage again? Just sayin.

t_swiss_t likes this.
  3. ICONO Aug 24, 2017

That's what the Tudor Brand is for……

watch3s, CTS-V, Kmart and 3 others like this.
  4. Canuck Aug 24, 2017

The fact that Rolex is sitting on millions of dollars worth of parts inventory for earlier calibers that they refuse to sell to anybody, including authorized dealers, and they refuse to service many earlier calibers, indicates to me they don't care a rat's a$$ about retro watches. Or the people that own them. Rolexes often last longer than lesser watches, and Rolex seems to realize (like Timex, Swatch, and so many others), that an old watch fixed is a new watch not sold!

watch3s, MaiLollo, Paedipod and 4 others like this.
  5. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Aug 24, 2017

I still have a hard time understanding how the Rolex ADs (at least here in the US) justify keeping the components they replaced when servicing a watch and then charge you for the replaced component....Hey I want my old bezel, dial, etc back! After all I own the thing....

t_swiss_t, sevenhelmet and Pun like this.
  6. georgeszaslavsky Aug 24, 2017

If you want a great repair for your Rolex in the USA, then ask Bob Ridley. For me in France with Rolex vintage models, it is Charly La Passion des Montres

Tire-comedon, Rasputin and Larry S like this.
  7. rcs914 Aug 24, 2017

Excuse me what? I don't own a Rolex, so this is news to me, but this is patently ridiculous.

sevenhelmet, albertob and Jwit like this.
  8. Wryfox Aug 24, 2017

True here in Florida, you get nothing back but the watch.

9. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Aug 24, 2017

Yes it is ridiculous and thus I walked right out.

albertob likes this.
  10. nmttd2 Aug 24, 2017

Rolex doesn't care really.. They make tons of money on their current lines.

11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 25, 2017

At least the NYC Boutique does not function this way. They actually asked me. The price is different if you keep the old one, but they do let you keep it. On the same token they ask you if you don't want something touched " like a vintage dial or a case polish etc.

At least that has been my experience.

12. albertob Aug 25, 2017

This is why I stick to omegas!

sevenhelmet and putt1333 like this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 25, 2017

As a friend who works at a Rolex service center confirmed, all parts are sold on an exchange basis. All the old parts are tossed into a large drum, and every so often it is emptied and the contents are destroyed. He describes the work as "soul destroying" personally, so is looking to move on.

These are not the actions of a company that cares one bit about the heritage of their product, other than exploiting it to sell new watches...

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 25, 2017

Perhaps when mine comes due I will just take it to my watchmaker instead. Honestly though is Omega any different? JLC? I have read complaints about all the branded service centers here.

15. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Aug 26, 2017

The independent watchmaker has been fast becoming the vintage watch collector's best friend. About the only mainstream luxury watch brand that strives to retain the originality of their vintage watches during service is PP.

16. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Aug 26, 2017

Has your friend personally witnessed these components destroyed vs taken to a "back room" where they are rationed out to corporate/collector elites? I find it hard to accept that Rolex would destroy valuable components many of which are more valuable than some of their new watches. How many companies do you know dispose of potentially large sums of money? It begs the question why the service centers are so adamant about retaining the old parts.

17. M'Bob Aug 26, 2017

My guess is that many of the components are worn and cannot be re-used, therefore of limited value. At least the inner workings.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 26, 2017

They are destroyed - there's no big conspiracy here mate. They are all just chucked (literally) into a big container.

Have you ever worked for a large multi-national manufacturing company? Companies throw away product for various reasons that is worth large sums of money all the time...

Certainly worn movement parts are, but the "soul destroying" part of the job for him was throwing away vintage dials, hands, and bezels...

Keep in mind that the average Joe who buys a "crown for every achievement" who sends their watch away to a Rolex service center is thrilled when it comes back looking like new. It's only a very small segment of the Rolex owning/buying population that is aware of or cares about preserving originality.

Cheers, Al

isaac.owen.nz, Larry S, Trev and 3 others like this.
  19. ScubaPro Actually dives with dive watches!!! Aug 26, 2017

A big reason they destroy old parts is so they don't end up in the hands of counterfeiters, who are huge problem for both new and vintage watch sales. The selling of watches online has made this problem far worse. Having used two different Rolex RSCs here in the US, I have learned there's a lot of discretion with management about the return of parts and everything else. You just have to talk to them.

20. 2ar2c1 Aug 26, 2017

truth, the last few times with a RSC, I asked for the worn parts to be returned and they said no problem and the parts were returned in a plastic parts bag.