Forums Latest Members

Why we are happy when a watch stays in the OF family

1. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 29, 2020

2. Eve Apr 29, 2020

Yeah, that was my watch :thumbsdown:

Edited:
    I contacted the guy yesterday when i saw the ad on chrono24, and offered him to buy the watch back from him for the same price i sold it to him (if he doesnt want to keep it)..
    As i said that was a fair price for fellow enthusiasts here on the forum.

But he said, he is not planning to sale the watch, and some bla bla about his expert friend who pointed him towards the re-sale value... whatever..

Uniqez, scapa, Readiness77 and 18 others like this.
  3. NotAClue Apr 29, 2020

I don't know about you but this makes me sad...

I'm someone who already overpaid (like really overpaid... :cautious:) for some of my watches just because I trusted my watch dealer. You know "bla bla bla rare bla bla bla unique bla bla bla all original". Yeah right...

I have only me to blame for, I know, but in a way some people take advantage of other's passion... and passion is not rational... That's when it became sensible. Normally this happens in very early stages of establishing a collection. That's why forums like this are essential to leave watch collecting accessible to everyone (in his various price ranges of course)...

4. ZIELSZIEK Apr 29, 2020

I'm still a newb here but browsing through the For Sale section, including older content, I have seen that this is not the first occurrence of such an event. I even saw it happen with vintage pieces, which in my opinion, are easier to profit from, by using marketing ploys...
    It's sad that dealers use this to their advantage creating a disadvantage for us, the collectors. It leaves people like me that are budget conscious in a tough spot. Sadly, this is wrong only from a moral standpoint.
    Today on how money tarnished the watch collecting hobby...

5. asrnj77 Apr 29, 2020

I agree that it’s always nicer to keep the collections in the “family” but we can’t fault a dealer for marking up the price. They might have rent, employees, insurance, equipment, and chrono24 fees. The watch dealers had a good run that past 8 years or so but we might see quite a few of them fold up. The circle of life might bring these very same watches back to the community in a relatively short time span

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 29, 2020

Someone will be along soon and say there is nothing wrong with what’s happened.

Seller got what they wanted - Buyer can do what they want.

This is quiet true and we can’t object to natural economics. Some members with hundreds of posts have done the exact same thing as above.

We just have to be aware that it happens and know that the no post long time member is usually a sign of what’s going on.

Lastly as the title states it’s always good to see a watch sold stay in the OF family. I know I have several watches that have been owned by several members before it came to me.

Syrte, td69, Readiness77 and 14 others like this.
  7. Professor Apr 29, 2020

Well I've only had one private offer to buy from a forum member. A nice not rare but uncommon watch I picked up for next to nothing. I turned the offer down without quoting a price, I like the watch and if I sold it for what its really worth I'd miss it though I seldom wear it.
    If I did buy or trade for a watch from a forum member they would always have the opportunity to buy it back should they be struck by remorse. I'm not interested in watches for their monetary value, only their mechanical refinements and style.

8. Eve Apr 29, 2020

I must admit, that i did have the sellers remorse after i sold the watch to him. But i thought he is a nice guy and was happy it found a nice home.
    About 1,5 month ago i asked him, that if he at some point gets tired of the watch i would gladly buy it back. He said, "Will do !".

So it was a bit disappointing when i saw the ad yesterday for ~double the price on chrono24 :)
    Yeah thats life, cant blame him, he has all rights to do with it what he wants, but i guess it might have an impact on my future deals.

td69, Uniqez, Readiness77 and 12 others like this.
  9. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 29, 2020

This happens a lot.

They always come across as a "nice guy".

And when the buyer/reseller gets challenged they always try to pretend they aren't a dealer, even where due diligence shows big trails of sold watches. It's why I gave up on selling to people I don't know, or who I can't verify as collectors.

cvalue13, td69, Readiness77 and 8 others like this.
  10. jeppehh Apr 29, 2020

I would leave him a review in the review section.

td69, Readiness77, adibou and 6 others like this.
  11. Eve Apr 29, 2020

But i dont think he is a dealer though, i did some research prior to deal and he earns his money elsewhere.
    I think he just found a good deal, and decided to flip for little profit. Also on chrono it is listed as a private sale.

12. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Apr 29, 2020

The few NAWCC mtgs I’ve been able to go to have had a market at them. Those run like the sentiments expressed here. Decent prices, honest descriptions and people buying and selling for the love of the hobby. This culture makes it fun and creates community

CJpickup57, NotAClue and Eve like this.
  13. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Apr 29, 2020

And you have just as much right to say that you don’t like what is happening :) And I think it is good that you do. It would be far worse if anyone didn’t say anything at all.

14. Dr.K Apr 29, 2020

Yes. Good idea!

15. Eve Apr 29, 2020

i did :thumbsup:

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 29, 2020

Edited Apr 29, 2020
    joeshoup, SpikiSpikester and kov like this.
  17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 29, 2020

I think most of us are into this because we are fascinated by watches and have some disposable income to play with. I always cringe when I see the term “investment”. I have quite a few watches from this forum. Most were never posted for sale and some were. Some have had multiple OF “stewards”. When I sell some of them, and Mrs S is on my ass to do so (we don't need all this stuff!!!!!), my preference is to sell them here for a fair collector price. “After all gentlemen (and Ladies), we are not Communists.” (apologies to Don Barzini)

Uniqez, watch3s, Paulomega and 9 others like this.
  18. Eve Apr 29, 2020

he told me, he could not leave a review due to 0-post count restrictions.
    is it true?

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 29, 2020

Eve likes this.
  20. jeppehh Apr 29, 2020

No.gif

watch3s, Lonestar, apsm100 and 6 others like this.