Forums Latest Members

Why these second hand speeds are only in JP?

1. befobe Nov 27, 2022

Hi OF,
    Was following this ref 3575.20, I like the white/blue matching colors, and I don't understand why on ch24, only Japan sellers propose it...

I don't think it was a special Japan market version...
    Have you an idea?

Screenshot_20221127-101423_Chrono24.jpg

2. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Nov 27, 2022

Hi!

Good observation! There's a few more pieces that seem much more abundant in JP, compared to anywhere else. For instance the Mother of Pearl Speedmaster Reduced is quite common over there, but rarely spotted elsewhere.

The 3575.20 certainly wasn't a Japan only piece, but I guess a combination of a slightly different taste and a large Speedmaster market (and with >125mio inhabitants a sizeable market in general) make the difference. To debunk the JP-only theory; I've seen one being auctioned off here in the Netherlands a few months ago. Originated from NL. It didn't fetch too high a price.

On the piece itself; you've got taste... not only do I like the colour and dial, combined with the fact that it comes in a standard Moonwatch case, it is a lot of watch for the price. I wouldn't mind owning one of those too. ;)

KLXN, teome, befobe and 2 others like this.
  3. Evitzee Nov 27, 2022

When I search for this watch on C24 I get 16 hits, but only three from Japan. There are six in Europe and others from US, Australia, Taiwan. So no domination from Japan that I can see.

These Speedmasters with the 1866 movement with moon and date came in various guises over the years. The original model was made in 1985-1988, and then made from around 2000 to 2017 with creme, silver and black dials. They never seem to have caught on with the collector crowd for whatever reason.

I have a lightly modified 3575.20.00.....the original Broad Arrow hands were replaced with the more streamlined blue baton handset from the white gold version, the white gold bezel was replaced with a blue Gemini IV bezel, and a sapphire back was installed. It came on a Silver Snoopy cordura strap, but I've still not settled on the best strap for it yet. I think any creme, white or silver dialled Speedmaster is somewhat special. And these watches are still well priced.

IMG_0562.JPG IMG_0551.JPG
    Edited Nov 27, 2022
    KLXN likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 27, 2022

That reference was definitely around worldwide, I remember seeing them in AD display cases in Australia, there are a small number like the Mitsukoshi and some Speedmaster Date models with specific color schemes are Japan only though in recent years

5. befobe Nov 27, 2022

Okay, strange...
    My filter on the ref gives 7 results, all in JP...
    My filter must be bad....