Forums Latest Members
  1. CBeck Dec 5, 2017

I've been browsing this forum for months now, reading everyone's stories about why they love their Speedy's and how they came to acquire them. I enjoy everyone's individual perspective and experience with their watch. Having just acquired my own a few weeks ago, I thought I'd post something about what ultimately brought me to buy mine in the hopes that it resonates with someone out there who may be trying to decide between a few watches as I was. This may get a little long in the tooth, and I apologize if it's too much for my first post, but if you get nothing else from this, hopefully you'll at least enjoy a picture of mine in the wild. Here goes...

I have collected several "luxury" watches throughout the years. I won't list them all here because it's really not that important, but suffice to say I do have a few nice timepieces that are very worthy of wrist time in their own right. In my never ending journey to buy that next timepiece I can't live without, I was considering a few watches from a few different makers this go 'round. Panerai, Breitling, IWC, and of course Omega were in my sights. For this purchase I wanted a watch that I could wear regularly both in my profession and in my day to day travels. I didn't really have any pre-conceived notions about what style I wanted. In other words, chrono vs aviator vs diver, date vs no date... these were not deal breakers for me one way or another. I just wanted a timepiece from a well respected brand with a reputation for quality, and something that was pleasing on the eye.

Needless to say, I spent several hours on line reading reviews of the brands I was interest in. I watched countless Youtube videos of unboxings, and 5 years and 10 years on the wrist reviews. I browsed Hodinkee ad nauseum to see what "experts" were saying. At the end of it all, I had it narrowed down to three watches. The Panerai Luminor Marina 1950, the IWC Pilot Midnight Chrono Blue, and the beloved Speedy. In my mind, all great watches from some of the best in the business (I know there are several other brands that are fantastic in this same price range and probably just above and just below, but this post is going to be too long to get into why I ruled those out, at least for now). I've tried on Panerais several times throughout the years, each time I get the same emotional reaction... meh! I've never worn an IWC on the wrist, but I've seen several in the flesh and I love what the great John Mayer has to say about the brand. My experience with the Speedmaster was very different from the others though, and probably not in the way you'd expect.

My first experience with the "Moon Watch" was back in 2007. My boss at the time wore one as his everyday watch. The only reason I noticed it at all was because he would wind it on his wrist periodically throughout the day, almost like a nervous tick. At the time, I didn't think it was an overly impressive watch. There was nothing in particular I DISLIKED about it, but there was also nothing that stood out. Also, having had several fully automatic watches by then, I couldn't really get on board with the manual winding function. In a time when autos had become so good, why would anybody want to have to actually work to make their watch tick? For the time being, I rest on the laurels of my Baume et Mercier Capeland S.

Fast forward a few years. My dad starts collecting watches. My dad is a man of great means. He could have any watch he wants. He's practical though, and doesn't want "art" on his wrist, as much as he wants watches that are built to last and can take a beating. For my dad the most important thing is to own and wear watches that require little to no effort. As soon as a watch becomes cumbersome (the date function doesn't work properly; one of the hands sticks; requires service too regularly, etc.) he's over it and on to his next one. Before long, I notice that my dad has several Omega's in his regular rotation. One such Omega is the 50th Anniversary Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch. Now I'm paying attention. As I am wont to do, I try on my dads new watch. While I'm putting the watch on I notice the writing on the back and read it. Now I'm intrigued. I ask him about it, but I get a sort of off the cuff, un-inspired answer, and I'm left wanting more.

Over the next few months I begin doing my own research about the watch, the history, the lineage, etc. If you're still reading this, you already know all the things I discovered about this watch. I won't get into the 321 movement vs the 1861, the rigorous testing that NASA did and all of that good stuff. It's been done before, and much better than I could possibly do it. Now I'm obsessed. I finally decide to the buy the watch over the others I've been considering. I've worn the watch every single day since I bought it. Here's what I've ultimately discovered about this watch now that it's been on my wrist for about a month, then I'll wrap this up: I have grown to love this watch BECAUSE it's so unassuming and anonymous. If you don't know anything about this watch, it's just another wrist watch that has nice proportions and doesn't have any features that are ugly. There's nothing in particular that stands out. As I find myself doing more often than I care to admit, I stare adoringly at my wrist. In doing so I have discovered that the reason the Speedy doesn't stand out in a crowd and really pop like, say, a Panerai would isn't because it lacks anything in particular. Quite the contrary. I think the reason this watch doesn't pop is because it's simply perfect. The dimensions of the watch are what they should be. The dials are exactly where they should be, and they're perfectly legible. The Omega emblem doesn't jump out and demand attention. the case, links, lugs, etc are all polished in perfect unison. Every element of this watch compliments another flawlessly. When looking at this watch, your eye is not immediately drawn to any one feature over another. This watch is so basic, it's perfect!

Are there far superior movements? Of course. Are there far superior materials used in modern watches? Absolutely. Are there watches that do everything this watch does and more? You bet. Are there any that do it all in as good a package as this one that you would wear as nonchalantly to the office as you would to pick out a Christmas tree with your family, or adorn on your wrist as you ride your Harley and do your best Sons of Anarchy impression? I sincerely doubt it. And while there are watches that would certainly gain more attention from casual watch aficionados (the most compliments I've ever received on a watch were on a Nautica watch I bought when I was younger simply because I loved the look and wanted a watch I could get in the ocean with), I believe this watch will only truly be appreciated by those that really know, and THAT is what makes this watch so special!

Thanks for reading. I hope something resonated with you. Before you ask, I would hope that given what I wrote above this would go without saying, but of course I got the hesalite.

Speedy.JPG
  2. Speedy_Gonzales Dec 5, 2017

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum and say congrats.

BenBagbag likes this.
  3. mr_yossarian Dec 5, 2017

Nothing to add. Excellent wrap up, welcome!

CBeck likes this.
  4. Moadib Dec 5, 2017

Love the write up. Very true about Speedie - there's a very good reason any design endures and stays fresh and relevant all that time.

CBeck likes this.
  5. CBeck Dec 5, 2017

Thank you!

6. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 5, 2017

Yup, that resonates with 'you are officially infected' :) Welcome!

CBeck likes this.
  7. hotwheels Dec 5, 2017

Great watch and reasoning welcome!

CBeck likes this.
  8. rob#1 Dec 5, 2017

Wholeheartedly agree, congratulations

CBeck likes this.
  9. OddSpeedy Dec 5, 2017

Helluva into post! Welcome!

I couldn't agree more with you, the unassuming qualities of the Speedy make it a fantastic every day carry watch. It has zero 'please come jack me for my expensive watch' factor, very much a sleeper watch.

Pun and CBeck like this.
  10. ClarendonVintage Dec 5, 2017

It is a well balanced watch in all aspects, and that coming from someone who doesn't (and won't) own a speedy.

CBeck likes this.
  11. Cryptoxic Dec 5, 2017

My first post on this forum as well and II have to say, you really took the words out of my mouth. I personally don't own a speedy but, I've been wearing my dad's 3570.50 speedy from 1999 because he didn't give it much wrist time. Me being a space enthusiast, the Speedmaster was the watch that caught my eye when NASA published pictures of their missions, Gemini, Apollo, Space Shuttle and even now the International Space Station expeditions and like you said, it's a watch that is so simple that it's perfect. Hell, as I'm typing this right now, it's on my wrist desk diving xD

I'd love to own a limited edition like the panda 35th Anniversary Apollo 11 or the Speedy Tuesday reverse panda but it just doesn't have that cool factor of "yeah it's the same model that the astronauts wear on their missions". But yeah, even if I don't own the watch, I think I may have been infected with the speedy fever. :D

[​IMG]

BTW, any quick remedies for cleaning up the scratches on the hesalite other than sending it in for polishing?

James Lin, stefman and CBeck like this.
  12. CBeck Dec 5, 2017

Polywatch is all you’ll ever need. You can get it on Amazon and it works as advertised. Enjoy!

13. Cryptoxic Dec 5, 2017

Sweet! Ordering some tubes as I type! :D

14. abrod520 Dec 5, 2017

You're the one who clicked on and read a thread titled "Why the Speedy for Me" ...

Pun likes this.
  15. stefman Dec 10, 2017

Excellent write up. From all the watches I own or have ever owned, the Speedy is the one that has become my daily wearer and the one I love the most. I actually enjoy winding the watch every day.

16. MariettaMike Dec 29, 2017

Excellent write-up. Most important, you enjoy the watch and that's all that counts.

17. kwiklot Dec 30, 2017

Must resist urges!!!! With some boutiques holiday sales!!! Arrgh

18. JMH76 Dec 30, 2017

Great write up. I feel the same way and you’ll appreciate even more as time goes by.

19. omegaswisst Jan 1, 2018

@CBeck that is one eloquent piece of writing. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and passion for watches.

The Speedmaster combines a blend of history and design which I think is unrivalled in the watch world.
    The right watch at the the right time in the right place.
    I’m not sure if such a combination will ever be repeated again.

Edited Jan 1, 2018
  20. mmalek1 Jan 2, 2018

Great write up. I'm sure there will be a lot of readers who may finally try a speedy out for the first time because of your post. I have a few great watches, but I can honestly say that my speedys never fail to bring a smile to my face. I was fortunate enough to acquire my silver snoopy as my first, but my love for speedmasters has dramatically increased. I can honestly say, the heslite crystal definitely brings a warmth that just doesn't duplicate with my other pieces. Thanks OP for sharing. Love the Speedy. IMG_3492.JPG IMG_3512.JPG