Forums Latest Members

Why the negativity from preowned dealers regarding Omega Connie 8500?

1. outtatime Feb 3, 2018

Hi everyone-New to the forum and a new Connie 8500 38mm owner,by way of a Christmas gift from my wife.
    She thinks this watch pairs better with suits,at my business formal meetings and our social functions than my
    chrono's/diver.Gotta admit IMHO the watch is stunning(steel/red gold) the most beautiful piece Ive ever owned.Which is why I was surprised at the 4 negative/confusing comments from preowned dealers when I called to inquire about resale value.They said:
    "Who buys a watch that you cant change the bracelet on" "Yeah nice piece when "back to the future" was playing in theaters" "Nobody wants that ugly,ugly bracelet" and then this one which leaves me utterly confused,
    "Gorgeous watch" at least you wont have to pay my average ticket price of $800($400-500 for 8500) to service it as you will a Rolex.
    Opinions are most appreciated.

Omega front.jpg New Omega.jpg
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 3, 2018

Buy and wear what you like.

Why are you asking watch dealers for their opinions? Are you thinking about selling it? They know the resale market for a watch like this is tough, and they gave you the reasons why. But there are still people (such as yourself) who really like them, which is why Omega makes them in the first place.

3. Canuck Feb 3, 2018

That style of bracelet with those hinge pins has been produced by Omega on many Constellation models, for at least 30 years that I am aware of. Some folks seem to believe a watch should be worn “full out”, and “damn the torpedoes”! People who do that are really the only ones that need to worry about destroying the bracelet. Worn with respect, you’ll likely never have to worry about bracelet problems. On the other hand...................!

outtatime likes this.
  4. outtatime Feb 3, 2018

I asked watch dealers for their opinion because they are closest to the market.I would not have had to ask you if the dealers gave me the right info.i.e the rest of the world really like Constellation and U.S doesnt,due to a difference in culture,not because its UGLY

5. ac106 Feb 3, 2018

Same thing.

6. ac106 Feb 3, 2018

Backdoor sales post probability is 62%

GuiltyBoomerang, Rodmar, adi4 and 2 others like this.
  7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 3, 2018

For sure wherever you stand on your particular taste the watch is not as mainstream as other watches. And the definite design attributes make it somewhat more polarizing. So it is not going to be the fastest re-sale or the most popular...but that does not mean it won't be loved by some.

I would not say it's a culture thing...that is just giving yourself a pat in the back. There are plenty Thank you of "other" constelations sold and loved in the US and beyond. It is just a polarizing watch and dealers like good, easy deals. Unless the watch carries a premium which this particular one does not.

Ask in this forum and you will get opinions from more passionate watch aficionados and hobbyists that may not be just $ related. but a dealer is going to give you an opinion on a deal, not a watch.

Another small note. Asking a dealer triggers the "dealer mode" Even if you ask a dealer about a Daytona he will find ways to lower it's value just in case your next step is...will you buy it from me? It makes it difficult for them to bargain with you if the first thing they tell you is the watch is valuable.

Personal Note: I don't like it....I am not American.

8. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Feb 3, 2018

Probability of getting a PM, 0%

9. outtatime Feb 3, 2018

What are the polarizing aspects of the watch that you dont like?
    keep in mind this was purchased as dress piece,not everyday wearer

10. outtatime Feb 3, 2018

Sorry to disappoint but I am not looking to sell the piece.
    I am trying to find out,which noone seems to be able to tell me,why its disliked to the extent it is in U.S.

11. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 3, 2018

Have you identified that it is, in fact, liked in all other countries?

Watches are personal, and in my time on OF I have seen where that style of bracelet and that style of bezel tend to be a turn-off to many OF members all over the world. And of course at the same time there are some who really like it. The net result is it will be harder to sell (if you ever get to that point), and will likely sell for less then some other models that had the same MSRP.

12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 3, 2018

The ones your dealer friends list and you mentioned on your original post. But, just look at it coldly.

2 metals
    Roman numeral bezel that serves no function
    The polished tabs on bezel
    Single broad link non detachable bracelet with 2 tone details
    Patterned dial...kinda look a little like wallpaper.

Now, take away whether you like these details or you don't. That's not the point, the point is one or two of these per watch is a lot.... All of them on one piece seems a little affected... A little over designed.

Taste wise you may like one, two or all elements but you have to admit the chances that it appeals to a broader audience is somewhat diminished. Hence polarizing.

It's like coke. There's coke, diet coke, coke light, coke zero, vanilla coke.... And then there is sugar free-vanilla-light-no additive coke...which of all those sells the most? Classic Coke

Waltesefalcon and Longbow like this.
  13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 3, 2018

Interesting piece with not a lot of demand outside of China.

Not everyone’s cup of tea, as evidenced by slow sales and weak resale.

GuiltyBoomerang, Rodmar and outtatime like this.
  14. outtatime Feb 3, 2018

Thanks for your reasoned reply.You are spot on about the bracelet.The dealers practically spat out the word "bracelet"
    when discussing the piece.Maybe I will mod it and put it on an alligator strap.Wtachya think?

15. TNTwatch Feb 3, 2018

What extent is it? This watch's design had been and still available in the US for a long time. It's quite modern, not of old enough to become vintage so collectors mostly avoid it. However, without any concrete sales number, whoever said it was disliked in the US just pulled it out of their know where...

outtatime likes this.
  16. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 3, 2018

I think it would look better on leather, but the point is you'd have to mod the watch permanently because that is a fixed bracelet I believe, and then no one will like it because it's not original. I do find do the bracelet style wrong for the watch because the watch is very classic in design, a little over done but classic, but the bracelet is retro post 70's in style.

17. TNTwatch Feb 3, 2018

I think your original impression is valid since it's not contaminated with the biased taste toward vintage styles by collectors. Don't modify it and ruin the gift from your wife.

Nobel Prize and outtatime like this.
  18. outtatime Feb 3, 2018

EUREKA NOW I GOT IT too busy over detailed "simplicity is the pinnacle of sophistication"
    which this piece is not.Well it sure is a change from everything else in the watchbox!

Nobel Prize likes this.
  19. rob#1 Feb 3, 2018

It’s a classy piece, not to everyone’s taste, but a beautiful gift and I’d certainly wear it out to dinner, etc.. Then again I’m not in the US.

outtatime and Nobel Prize like this.
  20. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 3, 2018

Honestly, I do not think the average person in the US even notices what someone else's watch looks like.