Forums Latest Members

Why so many Omegas on epay from Japan?

1. dputydwg1 Apr 22, 2019

I'm in the USA and when shopping/looking on the bay I see so many pre-owned Omegas for sale at somewhat good prices, but I feel there must be a catch somewhere and I am reluctant to buy from anywhere outside of USA. I *have* bought from the UK but only twice, took forever to receive and had to pay customs on top of the price.

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 22, 2019

Japanese watch collectors like to "trade-up" whenever possible. There are a number of very large dealers in Japan that cater specifically to this market.

The good news is that some of these watches can be very nice and prices reasonable. On the other hand, sometimes the watches are "ridden hard and hung up wet", but the prices tend to be close to or the same as the nicer ones. Almost as if they priced them from a catalog listing without really looking at the overall condition. You still need to be careful of frankens and redials.

I have purchased several watches from Japan and never had an issue with customs when sent via EMS. Value was always fully declared. The Japanese don't mess around.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 22, 2019

They sell vintage Omegas in Japan??:eek:

lando, cicindela, fskywalker and 3 others like this.
  4. Braindrain Apr 22, 2019

Quite true. Found a Breitling 806 with obvious dial damage and incorrect crown. They still wanted top dollar.

5. tikkathree Apr 22, 2019

I know it's not the point of your post but, speaking from the other end, your experience is the same as mine.
    "Special relationship" between our two countries? In theory yes, but so special that buying a pre-owned watch from the USA is never a bargain. Okay your $ price against our £ looks appealing but there is ALWAYS tax/duty on the declared value and postage/shipping plus the customary two week layover in HM Customs shed.

I blame those fellows with the tea and Boston harbour but only in a nice way.

6. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 22, 2019

How is it America’s fault that HM Customs house levies fees on UK imports?

It’s unfortunate when Churchill spoke of the Special Relationship between the English Speaking Peoples he was only referring to a common language, history, literature and fight for liberty in two world wars. Probably an oversight that he didn’t foresee vintage watch transactions.

shishy and kkt like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 22, 2019

I’ve scored 2 watches from there. Big watch culture. Lots of the smaller speedmasters also. My Speedy Date was there before I had it and I scored my Lemania powered Sinn 903 from there. I swear it was listed as a “remania” 903.

So 2 stereotypes confirmed?

khanmu likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 22, 2019

A $500 US watch sold to the UK becomes a $600 watch (due to VAT) When sold back to the US it becomes a $650 watch ( due to sales Tax )

Someone’s making money :whistling: and pushing the price of vintage watches up.....

lando and Hans the Wolf like this.
  9. ericmtl Apr 23, 2019

Had nothing but good experiences when buying from Japan, from Rare watches to expensive pens (all pre-owned), only thing I noticed they don't bargain much on the price. (found a lot of rare Omega accessories there also)

efauser likes this.
  10. connieseamaster Apr 23, 2019

Co-signed on the no bargaining. I picked up a very excellent Dynamic I blue bullseye but the seller wouldn't budge an inch despite me watching the thing go unsold for 2 months.

11. Wryfox Apr 23, 2019

A serious note...pay attention to the case size and band length!!

Many Japanese wear what we would call 'boy' watches with smaller cases. Some models are made specifically for the Asian market to be smaller, but look exactly the same as full size.

What may look like a great deal may actually be a 34mm case size and 6cm band length.

Check the listing!

Batoche, Toishome, Davidt and 2 others like this.
  12. BradleyJ. Apr 23, 2019

I purchased a watch about 10 days ago and it shipped EMS. 24 hours after I placed the order the watch was in NY. It's been 9 days since and EMS tracking says the last place it was seen was customs. Very frustrating.

The fact that the Japanese wear smaller pieces is actually very convenient for people like me who look for smaller watches. My mid 2000s 36mm railmaster had a tag that was in Yen. In the mid 2000s when watchers were huge, no one would have considered a 36mm RM in the US.

Edited Apr 23, 2019
  13. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Apr 23, 2019

There was a time when I would not have dreamed of buying anything from Japan. But acquiring my Japan Racing 2004 Speedy softened me up somewhat. And, just recently, I found just the 3590.50 I was seeking for my son's birthday on eLady. Since there are several thumbs-up for this business here on the Forum, I decided to give it a go . . . and it's been a 100% positive experience. My outlook turn-around has also allowed me recently to buy an ex-Japan Lupo Gti, a very rare car here in the UK, and the beauty of one that previously lived in Tokyo is that the underside is in super condition thanks to the salt-free roads over there. Blimey, I may even be tempted eventually to buy a Japanese electronic product of some sort!

14. jobaoneill Apr 23, 2019

I LOVE the Japanese designed Omegas, I have a 3511.20 generally released for the Asian markets - and its so beautiful and well balanced.

15. ericmtl Apr 23, 2019

Don't forget to check also on Rakuten japan and put in the ''shipping to : Japan'' , you'll be amazed how many Pre-owned omega there is ! and most of the time even if they mention will only ship inside Japan they will still be open to ship elsewhere as long as you don't mind paying extra shipping.

connieseamaster likes this.
  16. Wryfox Apr 23, 2019

Fancy Japanese Speedy...1996 special edition...original yellow band.

20180116_132627.jpg

joeshoup, kkt and 89-0 like this.
  17. arturo7 Apr 23, 2019

That's cool!

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 23, 2019

Grab a Japanese knife while your at it, the make some great ones......

19. fskywalker Apr 26, 2019

Yes they do! My 3592.50 numbered edition came from there ;)

20. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Apr 26, 2019

whoooooosh....

89-0 and ext1 like this.