Forums Latest Members

Why should I sell a watch here? Is it worth it? And how safe is it

1. j4mesbond Apr 10, 2014

I know when it comes to selling on line Ebay is the first port of call for many. Not just because it is on line more because Paypal and Ebay offer great levels of buyer protection. Why would I want to sell one here? I assume everyone has an auto refreshing page on their fav ebay save. Intrigued to know why? Please advise.

2. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Apr 10, 2014

There are a few good reasons. A more practical one is the avoidance of Ebay fees (7% of the final price). Secondly, there are some collectors that don't venture to the shores of fleabay. A last and equally valid reason is the generation of a community that enjoys to collect and marvel at watches together.

3. Northernman Lemaniac Apr 10, 2014

And you can still use PayPal... Not limited to eBay.

4. j4mesbond Apr 10, 2014

Thanks for the replies chaps. I can use both of course.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 10, 2014

For certain use paypal if safety is your biggest concern, from our perspective we don't make anything off watches that get sold here, and occasionally have to deal with mediating sour deals, though that happens here far less than ebay generally. We have no real reason to market or push our FS section, its just a resource we provide as a natural component of a vintage watch enthusiast community. But yea, entirely your preference, some watches sell for more on eBay, some watches probably sell for more on here due to the number of collectors that congregate.

6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 10, 2014

Benefitof having a trusted buyer, who isnt going to dick you around.

STANDY likes this.
  7. woodwkr2 Apr 10, 2014

eBay plus PayPal fees are 13.6% for me... I'm not sure how you're paying 7%

8. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 10, 2014

I know I feel very comfortable buying and selling here because if a watch is not what it is being represented as it will not go unnoticed. Not good if you are a shady seller though:)

Northernman likes this.
  9. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Apr 10, 2014

What do mean by safe?

like are you worried someone is going to come to your house and **** you?

i don't sell watches but I buy a lot of them lots of different ways but the one common denominator is always:

i pay, first.

I receive watch, second.

not sure where there's any risk to the seller financially so I guess my first scenario is what's scaring you?

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 10, 2014

Oh yeah........we are more than happy to pounce anybody try to misrepresent their watch in our FS section.:mad: Try that in EBay......

I call this community guard. Its value is beyond the premium (well sometimes it is a discount which happened for watch gone within less than 30 minutes of its post) that seller may put in their price here, especially for newbie buyer.

11. woodwkr2 Apr 10, 2014

Kinda like a good ol' fashion community. You know those quaint little places of antiquity where people used to live and work and leave their back doors unlocked at night.

12. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Apr 10, 2014

I was talking about Ebay fees only because many of us still use Paypal.