Forums Latest Members
  1. Shailor Aug 19, 2017

I've wondered why folks tend to gravitate towards a single watch brand above others. My Dad was a Bulova man.
    My fascination with Omega goes back to the 1968 Olympics. The Omega logo seemed everywhere, including the split second display on our black and white TV screen. Pretty impressive to be trusted to accurately time the Olympics, I thought.Then, in the early 70's I saw my first Speedmaster. The department store was selling it for less than $300.00. To a broke teenager, it may just have been a million dollars. The die was cast. I was now an Omega man.
    Other watches look cool, like many IWC offerings, but I still lean towards Omega.

mikechi22 and Spruce like this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 19, 2017

Heritage

3. watchos Aug 19, 2017

Goldeneye made me notice Omega. Before that I don’t think I had even heard of the brand. I really wanted that Seamster. Just like Shailor, it was completely inaccesible to me. When I finally bought my first Omega earlier this year, the Speedmaster Pro seemed way more interesting with its rich history. The branding in the Bond films has really made a huge impact on my point view of watch brands.

Spruce likes this.
  4. sevenhelmet Aug 19, 2017

I wanted a Speedmaster since I saw the movie Apollo 13 as a kid. I finally got to the point where I could afford one, and I love it. Along the way, discovered I really like the entire Omega brand. While Omega does have a tendency to get trigger happy with the number of variations, limited editions, and special releases, I do appreciate that they are continually trying new things while keeping older models available as a testament to the brand's history.

5. Riviera Paradise Aug 19, 2017

My take... Good products wrapped with intangibles such as: heritage, striving for technical innovation, Olympic fair play, moon expedition excellence and team effort spirit.

Generally a less "in your face luxury" vibe than the "main competitor". Omega men and women are team players, care about the planet, family and don't want to win at any cost....

LOL...I really got carried away there on the hubris...could almost hear the orchestra playing Elgar's Nimrod in the background:D

I have to say Omega and JLC are the brands I most identify with from an emotional perspective. I also get very well treated by their boutique staff:)

I own Rolex because of the product not because I have any empathy with the brand.

Jwit and Longbow like this.
  6. rob#1 Aug 20, 2017

When I was growing up, my best mate's dad worked in a watch shop. He used to sell and service all kinds of watches, and I remember him telling me that Omegas were the best watch to buy as they were made to the highest quality and were designed to last. I won't repeat what he said about Rolexes, etc. but what he said stuck in my mind, and along with the brand's exposure via the Olympics and NASA I always hankered after an Omega.

Thus many years later I am now the proud owner of 2 classic watches, and what he said is true.

7. panaitchrono Aug 20, 2017

Because of the legendary moon missions..

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 20, 2017

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 20, 2017

Jwit likes this.
  10. Tik-Tok of Oz Aug 20, 2017

Search function?
    When did we get a search function?
    ::stirthepot::

Jwit likes this.
  11. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 20, 2017

Then why not Rolex or Seiko?

BrianMcKay, Jwit and Tik-Tok of Oz like this.
  12. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 20, 2017

That's a far better, well thought out answer. Aren't you glad you got my blessing?;)

Jwit likes this.
  13. GordonL Aug 20, 2017

but in the original Bond books, his watch of choice was a Rolex Oyster Perpetual. It wasn't till the later films that he started wearing an Omega...

14. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Aug 20, 2017

For me it's simple, there's been no other watch makers that has kept me in love with their designs throughout the years right up to current day than Omega. There are very few that I don't like, plus as a bonus while not cheap, they aren't exactly out of reach either. I could fill watch box after watch box with them if I only had the money and an even more understanding wife, as it is though I've tended to own only one at a time, still my favourite brand though.

15. albertob Aug 20, 2017

My grandfather only owned omega

Jwit, mikechi22 and Tik-Tok of Oz like this.
  16. Brauner Hund Aug 20, 2017

I'm new to Omega.
    I've come across from 'the other brand' for three reasons:
    1. The SMP with sword hands is near my childhood/teenage definition of being a toolwatch - see point 3, below.

2. I find Rolex's corporate attitude distasteful - especially their peculiar secrecy. In contrast, my, very limited, communication with Omega has had fast, competent and helpful responses

3. Rolex's 'toolwatch' trajectory has done this (which I've posted elsewhere before), the 4 and 5 digit ethos captured me, the 6 ethos does the opposite:
    Untitled presentation_zpsjrspxf6d.jpg

17. Tik-Tok of Oz Aug 20, 2017

Likewise, but for myself it started with the moon landing.

18. any4xx Aug 20, 2017

I started shopping for a Submariner, because that's what all of us newbys do. But I got lucky and was able to hold a SMPc in one hand and the Rolex in the other. I liked the Omega better. Then I wanted a Daytona. But I liked the Speedy better.

Jwit likes this.
  19. any4xx Aug 20, 2017

Forgot to add: After buying my SMP and my Speedy, I decided I wanted a watch with Chrono AND a date. Omega won again, as Rolex had no such animal. So all three of my "nice" watches are Omegas.

Jwit likes this.
  20. BPD Aug 20, 2017

To each their own I guess. I love my TAGS, Omegas and the lone Rolex (soon to have a companion) just as equally :)
    IMAG0035_1.jpg