Forums Latest Members
  1. Lulu Bear May 31, 2015

Why, of all the choices in watch brands, have you chosen Omega?

Fortunately, I had the foresight to see if the question has been raised before, which obviously it has: https://omegaforums.net/threads/why-omega.19782/. Since the question has already been raised, I'm very keen to hear whether any of the previous posters would like to update/add their responses, or if there are new contributors to this question.

(I have my own reasons, but as a guppy in a big pond, I'm sure they're not as interesting as some of the big fish that swim in these waters.)

2. ulackfocus May 31, 2015

Why not?

emilio and citizenrich like this.
  3. Lulu Bear May 31, 2015

Well, there are a host of brands to choose from so there must be something(s) compelling that differentiates Omega from the others.

4. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 31, 2015

They have a wide range of offerings that I really like. Originally only wanted the speedmaster, but then once I learned more about Omega I really liked the other offerings. My favorites are Speedy, AT, Ploprof, PO, plus there are many cool vintage offerings as well.

Basically I like most all their models.

Also, they use to be more affordable, but this seems to have changed over last three years, so great that I own many now, but not so great for future purchases.

I am concluding that these price increases are now pushing me to look at JLC and Blancpain (other favorites that I thought I could never afford). As the step up to these brands is not looking as steep as they did three years ago.

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 31, 2015

Assortment - huge variety of models and variants between models
    Availability - lots made so a few really nice examples still exist and are sold
    Affordability - despite the rise in prices over the past few years, I feel many models are still undervalued

Matty01 likes this.
  6. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 31, 2015

My Dad has one.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 31, 2015

O before R, except before JLC.

Longbow, M.D. and Lulu Bear like this.
  8. WatchVaultNYC May 31, 2015

I grew up wanting an Omega. So it's really an irrational reason - unlike most people buying expensive, inaccurate mechanical watches

chickenman26 likes this.
  9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 31, 2015

I like watches, good watches. Omega has them. Other brands have them. I'm not particularly tied to any brand but if the watch fits.....

10. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book May 31, 2015

About 10-12 years ago, I read a story about Omega and the space program. Shortly thereafter, I purchased your basic modern moon watch, a 3570.50. It was a great daily wearer for years. A more recent renewed interest in watches has added just one more Omega, an Ed White.
    However, I believe this forum plays a considerable part in my continued interest. I believe I speak for many in saying that this is the most enjoyable watch forum to participate in. So although I don't have the near obsession with Omega that some have, I enjoy learning something new Omega related each day from this forum.

11. leetse2 May 31, 2015

Quality and bang for the buck. Also feel like some of the pieces are a little more under the radar from other major brands.

12. CdnWatchDoc May 31, 2015

History and variety. Omega has both in spades. And, gotta admit, Speedies and Seamasters have my eye!

Matty01 likes this.
  13. repoman Jun 1, 2015

The chicks dig it

Baz9614, Mad Dog, dsio and 3 others like this.
  14. lillatroll Jun 1, 2015

Its partly because they have many cool watches that I love the look of and partly because they are good quality. I think Rolex are a bit of a geezers watch and since I decided to collect only one brand and my first vintage purchase was an Omega I decided to stick to this brand although i do have an old Tag and a Seiko which I wear as beaters.

TexasKevin and CanberraOmega like this.
  15. foxtrot Jul 13, 2015

Omega is working a philosophy on aesthetics, that I found it is leading for people that likes functional watches.
    For example, I can define for the second brand I like more, Rolex, on its aesthetics (let´s stay just on this, for moment):
    FUNCTIONAL MODERN CLASSIC, CONSERVATIVE, TIMELESS, CLOSE TO BE BORING, NEAR TO BE OLD FASHIONABLE.
    For Omega I will tell:
    FUNCTIONAL MODERN CLASSIC, LESS CONSERVATIVE, TIMELESS, ENJOYABLE, AVANT GARDE APPROACH.

Sprob likes this.
  16. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jul 13, 2015

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Tom

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 13, 2015

That's why I've been wearing my Apple Watch a bit lately, to get the chicks to leave me alone for a change

Longbow, vadimo, Fritz and 9 others like this.
  18. shutterlife Jul 13, 2015

Fell in love with the Seamaster 15 years ago. Never looked else where in their price range ever since.

19. squidward Jul 13, 2015

For me it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb/status symbol as a lot of other watch brands, but still retains the versatility of being worn in any situation you could think of. Also, the speedmaster professional is a timeless piece and doesn't disappoint every time you look at it.

BrianMcKay, Longbow and Mad Dog like this.
  20. Canuck Jul 13, 2015

I am an horological omnivore. Omega is not the only brand I collect. My introduction to Omega was in the 1950s. Omega has a lot more competition today than it did back then. But back then, it really stood out amongst offerings from most other makers. In particular, from the 1950s offerings of many other brands that Swatch (Omega) now owns. From that perspective, many other brands Swatch owns today, are standouts in their own right, what with shared movements, etc. Amongst my Omegas, my favourites are my two Louis Brandt CCR railroad watches, my Speedmaster Professional (Apollo XI ltd. edition), and my Speedmaster automatic in steel and 18-karat rose gold. To cut to the chase, I have more Rolex watches than I have Omegas.

Fritz likes this.