Forums Latest Members
  1. bilemshious Dec 22, 2014

Just wondering what brought you guys here? Why do you buy, trade, collect, etc. Omega? There are many brands out there of course...

I think I am attracted to the history. They seemed to be on the forefront of innovation of accurate movements. They're classic! Plus, of course, there is the Moon Watch.

What about you?

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 22, 2014

I honestly don't know....Originally I think I wanted a tool watch I could wear, rather than a brand that would be wearing me. I had some dress IWC and Baume&Mercier and Cartier, and a couple of Pilot watches, but I was missing a good diving watch and all around traveller and at the time I was put off by the new Rolex lines. Omega just seemed right. Prestige, design, quality and no fluff. The Moonwatch came later for me...and I did ended up getting a Rolex, but I went for the vintage 5512.

bilemshious likes this.
  3. repoman Dec 22, 2014

I inherited a pre-moon Speedy, that's what started me on this very costly, but very enjoyable horological pursuit. I like other brands too, and have a few non-omega watches, but I like to focus my resources on Omega as I really enjoy building a collection that is all "connected" in some way (my particular interest is in modern Speedmaster Professional LE's.

bilemshious likes this.
  4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 22, 2014

I didn't own an Omega until I joined this forum - I was resolutely a Zenith man. In the last two years, I have bought more Omegas than Zeniths - there are some persuasive enablers here.

bilemshious likes this.
  5. iLuveketchup Dec 22, 2014

I'm here for the mechanical Speedmaster Pro moonwatch. I think it's awesome that you can buy a watch that is basically the same as it was introduced in the 50s/60s. For me it's equivalent to going to a Porsche dealer today and being able to buy a '73 911 RS new off the showroom floor. How awesome is that!! Not a fan of any modern Speedmaster iteration such as the DSOTM, GSOTM, etc (equivalent to a new 911 Turbo).

bilemshious likes this.
  6. Hijak Dec 22, 2014

Stewart if you ever want to unload some of those Zeniths to make more room for your Omegas, just lit me know!;)

Northernman likes this.
  7. Maximus84 Dec 22, 2014

My grandfather had a 1976 Constellation that he put on an expandable metal bracelet. I used to play with it as a kid not knowing how expensive etc it was. I also remember looking at watches in the jewellers windows and Omega was the brand that stood out. In particular, I liked the Speedy Pro. At the time, I had no idea of the history and significance of the watch and the brand, but I liked it.

When my grandfather passed, his watch went to my father, who also passed ten years ago now. The connie fell to me and I had it restored by Omega. I recently turned 30 and wanted something special, so I bought that Speedy Pro I'd admired all those years ago. I'm hoping it'll be a loyal servant for many years, and can be a part of memories for my children as they grow up.

teo66, Tritium, DocHolliday and 5 others like this.
  8. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Dec 22, 2014

My Dad has one, a Century with a waffle face and a 30mm movement in it... he's had it for about 60 years, Mom got it for him for his birthday. It stopped three or four years ago and is sitting on his end table. It still looks beautiful and I suppose one day, not too soon I hope, it'll be mine and I'll get it cleaned and running again. I remember looking at it on his arm when I was a small lad and thinking it was really nice..... so I guess I was bound to end up with Omega watches myself.

bilemshious and Maximus84 like this.
  9. Lee CL Dec 23, 2014

Can you find any watches that run on par, or maybe, better than Rolex but sell cheaper than Rolex?

bilemshious likes this.
  10. alfanator Dec 23, 2014

My parents had Omegas and Rolex. I did not venture too far.

bilemshious likes this.
  11. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Dec 23, 2014

It's not complicated.

I like vintage Omega. :)

bilemshious, CdnWatchDoc and Hijak like this.
  12. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Dec 23, 2014

I bought a really nice 1944 Rolex to go with my 30mm Omegas, seemed to fit in well.....

It was not nearly the same quality, I don't know about the new stuff (not interested) but if you're into old watches Omega beats Rolex.

that Rolex went in a deal that got me a nice Constellation.

bilemshious likes this.
  13. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Dec 23, 2014

Kinda this...
    For the price, even now that many have been educated by this very forum, Omega remains one of the highest quality-to-price vintage watches available. And like Rolex, a ton were made, respected and maintained to some degree by their owners (not discarded), and (until the very near future) a good chain of parts available for vintage pieces.
    Longines is my other quality-to-price favorite. Many made, good survival rate, decent parts availability. Others may trump them for quality, but those tend to be scarcer, more expensive, and harder to find parts for repair (Universal comes to mind, although there are some nice deals on those too).

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 23, 2014

C'mon, there are many great watch brands that have their merits. Iwc, JLC, Bell&ross, Vaucheron C, P. Phillip bell & ross, Cartier, and many more.

It's a matter of deciding tool watches, luxury or what not.

I have a century old trench watch, a Waltham, now there's a war horse, and then there are obscure or lesser known brands. German, Swiss, American. Let's not ignore greatness.

Tool wat

Edited Dec 24, 2014
  15. scook94 Dec 24, 2014

You forgot to mention Bell&Ross, oh wait... ;)

BrianMcKay and Archer like this.
  16. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 24, 2014

:whipped: So much pressure! I think I forgot many others too. B&R just has a nice ring to it after a bottle of wine and before bed...

17. bilemshious Dec 24, 2014

Not quite the direction I saw this thread going...

To me it's not about what other brands don't have or what they are not, but what Omega is and represents.

18. Watchguy31-us Dec 24, 2014

For me, there is something about the history of Omega that draws me in. Right or wrong, I see them as the premier watch company up until the Quartz crisis. The 564 is still my favorite movement of all time.

I truly believe if they would have stuck to their guns (mechanical chronometer movements) during the 70's/80's, the watch market would be Omega and then everything else.

I like the OF, because a lot of people appreciate the history here, and respect other brands as well.

I personally prefer other brands for GMT watches (Rolex) and can openly discuss it here.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 25, 2014

Well Said. and I agree. I also love the quality of their new products. It looks like many brands have tried very hard to innovate, and other's like Rolex have stayed conservative and just made very small changes. Omega has some tremendous effort behind their new movements and even on the details of the bi-color Lumes, Bezels and the new dials. I'm not saying I like them all, and certainly I don't favor the bejeweled models; but when you hold a new Omega o your hands versus other brands it just feels superior (on the sporting category up to the Aqua Terra for me) The AT is to me an incredible watch as it has all the classic elements of it's line along all the new advances on Movements etc. Also they have been slightly kore daring with the sizes, sometimes too daring maybe, but certainly giving a lot of option to us buyers.

bilemshious likes this.
  20. flw history nerd Dec 25, 2014

For me, it's a bit of personal history more than anything else. When I was in college (longer ago than I care to admit) I had a summer job working at a jeweler. My father gave me an Omega that he had worn for many years in the 1970s (I have tried unsuccessfully to figure out precisely what it was), and it needed servicing. It was either an 18k YG or TT Constellation, I think, although I can't be certain. In any event, I was a complete watch noob (NOT a WIS in those days) and when the store manager said I could get the service done free of charge by sending it to "his" watch repair guy, off it went.

You can guess the rest ... After waiting months, all I got back was a note saying that the watch had been "lost" ... No insurance since I had signed a waiver as part of the service. To this day I am convinced that the service guy took one look at the watch, stole it and fenced it. My Dad was livid. In any event, ever since then I have wanted an Omega ... And now I have my retribution!! I'm an Omega devotee ... Although I pine for a black Rolex Submariner to go with my SMP Diver.