Forums Latest Members

Why OMEGA ? Why not Rolex, IWC, Breitling...?

1. ohmzx Mar 24, 2017

Guys,

Tell me a short a story of why you pick Omega over Rolex or any other Brand.

My story; Started from seeing my mom wearing an Omega as a kid. Feel like Omega is luxury brand that is not too flashy. Lately I love the brand even more after I studied more about the history.

What's your story?

ThomasFin, jraab and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  2. shutterlife Mar 24, 2017

James Bond and Pierce Brosnan. Got my first Omega back in 2002 because of it. Seamaster Pro. Still my daily wear, even though I have three other Omegas.

jedical, watch3s, mokofoko and 3 others like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 24, 2017

4. redpcar Mar 24, 2017

I don't. I pick it along with IWC, Rolex, etc.

bigdubnick, watch3s, Syrte and 7 others like this.
  5. ohmzx Mar 24, 2017

6. lhawli Mar 24, 2017

Although I have the Seamaster PO Pro (42mm with 2500D) and the speedy Pro (sapphire sandwich) I also own a Rolex DJ41 and a SubC date.

So not exactly choosing one over the other, but both!

PS I did own an IWC pilot and got rid of it. I do appreciate Breitling navitimer 01 but they are either too big or dial too busy.

nonuffinkbloke and ohmzx like this.
  7. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Mar 24, 2017

Both of my grandfathers have(had) Omega Constellations. I feel that it's just in my blood. And I actually feel something with omega that I don't feel with other brands. Can't explain it, nor do I want to be able to.

chanbar, jraab, noelekal and 7 others like this.
  8. Kazyole Mar 24, 2017

I mean it's not like I don't own watches from other brands, but the speedy was the first watch I was ever really aware of, and can ever remember wanting (because of its association with the Apollo program). Right now I have a 105.012-66CB in my collection, and I just ordered the 60th anniversary speedy re-issue because the 2915 is my all-time favorite watch.

The speedmaster is essentially what got me into watches.

That said, I wear my vintage gmt master most days.

Spy, nonuffinkbloke and ohmzx like this.
  9. ohmzx Mar 24, 2017

Well said. I think i feel the same way. Classy but not flashy, that's how i put it.

Jwit and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  10. cvera Mar 24, 2017

Girlfriend broke my cheap watch right before a paid internship.

My boss had an omega and my uncle had a rolex and a breitling.

Omega was the only one within reach, so I researched it the most and liked the company.

I kept the first omega I bought back then, but also have bought other brands such as breitling
    . Would never sell my first omega though.

Spy, ohmzx and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  11. Ree Mar 24, 2017

Because Rolex, IWC, Brietling doesn't make a Speedmaster ;)jk
    But frankly because Speedmasters are the only watches I desire :thumbsup: I love automotive in general (the 'speed' in Speedmaster), its the perfect size for my wrist at 39-42mm, the beautifully proportioned chrono subidals, the lack of dates, the manual-wind routine and of course, the Moon achievement.

Edited Mar 25, 2017
    watch3s, River, Rtboy10 and 3 others like this.
  12. lhawli Mar 25, 2017

Generally speaking, there is 2 types of people who buy omega...
    (1) the ones who appreciate them and love the brand for what it stood for in achievements and still stands for in innovation. (I am in this camp).
    (2) there's the ones who can't afford a Rolex and opt for an omega as the alternative.

Now (2) does not make omega a lesser watch, it's all down to marketing as the current MSRP prices are par with Rolex, unfortunately they don't hold up as well in resale.

Good thing is I never plan on selling my Seamaster PO or my Speedy Pro!

FYI my speedy pro is my go to watch, exception being my DJ41, which I wear at work 5 days a week.

Edited Mar 25, 2017
    watch3s, ohmzx and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  13. Meme-Dweller Mar 25, 2017

> Implying we only own one watch

14. Poppydog Mar 25, 2017

I imagine it's not about brand for everyone. I have Omegas, Rolexes and Breitlings but they're all dive watches, and I only have ones that are aesthetically pleasing to my eye. So, for example, I have a blue and a black SMPc, but don't at all like the post 2500 POs and wouldn't touch them. There are some things I like about each of those brands and some things I don't, so for me, it's less about the brand itself, and more about which brands design a watch that fits my personal aesthetics.

15. munichblue Mar 25, 2017

I can not say exactly what brought me to Omega. The brand has somehow grown very slowly to the heart. Ironically I did not like the speedy so much at the beginning and it took years - today I love it hot and heartfelt.

16. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 25, 2017

Who are IWC?

Syrte, RRMagyar and Interstellar like this.
  17. korneevy Mar 25, 2017

Exactly my journey... I'had worn everything from Panerai to Blancpain with JLC, Rolex, IWC, GO etc etc in between. Have had over 20 high and mid end watches and never once took Omega seriously... all that low-grade marketing with celebs -Clooney, really? - was turning me off. I knew the Speedy was a respectable watch but never liked the look of it when I inspected in stores etc. A few months back I took a brand new Speedy Pro on a trade for a song and thought I'd flip it and put money towards something of a PP Nautilus variety. I'd worn the watch around the house for an evening just to get a sense of it, and man I all of sudden loved it. Swapped the bracelet (which is kind of cheap 90s Tag H appeal if you ask me), put in on a old cardovan strap, and bang, was love at a first sight. Haven't taken it off for 2-3 weeks after, ordered a few bespoke straps and couldn't be happier. Now, that limited edition Speedy is really something, I've got an itch but having TWO Omegas in same year? And buying at full retail? Unheard of! Not sure how it is going to pan out...

Edited Mar 26, 2017
  18. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Mar 25, 2017

I INHERITED MY ADMIRATION FROM MY DAD. He loved his Seamaster and his Speedmaster 105.012. When I was a kid growing up in London in the 1960's we had very little money. My Dad worked hard but also liked drinking and gambling on the dogs and horses. We had a coal fire and most of our furniture was second hand. I think my Dad saw his Omega watches as a symbol of his aspiration for a better life for us. Even though we were 'piss poor', we would have a lovely watch in order to measure the duration of our poverty. He used to keep his Speedmaster on the bedside table in a red box that had some paper folded inside. (What the hell did my Mum do with that?) ::facepalm1::

As a kid, I was facinated by it but If I went near it he would say "Oy! Get away from my Omeeeyga!!!... ya know ya don't touch Daddy's watch!... now 'fakk awff' out of it or I'll cuff ya round the earole!" (I had a very delicate upbringing):D

Well I have now owned that Speedmaster sInce 2003, when the old man 'popped his clogs'. The watch has spent most of it's 52 years in and around London, UK, so that may explain the grime on it but I'm not sure what accounts for the tropical dial. In the photograph, below, taking in the 1970's the dial still appears to be black. The photo also shows that by this time my Dad had already replaced the the bracelet with the 1171/633 that is still on the watch today.

To sum up, I think I liked anything my Dad liked, and I kind of inherited my admiration for Omega watches as they were so out of reach when I was a child.

Additionally I was born at the end of 1957 and the names of my school forms were the names of letters of the Greek alphabet. I started in 1 Theta, but was moved up to 2 and 3 Omega. My Mum was religious and so I became aware of Biblical references to God as "the Alpha and the Omega". It's possible that these vague, childhood references to the word 'Omega' all added to my affinity with the Omega name. More likely, it's just the fact that I can't remember seeing my Dad without an Omega watch on his wrist.
    This thread could do with some pictures so here's a couple of shots, from many years ago, of the old man with his Seamaster and Speedmaster.

31a2c785-e62f-485f-82b2-7436260a1999.jpg
    Edited Apr 27, 2017
    danwo82, Albe100, bgkbck and 26 others like this.
  19. munichblue Mar 25, 2017

That is a really emotional story and thus your bond to the brand is perfectly clear. :thumbsup:

Spy, OMGRLX and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  20. Jhh834 Really, I only owned it for 2 weeks! Mar 25, 2017

My dad handed down my grandpa's retirement watch to it me. It is an Omega. The rest is history.

jraab, Spy, munichblue and 1 other person like this.