Forums Latest Members
  1. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Apr 22, 2013

I am really surprised this is still available for sale at this price...

I think C shaped connies deserve a better appreciation... they are rare .... especially the early "C" connies... Their design reflect the Omega's craftsmanship... and they are very good transition from 50's... 60's Circular Connies...

Since the current Constellation design is so messed up ... i speculate these will be in lime light soon.;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.chrono24.com/en/omega/constellation-168009--id1813864.htm?id=1813864&comingFromRewrite=1

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 22, 2013

They are fairly common, have a case style that is not popular, and don't have piepan dials. Speaking for myself, I find the early connies more attractive, more uncommon and just plain more collectible.

3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 22, 2013

Ditto !
    My collection stops at 168.005

4. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Apr 22, 2013

I think pretty soon that gonna change.

5. ulackfocus Apr 22, 2013

C-cases are polarizing. They wear comfortably and larger than the older watches. Owned dozens of them over the years and have a few now that I break out once in a while.

The watch you linked to must have just been lowered in price because for the longest time it had an asking price of over $9,000.

6. ulackfocus Apr 22, 2013

You're not the only one, and I don't mean just me either.

7. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Apr 22, 2013

Yeah there will be day when folks here will be fighting and dibs'ing for C connies...:thumbsup:

8. kendrick Apr 22, 2013

With the added bulk, I feel they lack the elegance the earlier constellations. Also, while the price is relatively depressed compared to other solid gold, mint Connie's; they are still anything but cheap. Most are better off allocating that large sum towards other purchases.

That said, you certainly have a theme going and it would look right at home amongst amongst your grande de luxe's;)

9. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Apr 22, 2013

I am already working on that project :D .... this is part of my thesis.

10. seamonster Respectable Member Apr 22, 2013

Respectable Member sumerian

I share your view regarding the possibility of the 'C' connies, getting more interest in the near future. I would rather own the 'C' that the Constellations with 'claws' - very dreadful looking.

Some long while ago, enthusiasts and collectors were only interested in the Grand Luxe and the De Luxe Constellations, while those common pie-pans were ignored. Things changed, when the price of the top-end Constellations started to go north and stock was running low.

The 'C' has a respectable weight of more than 50gms (without bracelet), compared to the earlier Constellations, I reckon. (Please do not get me wrong, thinking that I would send the case to the furnace. I am not a murderer!) I just love a watch that is compact and heavy, at the same time.

Thank-you.

11. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Apr 22, 2013

Honarable Member Seamonster,

I share your sentiments ... and as a matter of fact the weight adds to the fact that these connies (Full gold C connies) will see better appreciation in not so distant future...

its the right time to get one when the competition is low ...

that being said i believe you were looking for a white gold C connie not so long ago.

check this out...Average Condition though

[​IMG]

http://catalog.antiquorum.com/catalog.html?action=load&lotid=189&auctionid=272

12. ulackfocus Apr 22, 2013

I guess it's as good a time as any to post some C-cases.

Current models in the box:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (although this one is on the way out ;))

Formerly owned C-cases (some still around here!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were a few more, but this post took long enough. :p

Privateday7 likes this.
  13. seamonster Respectable Member Apr 22, 2013

I appreciate your concurring with my view.

Agree, at one time I was hunting for a white gold 'C' but no longer now, since at this time I cannot even afford a basic model Tag-Heur. God willing, sooner or later the hunt will start, all over again.

Thanks for directing me to AQ. It is a beautiful watch. At this time, it will remain a dream.

Thank-you.

14. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Apr 22, 2013

This is the beauty.... this is will make any body a C Connie Believer ...

I think this is much more splendid in person... especially that dial.

15. alam Apr 22, 2013

did anyone ask how the drop in gold price will affect watches? Perhaps this is a data point shedding insight on this question.

BTW, I do enjoy my C shape Connie!

[​IMG]

16. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 23, 2013

I love my C case Connie........but no aspiration for all gold one. They look more handsome in stainless steel IMO. Some model just destined that way.....

17. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 23, 2013

You are absolutely right, just quick visit in local pre-owned watch stores in Jakarta, they readily give 5-10% discount for their all gold watches, especially the ones made before 2005. I think they want to reduce their exposure in all gold watches in this uncertain time.
    The bad news they also heavily discounted our all-gold watch if we want to sell to them.
    Not so much discount for two tone watches, though.

18. seamonster Respectable Member Apr 23, 2013

Respectable Member alam

I personally think the price of good gold watches, whether new or vintage, will not be adversely affected, when the price of gold goes down - it is momentarily, till someone decides the price of gold should go up.

I have observed, the price of new Rolex watches, whether stainless-steel or solid gold, will always increase regularly, irrespective whether the price of gold goes up or down, or maybe even given away for free.

Thank-you.

19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 23, 2013

I like C cases, here are two of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. seamonster Respectable Member Apr 23, 2013

Just like anything else, I agree when the price is low, there is no interest in the item. The moment the price starts shooting up, there will be a rush for it.

Just like your Grand Luxe, at one time not many were keen to own one. However today, your experience supports the above scenario.

Thank-you.