Forums Latest Members

Why isn’t the Railmaster getting more love?

1. Stufflers Mom Jun 22, 2019

I think the new version while being closer to the original is not patch on this beauty, which to my mind is a timeless design.
    It's also resting on my Dad's locomotiveman's pocket book.

029c121a-d0a5-4c4e-abbe-c8b0864bd421_zps5lx8qsc4.jpg

2. Theognosis Jun 26, 2019

I don't know about you gentlemen, but the Railmaster 60th in my eyes is the most beautiful watch ever made.

IMG_20190626_174003.jpg
  3. stevec14 Jun 26, 2019

That is a great pic. Makes me regret letting mine go. My only reservation was that the lugs were slightly too long for the watch IMO, but I look at the secondary prices now and think about re-acquiring.....

Theognosis likes this.
  4. Theognosis Jun 26, 2019

Glad you liked it! The lugs are long, yes, but they are curved so they follow the shape of the wrist. I do actually prefer these lugs over the usual Omega twisted lugs which look awkward on a bracelet. The long lugs also help make the 38mm watch appear larger than it actually is—that is why the RM looks as good today as it was in 1957. Hope you can find a good deal soon as this one is the keeper of all keepers.

Longbow likes this.
  5. krh7 Jun 26, 2019

i dig it, but would opt for an explorer in most cases. i do like the vintage lume on these.

6. Binsull Jun 27, 2019

I agree!!!

[​IMG]

7. Theognosis Jul 3, 2019

IMG_20190703_181146.jpg IMG_20190703_172331.jpg The leather strap that came with the Railmaster 60th isn't the best in the world. But when the watch itself is this gorgeous, who cares?

Edited Jul 3, 2019
  8. rainking Jul 3, 2019

I agree as well. Which is why I just agreed a deal with mdgrwl to acquire a NIB example. This watch has been haunting me for more than a year. I'm usually a Speedmaster fan first and foremost, and I love the 60th Speedy for sure, but there's just something about the Railmaster that's almost indescribable. Super clean, super classy, super classic. And that domed crystal is something else in person--no one really talks about it on forums and it's not obvious in photos, but when I saw it in real life for the first time, I was like, whoa.
    Can't wait to finally get my hands on this bad boy.

9. rainking Jul 11, 2019

Welp, she has arrived. Couldn't be happier. This watch is amazing. Perfect. Quick crap photo I took in my office:
    railmaster.jpg
    Thanks to @mdgrwl for a quick and painless transaction. I did something I said previously I had no interest in doing, I traded him my Speedmaster '57 broad arrow co-ax as part of this deal. I really like that watch and I wore it all the time ever since I got it 1.75 years ago. But suddenly lately, it's thickness and even more so its long lugs started to really annoy me. I found myself reverting to my Speedy Pro more often than not, so when I saw that Matt had a BNIB Railmaster at a reasonable price, well, there you go. The only downside of trading for a new watch is that you leave money on the table that you could potentially have made selling it yourself. If I was patient and had listed it myself, I may have been able to get $500-$700 more for it. But since I specifically wanted a Railmaster to replace it, I just said screw it and made the trade along with some cash. Wearing the RM now, I'm almost giddy. Zero regrets. I should have just bought the RM in the first place instead of the '57. It's the perfect size for me, it looks stunning, the domed crystal is the shite ... this is the perfect watch to complement my Speedy Pro. But I know I'm far from the first guy to spend a few bucks that, in retrospect, didn't need to be spent to figure out what I really like and to finally arrive where I want to be. Starting a vacation tomorrow, and the Railmaster is coming along for the ride. Like I said, absolutely perfect watch.

Edited Jul 11, 2019
    Tyro Rex, mblease, fskywalker and 7 others like this.
  10. Longbow Jul 12, 2019

Just call me no one
    https://omegaforums.net/attachments/railmaster-on-nato-domed-crystal-jpg.442918/

https://omegaforums.net/attachments/01-over-the-lugs-jpg.442917/

https://omegaforums.net/attachments/photo-12-railmaster-domed-crystal-jpg.449194/

https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...300-speedmaster’57.55120/page-121#post-822397

11. stevec14 Jul 12, 2019

Congrats. It’s a great watch. Enjoy it on your holidays!

fskywalker and rainking like this.
  12. tzachi Jul 12, 2019

Congrats and wear it in best of health

fskywalker and rainking like this.
  13. rainking Jul 12, 2019

Hahahaha. I know YOU'VE talked about it, brotha. And of course you are spot-on. Generally though, it is rarely mentioned, at least in the threads I've read about the watch. Part of that might be because it seems extremely difficult to capture in photos.
    You need to start wearing it again! Goddamn it is sick ...

fskywalker, Longbow and Theognosis like this.
  14. rainking Jul 12, 2019

Thanks my man. It will be on my wrist while fishing and boating LOL

fskywalker and stevec14 like this.
  15. fskywalker Jul 14, 2019

I love the Railmaster................ the older ones! ;)

IMG_8337.jpeg

IMG_7908.jpeg

Tyro Rex, watch3s and keepitsimple like this.
  16. Stufflers Mom Jul 17, 2019

A superb photo.
    If anyone is looking for one of these I noticed there's one in stock at Fraser Hart Uk at 21% off list price.

fskywalker likes this.
  17. stevec14 Jul 17, 2019

I just looked At it. Is an ex demo, and apparently they can’t guarantee it will be in the right box.

Surely they know and can be specific about what it comes with! Assuming with the usual stuff, it’s a reasonable deal.

18. FlyingSnoopy Jul 17, 2019

You are correct... it should have had a better strap..
    But this is easily corrected
    Cheers

19. ras47 Jul 19, 2019

The Explorer I is the Railmaster's competition. Here's a side-by-side of the two:

[​IMG]

Explorer : Cleaner dial, more legible.
    Explorer: Better hands. Luminous second hand.
    Explorer: Better bracelet.

I also prefer the white lume of the Rolex vs. the faux patina lume of the Railmaster.

fskywalker likes this.
  20. Caliber561 Jul 19, 2019

A response to this could easily be:
    Railmaster: more pronounced minute track => more legible.
    Railmaster: Broad arrow hands. More legible. (And what are you going to use a lumed seconds hand for anyways?)
    Railmaster: Flat-link bracelet. More comfortable.

Bonus round::stirthepot::
    Railmaster: Unique, high-dome sapphire crystal.
    Railmaster: Historically accurate sizing and detailing.
    Railmaster: Radium lume without the radiation? Count me in.
    Railmaster: Superior movement with Silicon and a longer power reserve.
    Railmaster: Cool engraving on the back.

As an owner of the 60th, I'm totally biased, but just because I'm biased doesn't mean these are totally valid points.:whistling: