Forums Latest Members

Why isn’t the Railmaster getting more love?

1. c2500 Apr 8, 2019

Also another mid-2000s Railmaster fan. At the time I was shopping around 2007ish, I had the option for either the 38.5mm black-dialed Aqua Terra (2503.50), or the equivalent sized Railmaster. Aside from the dial design (and lack of date), there didn't seem to be a compelling technical distinction between the two. I vaguely recall something about anti-magnetism, but I can't be sure.

In other words, I think the Railmaster line has been overshadowed by the AT-line, and hasn't really had anything interesting to help it stand out in comparison. Looking at the product line today, I think that argument still holds true. Railmasters are cool, but Omega has a lot of cool watches.

madjestikmoose likes this.
  2. starcraft Apr 8, 2019

love the vintage ones

[​IMG]

3. Omegafanman Apr 9, 2019

As Douglas Adams might say to make a trilogy you need four good watches so just to be clear I like the Railmaster and steam trains. My previous post was just trying to understand why it may lose traction compared to other Omega lines…. and I think it is not just down to leafs on the track.

I have put another post up regarding the modern Omega branding / family lines in that regard: -
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/modern-omega-branding-watch-family-lines-time-to-change.92965/#post-1205247

Also, not many people are aware but due to its similarity with the LEMs working environment Neil did get some special training ……….. honest (I am a marketer you can trust me :0)

NTrain.jpg
    bama2141 and c2500 like this.
  4. jankymutt Apr 9, 2019

Wow, that is a beautiful watch!

5. dan99 Apr 12, 2019

i love the simplistic design of the railmaster same reason why i love the explorer 1 by rolex, but I think it has to do with history as I am not too familiar with the railmaster heritage.

6. dc_in_sf Apr 15, 2019

I was all set to pull the trigger on the blue dialed version when we saw the teaser pictures, until I saw that horrible brown second hand. I am really hoping they do a version with the blue dial and a white second hand, I'd be all over it.

7. Longbow Apr 15, 2019

Omegafanman likes this.
  8. Chungboy Apr 17, 2019

Not necessarily a bad thing - makes it more of a niche model. Personally, I like the versatility of it (maybe not for diving though...)

Omegafanman likes this.
  9. Omegafanman Jun 21, 2019

I did not catch what wristwatch he was wearing but I would be happy to have this beauty as my company vehicle.....I saw this running last weekend. Wonderful stuff.

Train.jpg
  10. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jun 21, 2019

OMG that's about 20mins from me! I've always felt a bit sad watching the Clevedon minature railway... just a lap of a green field, not much to look at. Battery-operated locomotive rather than a steam job.

Omegafanman likes this.
  11. Omegafanman Jun 21, 2019

Not as sad as being stuck on the M5..... at least it is moving :0)

12. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jun 21, 2019

Ah... the good old weekend rush down to the south-west, guaranteed every Friday afternoon from Easter to October... you could set your Railmaster by it!

13. gbesq Jun 21, 2019

I don’t much care for the modern Railmaster for many of the same reasons noted here by other members. That being said, I’m always puzzled that the Globemaster is another model that doesn’t get more love. To me, it’s one of the best looking and most technologically advanced watches in Omega’s lineup. To each his own, I guess.

14. Longbow Jun 21, 2019

You would have to be an idiot to love the Globemaster
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/an-...mega-globemaster-or-“the-idiot-button”.62685/

fskywalker likes this.
  15. gbesq Jun 21, 2019

Longbow and fskywalker like this.
  16. SpeedyD Jun 21, 2019

Whilst it is a fine watch I think it is quite plain and boring. At least compared to so many of the new items creating a buzz lately; 2018 SMPs and the latest variants, 50th anni Speedmasters, 1948 Seamasters, DSOTM,A8. I really like the look, especially the ‘57 reissue. But always something more ‘interesting’ beats it to the back of the queue when it comes to smashing the piggy bank. Not to mention the Seamaster 300 which i think is quite similar and I think a more attractive design. Just my 2c worth. I’m sure there will be other with varying opinions, but that’s my taken on the relative ‘underrating’ of the watch. Technical aspect also that all the new ones are ‘METAS’ so the magnetic angle is bot unique anymore.

17. Snap Crackle Jun 21, 2019

Haven’t been able to get behind the newer releases with the crosshairs and “denim dan dial”. Here’s my 250352000 that keeps me from buying an explorer :D I don’t know why these don’t get the following they deserve either...but then again, we all have our opinions and as many watches available to match each one! Classic looking timeless setup on these rail masters and lume still torch bright!

CE81AF62-5202-48C0-B1DB-CFA35A38AECD.jpeg DD23B1E6-98E0-4CF2-9962-7EAB0957880E.jpeg
    watch3s and OmeGez like this.
  18. SpeedyD Jun 21, 2019

Ditto. I went for the ‘modern’ rather than the 57 version (preferred the 41mm to the 39mm). But for the classic look stainless steel, i can’t see any reason to pick the RM over the SM300. I’m quite confused really why Omega have three lines of ‘dressier’ or less dive focused Seamasters.

19. SpeedyD Jun 21, 2019

Never seen or heard of that before. Had to google it. It is indeed v large! But dare I say more interesting and different to the rest of the omega ranges to make it stand out as a distinct lone. I’d buy that over any of the current RM designs.

20. Syzygy Jun 21, 2019

Wouldn't that defeat the actual tool purpose of the watch? I love a display back because I can see the beautiful engineering of the movement, but my draw to the Railmaster, beyond the simple clean face, size, and classic look, is the anti-magnetic aspect. The movement is basically wrapped in a Faraday cage! As one in a career that has me working around fairly large electrical fields, I'm very much in love with it.

If only I had the funds to pick up a nice vintage (and if I did, I'd be terrified to wear it to work)! Seems I may have to "settle" for the Trilogy if I ever get my timing right to catch one on the OF FS posting...(feel free to PM me if if you're considering releasing one from your stable!).