Forums Latest Members

Why is the Speedmaster (vintage and modern) considered such a great watch?

1. Perrier Jul 13, 2016

Hi all

I get it was used by NASA, and that does mean something, but I don't understand why it is considered such a great watch.

If I look at the Constellation Pie Pans (especially the De Luxe and Grand De Luxe) I can understand the love for them, as they are like pieces of art, but the Speedmaster looks like a fairly generic watch. There are tons of watchmakers (especially the cheaper manufacturers) making chronographs with a Speedmaster vibe.

Can anyone educate me on this?

2. fjf Jul 13, 2016

That's also a mistery to me. They are so popular that we should have a subforum just for them. Dont get me wrong, they are nice watches, but the insane prices they go for....::popcorn::

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 13, 2016

Simple classic design.
    Reliability.
    Ruggedness.
    Comfort.
    Ease of use.
    Instant legibility for telling time.
    Magic.

Randy.Watson, lando, brunrox and 7 others like this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 13, 2016

I think the bigger question is why is the Daytona worth so much more... It came later, the movement was not as special at the time, no history with anything until Paul Newman who had a super rare dial variant. They did not get the El Premiero movement untill much later. Super hard to read...

Versus what @JimInOz said.

From a industrial design standpoint somethings just work. The Speedmaster Pro, the Datejust, the Submariner, any simple Patek (well any Patek is pretty much perfect,) the Navitimer. They do exactly what they are supposed to do, and do it while looking good. Form and Function just meld seamlessly in those watches as well as some others. Sure the Panda Daytonas with a black bezel look great, but try actually telling time on one quickly.

lando, Just Livin, OMGRLX and 3 others like this.
  5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 13, 2016

For me, it started with a 3572.50 four plus years ago. I wanted a "luxury" watch and at that time the speedy was affordable (when compared to other modern watches like rolex, JLC, etc). After spending time here and reading the Moon Watch Only book I became hooked. I would still love to get a speedy from each decade, but think the recent price hikes are going to make this a tough (but fun) challenge.

upload_2016-7-12_23-59-4.png

gostang9, Mad Dog, OMGRLX and 6 others like this.
  6. Davidt Jul 13, 2016

You don't have to like it just because others do. It's completely subjective.

If the Pie Pan Constellations sing to you, but the Speedmasters don't, what's wrong with that?

The only comment I would make is that you say they look pretty generic. Like with the Sub, I would say that's due to other manufacturers copying a tried and tested, successful design, after the event. It wasn't so generic when it first came out. Things like the external tachymeter were pretty much unheard of before the Speedmaster.

Mad Dog, Just Livin, bazamu and 7 others like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 13, 2016

As noted by @Davidt3449 The Speedy set the mark, and was copied by even the original Daytonas. You could also say the same thing about Rolex Subs, as every cheap watch maker, makes a Sub clone, same dial markers, same shoulders, same crown guard, they just change the hands a bit. I could recommend more then a few watches that at 10 feet look just like a sub and are actually decent watches under 500 bucks.

8. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 13, 2016

A female collegue of mine, who I used to share an office with, looked at my Speedmaster the first day I wore it and said: "Wow, that's a real Brad Pitt watch". I don't know if Brad P has ever worn a Speedy, but what she meant was that it, to her at least, has a very masculine look with a certain amount of visual heft to it (she likes Brad Pitt very much). I agree, it's a big but not too big no-nonsense chronograph that coupled with the history is a winner. I love the watch, I mean look at it!!

pwojnar, lando, Mad Dog and 1 other person like this.
  9. TLIGuy Jul 13, 2016

And we're off. A thread that may rival the current WUS 141 page "Will Omega ever be as good as Rolex?" thread.

Edited Jul 13, 2016
    lando, bazamu, RegF and 2 others like this.
  10. tyrantlizardrex Jul 13, 2016

On a personal level, my parents bought me a watch as a 21st birthday present (a long time ago).

I was given the choice between a Rolex, or an Omega.

My dad had always worn an omega (a 68 Geneve), so I was a bit more drawn to the brand.

When it got down to choosing a model, as a 21 year old, it was either the then new "bond" Seamaster, the X-33, or the traditional speedmaster.

The speedmaster just spoke to me... Nothing much much better or worse than other things on offer if you really drill into it, I just liked the watch.

I think a lot of people feel the same way about a lot of things: If you like it, buy it, don't worry about anyone else. If you don't, buy something else.

Edited Jul 13, 2016
    lando, ahartfie, Psych and 7 others like this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 13, 2016

Wind it everyday. Tells the time and you can time stuff. Black and white enough lume to see at night. Nothing more nothing less.
    Went to space became a classic

Bit like levi,s 501 jeans. Heaps of jeans around in the day, why them?

lando, OMGRLX, CTS-V and 3 others like this.
  12. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 13, 2016

I think of it as the Porsche 911 of watches. Despite a bewildering amount of revisions and special editions over the years, the basic DNA is still there. It's therefore achieved iconic status for its design and longevity. The "Moonwatch" connection doesn't hurt either ;)

lando, themattedial, ktc and 11 others like this.
  13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 13, 2016

The 1963 to 1988 cars maybe ;) As those cars are basically identical and almost all parts will swap, with the slight wheelbase change in 1968?

The date/reduced are 912's and the new coaxials are watercooled?

14. kov Trüffelschwein. Jul 13, 2016

Similar to @Taddyangle I've been hooked when I started looking to buy myself a birth year watch for my 30th B-day. Quickly focused on Omega, bought myself the Moonwatch Only book and started stalking for the one.

image.jpeg

In the meantime, I realized a fun passion for Straps of any kind and here as well the Speedmaster is probably the most versatile watch ever ;-)

lando, WurstEver, brunrox and 12 others like this.
  15. rollingrevolver Jul 13, 2016

That's one hell of a collection! :thumbsup:

kov likes this.
  16. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jul 13, 2016

Awesome, educated comparison ;)

Interestingly, the 911 still has two big structural differences vs. the 99% of modern sports cars - and it's pretty much the last 2 things it has in common with the original design (flat-6 (for how long?!?), rear-engined). So it still really sets it apart against the rest of the car production, which also gives it a very, very different handling vs. anything else on the road today. I feel the Speedmaster carries less PoD's vs. its watch peers.

As I joined the forum, I have to say I struggled to understand the interest for the speedy, except (some) LE versions that have funky looks (Tintin, I'm looking at you). But I have to say it's growing on me. Probably a bit of braiwashing, a bit of peer pressure too. But as I bought MWO recently I'm beginning to feel really interested. Problem is, the ones that I visually like the most (step dial, applied logo) are those I'm not ready to pay for ;)

Paul

ahartfie and noelekal like this.
  17. Perrier Jul 13, 2016

Thanks for your replies so far.

So if I wanted to buy the NASA version (I'm assuming this is the most sought after version), what is the exact model number?

18. tyrantlizardrex Jul 13, 2016

When you say "The NASA version", do you mean, the first one used, others used in the history of space exploration, the current one? ;)

19. Kwijibo Jul 13, 2016

as for me :

mythical piece (with a part of marketting)
    wow legibility
    extremly good value compared to modern co axial "things"
    reliable movement plus good looking
    perfect size for may wrist

OMGRLX likes this.
  20. Perrier Jul 13, 2016

Haha yeah that's the problem! I am so confused as to the "best" one.

For me that would probably be the first one which went into space.