Forums Latest Members

Why is everyone selling their 60th birthday (mostly) Speedmaster

1. Ferik Dec 28, 2017

We marveled at them yet no one seems to hold on to them. There are many for sale.

Less so of the Seamaster and Railmaster

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 28, 2017

Capitalism.

stockae92, Kwijibo and watch3s like this.
  3. abrod520 Dec 28, 2017

Since the Silver Snoopy, Speedmaster LEs attract flippers. There are more than enough of these to go around, so that's why they languish on FS posts for weeks and weeks at the inflated asking prices these flippers want.

Nobel Prize, htiek, jayhawks and 5 others like this.
  4. shek_n_bake Dec 28, 2017

It will be interesting to see if any sell at the prices that are being asked.

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 28, 2017

Looks like there's about 20+ on watchrecon right now...

6. Jking something intelligent and witty... Dec 28, 2017

have they all been delivered yet?

7. shek_n_bake Dec 28, 2017

Looks like lots of people are still waiting for theirs. I just got mine today in the mail, I found it by randomly by making an inquiry at an AD in Florida who's website I peruse from time to time and had one listed (they even had one Seamaster from the trilogy). This doesn't help matters, I definitely feel the folks that have had their name on the waitlist since Baselworld should have received theirs before I did.

8. vintageguy3 Dec 29, 2017

it’s called the greater fool theory. you’re hoping a greater fool than yourself will buy from you
    at a higher price than you paid.

alam, LeonDeBayonne, Kmart and 15 others like this.
  9. Theognosis Dec 30, 2017

There are many Speedmaster collectors. Unfortunately, thousands of speculators (who deal mostly with Rolexes) are aware of this fact so they gobble up all the LE's hoping that they can buy the LE's before the collectors can and then sell the watches for profit. The lower the number of Speedmaster LE's that Omega produces, the more excited they get.

It seems that these speculators aren't very optimistic about the prospects of the SM300LE and the RMLE and that is good for the Omega enthusiasts. After 2-3 years, you might find more of these watches on ebay. I have an RMLE and it's a keeper. I have no plans of selling this beauty in my lifetime.

10. grailmaster Dec 30, 2017

I could not agree more

11. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 30, 2017

20 / 3557 * 100 = 0.56% of Speedy 60ths on Watchrecon for sale. Let’s be prudent and round up to 1%...so 35 for sale...I would not in anyway consider this as ‘everyone selling theirs’.

However, if I didn’t already have one, this would make me very happy and I would gladly trade in a testicle for one of these and snap one up ASAP. These are smoking hot...

12. tyrantlizardrex Dec 30, 2017

Combining:

The way that Omega markets and sells LE's - you have to order one with nothing more to go by than a digital rendering.

with

The knowledge that you can profit if you don't want it - typically people are making £500-£1500 for holding on to a watch for a few days.

What else is to be expected?

For what it's worth, this is a model that Omega have perpetuated... and could stop if they wanted... but keeping the PR machine running is what it's all about.

Kmart, shek_n_bake, watch3s and 3 others like this.
  13. dan7800 Dec 30, 2017

How many people are selling because they want to make a buck, vs maybe buyers remorse?

I think the 60 Speedmaster is a GREAT looking watch. However, for the same price I'd take an older speedy pro any day.

14. tyrantlizardrex Dec 30, 2017

Who knows?

Personally, I don't have a huge problem with people buying and changing their mind somewhere between the order and having paid for the watch.

The thing I have issue with is people buying multiples (often using family members names), specifically to sell on.

15. BLAUGRANA Dec 30, 2017

I'm holding on to mine. I'd also add that I've seen many more Speedy Tuesdays for sale.

watch3s likes this.
  16. cfracing Dec 30, 2017

More speculators since there was no deposit required?

17. Ninja2789 Dec 30, 2017

That's just 1% at this current moment. 60th Speedy's have been on the resale market ever since allocations started being fulfilled. more accurate would be to think about how many are still left to be fullfilled vs. total overall that's been sold.

Regardless, I've found it pretty interesting that prices have moved from +$9K to now almost retail $7.5k in just a few short months. It's possible this could be cyclical, but I feel the more likely answer is that you were required to pay upfront and now the speculators are wanting to dump and recover their money before prices move below retail.

All just conjecture of course.

18. ClarendonVintage Dec 30, 2017

More and more like a bubble..

19. bokbok Dec 30, 2017

I cancelled my 60th Speedy before it come decided not to bother with it, I feel Rrp of Omega's these days are crazy and bought another Rolex instead lol

Wing Zero and Perseus like this.
  20. djmusicman Dec 30, 2017

Those easy flippers could regret it later on. This model could be seriously sought after in a few years time. Look at the value of the original and how close this one gets you to that :thumbsup:

Kmart, shek_n_bake, rohnin and 2 others like this.