Forums Latest Members

Why I love my Smiths Military PRS-29A

1. marcn Enough space to say witty Apr 9, 2017

[I bet many of you are very familiar with this watch, but I just have to share my enthusiasm for it. I hope this helps anyone looking for a fun and fairly affordable daily-wear watch.]

This is the watch that the 14-year old me would’ve loved. I almost feel like I’m back in Scouts when I wear it. The dial is simple, highly legible, and all about telling the time. That simplicity, coupled with its smaller size, really speaks to me.

I’ve been mad for watches my whole life, but if I had to declare a focus for my obsession within all the brands and all the options, it would come down to simple 2- and 3-hand manual-wound watches. They exist to serve a singular purpose, and if designed well, almost can’t fail to deliver their function.

With the Timefactors Smiths Military PRS-29A, you have several appealing features: a domed plexi crystal, fixed bars at 18mm spacing, 36mm diameter case, the ETA 2801-2 elaboré hacking hand-winding movement, one grey NATO, and two clip-on leather straps in black and brown (with adhesive under peel-away paper — haven’t tried these yet, but they look and feel like good quality straps). Add to that a more than adequate two-watch zippered travel case, and the whole thing is, in my opinion, a good value at just under $450 USD. I had no issues, and no delays at customs, ordering and receiving the watch in the USA from the UK.

This watch has a sibling, the PRS-29B — larger at 39mm, with regular removable spring bars in a 20mm lug width, and a sapphire crystal. The same movement drives both watches. If I had to guess, the fixed (non-removable) bars of the smaller PRS-29A could be a sticking point, since you have no choice but to work with those, which means committing to NATOs, Zulus, or clip-straps.

Personally, I was fine accepting fixed bars, though it was a first for me. I knew I had to have that plexi crystal, and I very much wanted to get back into smaller watches. I was not a fan of NATO straps before, but I’m a convert now. So much so that I actually went on a buying spree on Timefactors’ site and picked up nearly a dozen more, in various colors and patterns. Turned out that I just had to give myself time to adjust to all that extra fiddling, and let the nylon break in a bit for a day or two, before the NATO really started to work its magic on me. With a bit of practice, I find it’s easy to fasten and very comfortable. They do add some bulk, and the watch will sit a bit higher off your wrist — great, I found out, for hot weather and sweaty wrists. Honestly, I could write a whole separate post just about NATOs in general; I’m that much of a convert!

Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy the photos.

Marc

http://www.timefactors.com/smiths.htm

IMG_0461.jpg
    IMG_0450.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg IMG_0456.jpg
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 9, 2017

Get a nice leather NATO. Or a 3 ring Zulu in leather, you'll love them.

Great watch!

marcn likes this.
  3. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Apr 9, 2017

Great write up Marc! It really is a great looking watch that seems to keep to its roots well. I'm sure it is even better in the metal!

I told myself I would either get a Sinn 556i (if it popped up at the right price) or one of these. Alas the 556i popped up much sooner than expected. However once again you are making it hard to resist. Maybe I'll cave this summer :cool:

marcn likes this.
  4. adi4 Apr 9, 2017

Congratulations and I for some reason never realized that one was fixed bars and plexi, I'm sorely tempted now! I've been meaning to try one of the Smiths models at some point, but haven't gotten around to deciding exactly which one all this time.

Something else you can do with the leather NATO is remove the stitching and cut away the back part, plus any extra length of strap. I don't like the bulky look of NATO straps, but wanted the convenience (and security) of it, so I fashioned my own out of a regular thin NATO leather strap. Wears super thin, would work with the fixed lugs, and no extra material to deal with!

[​IMG]

(Do at your own risk if the leather NATO is somewhat pricey. My wife works with leather occasionally, so I was comfortable she could fix anything I might have f***ed up :))

Professor, sxl2004, jaspert and 2 others like this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 9, 2017

I call those three ring Zulus. 1 piece of leather so it sits lower and the buckle is opposite the head. You have a nice 2 ring custom though! My Seiko SKX lives on one. IMG_3915.JPG

sxl2004, adi4 and marcn like this.
  6. marcn Enough space to say witty Apr 9, 2017

Thanks man, and I saw you got that Sinn! Congrats! So freaking tempted. I have a strong feeling that if I don't get this (attached), I'll regret it. Just wish the non-LE (black dial) came without the date, same as the LE does.

The Smiths (Ha! 80's anyone? ;)) has me so obsessed I've gone two-watch with it -- Smiths on the right wrist and the Speedy on the left -- since I got it about a month or so now. Why wear one when you've got two wrists?? :)

http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/S...-Edition-Anthracite-Dial-on-Strap-10p2802.htm

[​IMG]

sxl2004, Jwit, adi4 and 1 other person like this.
  7. marcn Enough space to say witty Apr 9, 2017

Ooh, hadn't thought of a leather Zulu... tempted! I've tried a leather NATO, but definitely found the fold-over a bit bulky, but like the trim suggestion from @adi4 ... I've been on something of a NATO bender lately!

adi4 and Foo2rama like this.
  8. R3D9 Apr 9, 2017

Great write-up! Do you have any wrist shots we can have a look at?

marcn likes this.
  9. R3D9 Apr 9, 2017

I'm really tempted now to pick up the 39mm version (36mm is smaller than I prefer for my 7.5" wrist), but the watch loses a bit of its magic without the domed crystal. The drilled lugs are a nice bonus, though.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 10, 2017

I've got 7.5 inch wrists and can pull of a 45.5 3313 POC, I'll admit my 3 42mm watches are my sweet spot. But I've picked up a great 36 and 35 recently and love the 36 on a full leather NATO. Mine fairly thin and if you want that sexy dome you can easily pull it off on full NATO straps. There is something oddly masculine about a 36mm on a great leather NATO. I was thinking the same as you but I'm looking at the 36...

R3D9 likes this.
  11. marcn Enough space to say witty Apr 10, 2017

Thanks! Here you go, on my 6.5" wrist.

IMG_0462.jpg
    IMG_0463.jpg

jaspert and R3D9 like this.
  12. marcn Enough space to say witty Apr 10, 2017

Forgot but wanted to add: Timefactors isn't always open for business, and you generally have to plan ahead to purchase, since Eddie Platts, proprietor, opens his online store generally on Tuesday mornings, and I've seen many times where he closes it again by end of day Tuesday, the same day.

Honestly, I kind of like that! It can be frustrating for sure, but also kind of gives you a built-in cool-down. It's not how I would personally run an online business, but huge props to Eddie for figuring out what he wants to do and then doing it!

Right now I noticed he's closed until April 25th for year-end and inventory. Worth the wait, though! :)

FYI, when I ordered my watch, it arrived in California on Thursday of the same week I ordered it. Very pleased with that!

Jwit likes this.
  13. Myron Apr 16, 2017

There is a dandy specimen of the PRS-29A up for sale right now over on MWR. Just thought I'd mention it for anyone seriously interested but waiting for Eddie to open back up.

Myron

14. jaspert Apr 17, 2017

Nice review and looks sharp on your wrist.
    Another fan on thin leather NATO on my fixed bar military watches.

I had a Smith W10 until recently. Missing it.

IMG20170330155518.jpg

marcn and ffej4 like this.
  15. ffej4 Survey Man Apr 17, 2017

Marc,

Lovely writeup. You've got a knack for making your written word flow to create a very enjoyable read.

I must admit I am an absolute sucker for a matte white second hand over a black (especially matte black) dial. There is something almost magical about the combination.

I'll be looking into this exact watch as a prospective daily wearer. I'll let Ed from Timefactors know so you get your commission. ;)

Jeff

marcn likes this.
  16. marcn Enough space to say witty Apr 17, 2017

@ffej4 thanks for the kind words! I suspected before I got it that it would be a good fit for me, but I had no idea just how crazy I'd go for it once I had it. Hard to pinpoint why exactly, but I guess a combination of factors that really get to me with it. It's especially gratifying when you can get this much pleasure from something that, in the bigger picture of watch madness, is just about as cheap as it gets.

It's settling in nicely, too. I need to time it, but it's probably right around +6s/d, keeping it crown up at night. Literally a watch that I can't say enough good things about.

@jaspert Love that W10! :thumbsup: Hope whatever took its place was something just as nice!

ffej4 likes this.
  17. grokas Apr 6, 2018

18. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Apr 6, 2018

Great watches, I used to own both a 29a and a W10 and did these comparison pics ages ago. Sold both along with almost all my other watches to fund the ST. Will probably buy another one day. Here are some pics to enjoy ....

2015-09-20-21131_zpsdqhg17mz.jpg IMG_20150925_134306_zpsbwc5f112.jpg IMG_20150925_135237_zpso1n32lp4.jpg IMG_20150925_134607_zpszlfmm7p1.jpg IMG_20150925_134450_zpsfxda5dqc.jpg IMG_20150925_134432_zps9axqbbl2.jpg

19. ufo65 Apr 6, 2018

Congratulations on a beautiful watch.

Candle00 likes this.
  20. keepitsimple Apr 6, 2018

PRS-29A is a great watch, especially for the price.

Wearing mine now, although have changed to an open ended black leather strap as I'm not keen on NATO's and neither of the leather straps that came with it appeal to me (you get a NATO, a black leather and a brown leather included).

2801 elaboré movement running well at +0.6 and of course no date,which if like me you wear a load of watches in rotation, is a definite plus.

As military inspired watches go ,for me it's a close call between the 29A and Hamilton Khaki, but neither is expensive, so the obvious answer is.....

The Speedbird PRS-1 would just round off the trio, if only it were still available :(

Candle00 likes this.