Forums Latest Members

Why do you not prefer Rolex?

1. Optimizer13 Apr 1, 2016

I collect many brands (starting from the below $100 watches) so I would hope to think that I'm somewhat a merit-based collector. However, this past week made me curious about why there are so many rolex haters and I really am genuinely curious as to why. I grew up where nobody thinks of rolex as luxury / bling / wealth status. To show status, they wear limited edition Roger Dubuis, Royal Oak Offshore limited edition, Frank Muller etc. To me that's real bling. Rolex for me is actually an understatement. Its shiny, but I think all new watches are shiny. I know this might be hard to believe, but maybe I just haven't meet obnoxious ones? So my question is why do you hate it, if you do? Is it the watch itself or the people wearing the watch? Is it the price to quality ratio? I never met anyone who hates Enicar for example :) I generally feel the distaste against rolex from some people but I want to know the underlying reasons...no offense taken!

Edited Apr 1, 2016
  2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 1, 2016

I don't hate Rolex (I own two) and I don't hate any watch brand. I don't care what watches people wear, nor the reason they wear them. A couple of weeks ago an old friend and I met up for lunch and he was wearing a new watch, something from Sweden. He looked at the Rolex I was wearing and said "I never got the Rolex thing." I just shrugged my shoulders and said 'whatever'.

3. abrod520 Apr 1, 2016

Well, I don't really hate Rolex so much as I am disappointed in their current offerings in juxtaposition with their historically valued models. But I will likely never purchase a vintage Rolex and here's why: Fakes. Rolex is such a popular brand that the fakes are so numerous, and so well-done in some cases, that for me to get to a point where I think I'm knowledgeable enough to feel comfortable making an offer on one would be just too much effort. Of course, it's easy for me to make this calculation as no Rolex model truly speaks to me the way others do (with the exception of the 1016, which is too small for my yeti wrists).

4. Mr Bing Apr 1, 2016

Personally I don't hate Rolex but I do have a dislike for them. When I see a person wearing Rolex I can't help but wonder if it's real. I also believe that some Rolex wearers are ignorant of other (often superior) brands that are out there.

It's just my opinion and my opinion is often wrong.

OMGRLX, travisrock, demollo and 4 others like this.
  5. gop76 Apr 1, 2016

i used to hate rolex until i owned one...
    if we're talking about the stereotyped rolex owner that's a different story...

6. redpcar Apr 1, 2016

I agree with Mr. Bing in one way that Rolex is the "go to" for posers (at least in my area of the world). People who want to look rich and know jack squat about watches drive me nuts. I know several people who own Rolex only to impress others. Just like their cars. Buy a new Porsche to impress the neighbors. When they valet their cars at the restaurant, it goes in front so everyone can see. If you know Rolex / Porsche and appreciate their significance in history, kudos. I don't hate the brands (in fact I love them) just some of the people they attract.

I have a friend (well off and self made but arrogant) who bought a new Porsche. I dropped by to see it and gave him some history of the model. His jaw dropped. He thought it was Japanese. Luckily, he traded it after a couple of years for a Benz.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 1, 2016

I think Rolex makes the best watch case in the business. However, some of the company's customer relations and marketing kind of rub me the wrong way. Also, they have chosen not to support collectors of vintage Rolex watches by having cut-offs dates for factory service, without at least affording most independent watchmakers the ability to obtain genuine Rolex parts when needed.

I'd be lying if I said that I liked the attitude of some (particularly modern) Rolex owners. That's not the fault of the watch or the company that made it.
    gatorcpa

8. sgtpry Apr 1, 2016

Just as for any other brand, I like the vintage ones instead of the new ones. Like with Heuer, Breitling and Rolex.

So, I don't hate any brands...just prefer older styles on those brands.

I love vintage "dim" watches that is low profile and go unnoticed.
    Most people who saw these watches (from normal human interaction distance) will think it's just my grand father's -old-beaten up-out of date-watches that no one wants.

[Added: most people = muggle, the non-watch folks, the one who praise Apple Watch and Android Watch]

One of my vintage love is actually a Rolex Submariner 16800 from 1983.

I like this Vintage Rolex Submariner because it's hardly look like a Rolex, it just look like old beaten up watch.

How do you think?

[​IMG]

Edited Apr 2, 2016
    ELV web, Longbow, watchknut and 11 others like this.
  9. Jminchoi Apr 1, 2016

My old boss wore a fake submariner and I hated him. ;) I don't hate Rolex, but they are a bit ubiquitous in society. There are only a handful of models that I'd probably go for and as pointed out there are a lot of fakes in the market. In their current lineup I like the Milgauss and Daytona and for vintage pieces I love the 1016, the 5513, and the 40mm polar Explorer 2. Where did you grow up where no one thinks of Rolex as status? Switzerland or the Middle East?

Optimizer13 likes this.
  10. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 1, 2016

I have never owed a Rolex. I really wanted one in the late-80s - early 90s, but at that point they were already a bit of a 'symbol' as the two-tone and gold models started to proliferate. Many who seemed to buy them did so because they were a sign of wealth, versus a good watch. Our long-time family jeweler even talked me out of getting a 60s vintage because they were 'poor time keepers' and
    'a poor value for the money'. The newer ones seemed to be on the wrists of stockbrokers or guys who kept several buttons at the top of their shirt unbuttoned. Gold wasn't enough, diamonds were needed on the dial or bezel, too. The guys were often accompanied by women carrying Louis Vuitton handbags. And of course stands selling fakes started to appear on every corner downtown, resulting in what seemed like half the city population wearing fake Rolexes.

I will admit that from the early '90s until I recently joined OF I did not give Rolexes much thought one way or another. But on this forum I am now starting to get an appreciation that they may in fact be well-made watches and keep pretty good time. But there is still an issue of the stigma associated with having/ owning one. I think at least in the area where I live it labels you as a fake, poseur or -- if it is real -- a 'show-off'.

I frankly have nothing against their watches, and am even somewhat interested in them now. But I do cringe at the thought that wearing one may send the wrong message to some people. When you provide professional services some people tend to think you are a rip-off because your hourly rates are so high. A 'symbol' such as a Rolex, arriving to a meeting in a Mercedes, etc. only reinforces their preconceived notions. Forget that in the real world a Rolex can be substantially less expensive then a PP, etc.; to many a Rolex is the most expensive watch out there, and they'll be damned if they will pay you your asking fee if it allows you to go buy things they cannot afford themselves.

The nice thing about my Sinns and Omegas is that not many are familiar with them, so they are not taken as anything more than a Citizen or a Seiko. And as much as I like my Tin-Tin, I think to some it is a cartoonish watch like a Mickey Mouse watch picked up from Disney World.

True story -- I sat next to the head of a design-construction office for a university earlier today, and he was wearing a Mickey Mouse watch :) I'm sure there is a story behind it, but I did not have a chance to ask.

Optimizer13 likes this.
  11. ulackfocus Apr 1, 2016

Starting a thread about hating Rolex in the Rolex Forum? :eek:

troll-spray.gif

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, I'll relate why I no longer own any Rolexes. Let me preface this by saying I think they are one of the best inhouse values in Swiss watches along with JLC. However, NOBODY ever asked me if any of my Audemars Piguets, my Vacheron Constantin, or any other brand of watch I owned was fake. Rolex though? It's like a God dammed genetic response to say "Is that real?". Even one of my old bosses who knew I was a watch collector and knew what my income was so it was easy to figure I could afford a simple DateJust still asked that question, as if he couldn't help himself from saying it. ::facepalm2:: :rolleyes:

12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 1, 2016

I have a GMT Master II ... Bought it new. Rolex makes a dammed great tool watch. The wheels come off for me on anything not SS. They are bullet proof accurate and reliable. I bought it because that's what I wanted. You can wear it anywhere. I don't give a damn about what anyone thinks. Great value for money. Have two JLC's as well (master calendar and grand reverso duo) Heritage, superb engineering, respect .. Value for money. That's what these brands are about. I do lust after VC / Lange .... Also worthy.

13. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Apr 1, 2016

I collect many brands, and have quite a few Rolex. My Rolex are limited to ss tool watches that most people wouldn't recognize as a Rolex unless they were into watches...I'll say this about Rolex, their cases and sealing of the watch is better than all others combined and I find that the lume they used ages better - maybe due to the sealing. There are far more Rolex tool watches without damaged dials and crappy lume than other brands...and Im talking about watches that spent their life in the water.

I don't know why so many people hate Rolex, but I suspect its because of the persona associated with the owner. Most people associate that obnoxious jackass with more money than sense as the typical Rolex owner. But there is much more to the history and brand to be enjoyed.

Edited Apr 1, 2016
  14. abrod520 Apr 1, 2016

This I can relate to. Many people buy a Porsche for the image and act like a--holes about it, and give them a bad reputation. Meanwhile the nerds like me who have posters of photos taken on June 14th, 1970 on their walls have to deal with that when we say we love Porsche for who they really are!

15. tyrantlizardrex Apr 1, 2016

I don't hate Rolex, I've just yet to see one that appeals and I'd be able to afford... ;)

16. Canuck Apr 1, 2016

I'm experiencing a bit of difficulty accepting some of the changes being introduced on some of the modern styles. Sort of seems like a "change for the sake of change" sort of thing. My newest Rolex is 27 years old, so call me a stick in the mud. Hate Rolex? No!

17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 1, 2016

eeeerrrr....looks like a Rolex to me. a nice one too.

Optimizer13 and sgtpry like this.
  18. sgtpry Apr 1, 2016

Thank you, if you look at it from 1 meter away, it won't look like a Rolex :D

19. ac106 Apr 1, 2016

I was sorta thinking about this the other day. I really dig the GMT master/ Pepsi. I think its such a great looking watch, ticks all the boxes for me...

Then you go on the Rolex forums... not here necessarily, but the "other big one" and its totally obnoxious. Threads like: "Rolex and your socks" "Rolex and your college degree"... and then there are posts where posters pretend they don't want people to notice they are wearing a Rolex but it's completely obvious that they crave the attention. (Doubly applies to idiots who don't even own one yet but are concerned they will be noticed so they post inane questions and scenarios.). Then there are threads about how Rolex is better then Patek or Audemars when clearly they don't own both brands and it's blatant fanboy-ism . Then there are the guys that practically rub the Buddha thinking about their Sub.

I mean, that stuff DOES NOT happen on this forum at all.

It's distasteful and makes me reconsider the brand.

Edited Apr 1, 2016
    al128, Optimizer13, abrod520 and 2 others like this.
  20. omega man Rolex Conspiracy Theorist Apr 1, 2016

Just remember that an unknown number of responses: generally Rolex, are generated by Sales Personel not working for Rolex USA, but dealers, many are internet. I take all those with a grain of salt.

OMGRLX likes this.