Forums Latest Members
  1. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 11, 2013

Picked up an early sixties 30ls in a gold case, non running but at the price I reckoned to use it for practice.
    First hurdle, feet screws had seized but freed them and still the dial would not come away.
    Some bright spark ( f****** idiot) had glued it on . Off now and some work tomorrow and hopefully :)
    Takes me back to the title, why do this to a nice old watch :mad:

2. ulackfocus Jan 11, 2013

When you don't know how to really fix something, super glue, duct tape, and a hammer are the tools you use. I think you'd be surprised at how many even nicer watches had some part superglued on. Say, like an 18ct 145.006 caliber 321 Seamaster with an 18ct dial. ::censored::

3. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 11, 2013

My line of work is certainly far from high tech, it may be old age but I get really p****d off when I see things like this ::blowup::

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 11, 2013

If you work on watches long enough, you will see some things that certainly just make you shake your head - glue is only one of them - a recent example:

[​IMG]

Fortunately I was discarding the dial on this one, so it was no biggie. BTW the dial feet were intact, but the dial feet screws were missing, so rather than simply get the screws, they glued the dial on. Oy!

Cheers, Al

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 11, 2013

Nice lol

Somewhere we've got pictures of a Cal 321 Speedmaster someone was selling where someone had tried to fix a snapped chronograph reset lever with a few beads of solder rather than replacing the part. Was a pretty nasty looking one at that.

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 11, 2013

4c.jpg

7. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 12, 2013

Lovely work Al. Sure you will understand If I don't post images of my resurrection piece :(

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2013

Ah yes, that. Nice detective work. I respect that watchmaker's attempt at salvaging parts but in this case... just replace it...

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 12, 2013

I agree - if you can source the part. Omega bascially refuses to sell any Cal. 321 parts unless it's carried over into a later caliber (some 321 parts are used in the 861/1861). Other than that, you are left to the open market to find the parts, and it's hit and miss. Even if you do find it, everyone who is selling these parts knows that they are rare, so it usually ends up being expensive. I could see the brake (blocking lever) going for $150+ easily. Some clients just don't want to spend the money.

Certainly not condoning it, and I would hand the watch back if someone doesn't want to fix it peroperly, but I can understand how something like this would get done.

I have had people give me second looks about spending $15 total on a watch they brought me...quartz, but still...

Cheers, Al