Forums Latest Members

Why do some sellers insist on censoring the serial numbers on vintage watches?

1. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 28, 2015

2. gornati Aug 28, 2015

Asked the same question on the RLX forums, they said someone could file a claim on a stolen watch for that serial number, then when it goes to SERVICE, basically if you don't papers, you could lose the watch...

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 28, 2015

I'm going with paranoia.:cautious:

Spy and ulackfocus like this.
  4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 28, 2015

Or someone can place that serial on a fake...

bazamu, happytapy and sengvin like this.
  5. ulackfocus Aug 28, 2015

I'll second that motion. Anything of value can be counterfeited or stolen, and the thing about paranoia is you only have to be right once.

Spy likes this.
  6. happytapy Aug 28, 2015

I think that's the main reason. Sellers usually share once a sale has been made and could be part of disclosure for purchase, for assurity reasons.

Frunkinator likes this.
  7. marturx Aug 29, 2015

I block out serial numbers partly on watches I sell for two reasons:

1. In discretion towards my buyer
    2. To prevent scammers to steal my pictures, and using them in a fraudulent sale

I'm not paranoid, just careful and cautious

8. repoman Aug 29, 2015

I see no reason why anyone should see the serial numbers of my watches.

Watchmutt and Nobel Prize like this.
  9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 29, 2015

Exactly.

I do reveal the serial once a buyer has adelantado direct contact and I have email or phone #

I'm.not paranoid, after all I'm selling the watch so whatever consequences are going to affect the buyer more than me, but I do know scammers love to steal pictures and serials so I don't see why I should make it easy for them.

10. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 29, 2015

Leaves something to the imagination, sorta like panties? :rolleyes:

nonuffinkbloke, Fritz, Jwit and 5 others like this.
  11. michaelmc Aug 29, 2015

I've seen real serial numbers from same type watch put on stolen or aftermarket cases. Many watches are re engraved. I see these several times a year at small watch shows etc. It's a way to move a stolen or damaged watch. The Military Forums are full of these with false engravings as well. More ways to profit unscrupulously.

12. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Aug 29, 2015

It is just a matter of privacy. Some buyers don't want the serial plastered all over the internet whether for paranoia or just personal wishes. I only try and cover the secod half so any buyer can see that the serial matches for the most part. Any legitimate seller will only deal in goods that are authentic and in their best knowledge from a good source.

Jwit, Watchmutt, Nobel Prize and 3 others like this.
  13. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 29, 2015

1. As a matter of discretion or "just because I don't like people knowing my serial numbers", I have little respect. Vintage watches basically all have physical imperfections that are as useful an identifier as any serial number. And if you don't want people to know "just because", I have even less respect.

2. As a matter of opening yourself up to fraudsters claiming you've stolen their vintage Ebel chronograph - I see the chances as less than the lottery.

3. As a matter of protecting the integrity of online sale photographs - there are hundreds of thousands of other photos out there that can be used for that purpose. Your efforts are without any real power.

4. As a matter of preserving the sanctity of a serial number - fraudsters don't need to see a physical serial number to know that a watch line should fall between, say 30,000 and 35,000. They can just pick a number. And if they really need a real confirmed number, look at the answer to number 3.

People can do whatever they feel it right - but I still can't see any tangible, realistic justification.

kgb, micampe, Spy and 1 other person like this.
  14. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Aug 29, 2015

why does it bother you?

15. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 29, 2015

It's hard to say. It's just silly to me.

It's not like I care too much, but it does seem to me to be an unnecessary pseudo-requirement of a luxury good. It's a kind of seller pretentiousness, when ones gives a watch or any item a presumed need for such security.

If one feel his or her vintage watch deserves that care, then I could very well be wrong. But it's how I feel, from my experience.

Spy and blufinz52 like this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 29, 2015

Never covered them up and can't say I would ever be worried about it myself.

Spy likes this.
  17. marturx Aug 30, 2015

I'm speechless. You are not by any chance a lawyer defending criminals in court, are you?

18. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 30, 2015

Wha? :confused:

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 30, 2015

I've never really seen the point of hiding them myself. I think most people do it because they see others do it, so it becomes an expected thing...

20. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Aug 30, 2015

Bingo! At least that's why I did it! I'm new to selling so I imitate the pros. Baaaa Baaaa.

Jwit and bazamu like this.