Forums Latest Members

Why do bridges get hand engraved?

1. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Oct 12, 2017

I have seen this done before. Mostly in an effort to deceive, but in this case I am scratching my head. Is there a legal requirement in certain countries that the number of jewels must be marked? Did the importer do this or was it done during service? This is from an eBay listing. E4B08946-3090-47E6-99D3-40439143DC29.jpeg

2. Canuck Oct 12, 2017

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 12, 2017

Back when the 1010 series movements were relatively new and in production, Omega offered the entire automatic winding unit as a sub-assembly that could be replaced as a unit, rather than taken apart and serviced. Since the movements had either 17 or 23 jewels depending on the specific model, Omega produced some of these replacement units without markings so that watchmakers were not forced to stock 2 different units, when one would suffice.

These are not factory defects as has been suggested - I've had enough of them in the shop without markings for it to be that...this one from a Cal. 1012:

[​IMG]

As to why someone would hand engrave this on a bridge that didn't have it...who the hell knows why someone would do that...maybe because they wanted to? If you are looking for a rational reason for this, I'm not sure you will find one...

Cheers, Al

citizenrich and TNTwatch like this.
  4. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Oct 12, 2017

Someone bored and with enough whiskey might have thought he could do it by hand as well as a machine could. Machine 1 Drunken Watchmaker 0

Waltesefalcon and mr_yossarian like this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 12, 2017

I seriously doubt it was a watchmaker...at least not someone I would consider a watchmaker...