Forums Latest Members

Why did this tricompax go for so low

1. josephgsy Jan 23, 2018

Zeeshan and ELV web like this.
  2. Florent Jan 23, 2018

Because nobody posted it on the eBay thread BEFORE the end of the auction ? :whistling:

josephgsy likes this.
  3. Davidt Jan 23, 2018

I don't know much at all about these watches but from a generic standpoint:

It's from Thailand which IMO requires more due diligence of the seller.
    The case has seen some polish.
    The dial has unattractive ageing and stains, as do the day/date disks.
    The bezel is average.

watch3s, Chrobar, bazamu and 2 others like this.
  4. josephgsy Jan 23, 2018

Pity. I wonder if it anyone here ended up with it. I wasn’t really following it closely since I thought it would have soared way past my wallet could afford. Only went back to check when I was wondering what prices it could have hit

5. keywerd Jan 23, 2018

I was watching it, but mainly the poor dial condition was a big detractor for me. I also couldn't tell if those pushers were original or if they just need adjusted - they look maybe slightly big. The hand on the right sub dial appears fatter than the rest and I'm not sure it's original either.

Mark020 and josephgsy like this.
  6. josephgsy Jan 23, 2018

what's the going for a piece like that now in good condition? 30s?

7. keywerd Jan 23, 2018

I don't think they have gotten quite that high yet. My uneducated opinion is that they are somewhere in the low to mid 20s and still below the Nina's and those compax variants.

bazamu likes this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 23, 2018

Crown is wrong. Having had a minty example in hand I’d not be into this at all.

watch3s, propervinyl and ConElPueblo like this.
  9. ConElPueblo Jan 23, 2018

This one will appear on an Instagram account with some creative lighting and possibly a filter or two. The aging on the dial really takes away a lot of the appeal to me... Is the staining of the day disc common?

watch3s and ARP488 like this.
  10. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Jan 31, 2018

Is that bezel the same as an Omega DON bezel?

Zeeshan likes this.
  11. Florent Jan 31, 2018

Omega DON is larger

BartH likes this.
  12. josephgsy Jan 31, 2018

If only....

BartH likes this.
  13. Mapearso Feb 1, 2018

I always wondered if the smaller size Omega Speedmaster Reduced (ref 3510.50.00) has a bezel that would work? They are cheap and plentiful.. but no DON and the TACHYMETRE font is all wrong ...

josephgsy likes this.
  14. ClarendonVintage Feb 1, 2018

The bezel is beat up...

15. Drawarms Feb 1, 2018

price is about right, these in average condition go for 13-16k

16. josephgsy Feb 2, 2018

Now that’s getting creative! :whistling:

17. ARP488 Feb 2, 2018

I thought that was a fair price for the conditions on that example. To call that "low" I don't think is the right term, solidly bought in my opinion. BUT it will most likely wind up on instagram from a dealer at prob 18K or so, slowly helping push up their own market bubble. If a collector bought that (given the user name I think I know who did and they aren't a collector ;) ) they did a good job, sadly I believe this was dealer bought and we will see it again shortly.

18. josephgsy Feb 2, 2018

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Still a newbie when it comes to UGs. Much to learn still!

19. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 2, 2018

What's the current spread between the panda and inverse panda (evil) variants? Asking for a friend...

20. ARP488 Feb 2, 2018

Of course! I was more commenting on the craziness of the market, and the prices that dealers are charging, and GETTING for watches we all see visibly. The problem lies more in when the price lesser quality watches for the prices of Mint ones, it keeps closing the gap and forcing people to pay astronomical prices (most of the time way more than it's worth). If I had a dime for every time I see a piece that someone is trying to sell, that they bought from a dealer, their expectations are so high, they almost always end up not being able to sell it or take a loss. ANYWAY, I digress, this was a nice honest piece that a collector or buyer could wear and enjoy and not feel bad about putting some use on it. If it were mint, I'd have expected closer to 20K. So, well bought, for those conditions, if patina is of no bother! The UG market is nuts right now, buckle in and enjoy the ride, it's going to be bumpy!