Forums Latest Members

Why did Steve McQueen wear such fancy stuff?

1. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 19, 2015

Hey guys,

So I've noticed that a lot of luxury items re branded as "Steve McQueen" items, and subsequently they are about 200% more than other, similar products. For instance, the Persol Steve McQueen glasses are about two times as expensive as regular Persols. Also... As we all know, the Steve McQueen Explorer is an extremely expensive timepiece.

Was he a connoisseur of the fine things in life, or what?

2. redpcar Feb 19, 2015

He had good taste and an eye for quality. Iconic symbol of "cool". Everybody wants to be cool. Plus, he was a lefty like you ;)
    Same can be said for Paul Newman.

3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 19, 2015

He was iconic and had great style. Should that bring a premium to products he wore? On one hand no, specially since he didn't wear an Explorer for example he wore a 5512. On the other hand if Bond brings a premium being a purely fictional character with a branding product placement machine behind him then why not celebrate the style of some true iconic figures?

Spacefruit and ffej4 like this.
  4. ulackfocus Feb 19, 2015

Because he could. ;)

That's the best reason for a man to buy any luxury item!

Stewart H and ffej4 like this.
  5. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 19, 2015

Yeah, let's hear it for lefties... gives me an Idea for a future thread... but I'm sure it's already been done!

Hotwheelbill and tpatta like this.
  6. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 19, 2015

I'm enjoying these responses! Let my researching on Steve McQueen begin!

7. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 19, 2015

By the way, I believe he was right handed, at least he wrote and signed with his right hand, he just wore his watch on his right hand, something I do at times and for some reason my wife always does and we're both right handed. Just looked up some images...definitely a righty...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Edited Feb 19, 2015
    harrymai86 and ffej4 like this.
  8. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 19, 2015

When I was in middle school, I destroyed the metal bracelet on a Fossil watch because I was wearing it on my left wrist. When I'd write, my wrist would constantly rub against the paper, which removed the black finish on the bracelet. Ever since then, I've worn watches on my right hand!

Plus, it's nice not having crowns/pushers dig into my hand when I bend it upwards!

I believe this was actually the Fossil I was wearing! [​IMG]

9. ulackfocus Feb 19, 2015

Hold on there, I'm primarily right handed (the hand I'm most comfortable writing with and I throw with) but I shoot rifles / shotguns and pool leftie.

Just saying that the pictures can't be definitive proof of which hand he favors.

ffej4 likes this.
  10. Hijak Feb 19, 2015

He's totally left handed!:whistling: Nevermind that he is shooting with his right hand (and holding his coffee)...its Hollywood anyway, right?

11. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 19, 2015

I golf right-handed. I suck at it, though. Maybe it's because I golf right-handed!

TheCaptainOfTech likes this.
  12. proximal Feb 19, 2015

A little bit of that, and a little bit of things were cool because he wore them.

ffej4 likes this.
  13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 20, 2015

Being bad at golf is nothing to be ashamed of, it just means you're not old yet :)

14. TheCaptainOfTech Feb 20, 2015

Its always the clubs thats the issue ;)

ffej4 likes this.
  15. ffej4 Survey Man Feb 20, 2015

The funny thing is, I work on a very nice club golf course in the summers and I never golf! I really need to utilize free Mondays. [emoji12]

16. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Feb 20, 2015

I think Steve McQueen had a tough upbringing which a made him a real life bad boy and not some poser.

A lot of older guys man crush on him. Hard. Same thing with Sean Connery: he was banging grown women when was like 13 lol.

Before my time but that's the way I see it.

What actor today would compare? Perhaps Brad Pitt for like a 2 or 3 year period after Fight Club was released. One of my personal trainer friends told me that after Fight Club was released, guys would show up at the gym with a movie poster and say "I want to look like that". That ish cracks me the f up...

ffej4 likes this.
  17. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 20, 2015

I think that a reasonable argument could be made for McQueen having been the absolute epitome of cool in the cinema genre. Aside from his obvious attributes, he appeared to be so unaffected, which made the positive impression much deeper.

And yes, he most certainly was a connoisseur of the fine things in life.

[​IMG]

ffej4 likes this.
  18. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 20, 2015

Well, not that matters that much but, let me get this lefry thing right : so, he fought on a right handed stance, wrote and signed with his right hand, shot with right hand, articles and literature list him as right handed but he was left handed because he wore his watch on his right hand. Then we argue that all right handed shots are a Hollywood choice but somehow Hollywood did not choose to simply switch his watch around which is incidentally the only reason why there's an argument pro lefty. Anyway. He was a cool guy for sure...let's call him ambi dextrus

ffej4 and ICONO like this.
  19. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 20, 2015

My view is that most of the "fancy stuff" he wore was hardly so at the time. [emoji16]

ffej4 likes this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 20, 2015

I'm guessing you are left eye dominant...for shooting sports the dominant eye is more important than what hand you write with...