Forums Latest Members
  1. Myron Feb 28, 2014

Although I check in daily, I'm still pretty new around here and finally have something worth sharing. After hesitating for years, I finally jumped off the fence and landed a Watchco SM 300. Actually, I was pushed off the fence by a friend who found it, bought it, then shipped it to me with a note that said, "Don't get too excited, you still owe me $xxxx." I'm so glad he did! Let me also just say how glad I am about this forum's rational policies toward the discussion of Watchco Seamasters. It is irrational heresy elsewhere.

After the paralysis of new vs vintage, fake vs real, put-togethers vs what's real vs what's not real, etc. I am here to say that the Watchco is the perfect answer to this dilemma for me. It glows like a son of a gun at night, all night, the size and weight are perfect for me, and the fit and finish are quite nice at this price range. Mine was fitted with a sweet see-thru sapphire caseback from Archer Watch by its previous owner, which I at first thought was just wrong, but now I love it too. I put it on a rustic-looking strap I made for it out of Natural color(less) Horween shell (a piece I wouldn't use for a customer's strap -- please don't judge ;-) and it feels like it's been mine since 1965. Except, let's see, I can read it, nothing's rusted or flaking, the bezel insert isn't cracked, the crystal isn't trashed, I don't care if it wasn't born this way, it keeps great time, the question of originality is moot, etc.... I really like my vintage watches, but this might be the best of all worlds.

So, if you're reading this and my story sounds familiar, I am here to encourage you to buy one for yourself. You will not regret it.

Kind regards to all,

Myron

PS, please forgive the bezel position. The watch was in use as a tea steep timer when I took it off for pictures.
    IMG_3886.JPG IMG_3884.JPG IMG_3888.JPG

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 28, 2014

Very nice :thumbsup:

While the debate rages on, and some pedants castigate anybody even thinking of owning one, I simply enjoy my non-date.

I know what it is and don't try to pretend to anyone that it's a genuine vintage worn by Diver Dan for a single day in 1965 before he put it in his sock drawer for forty years and it only came to light when he passed it on to his nephew before he died.

Prawns.jpg

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 28, 2014

JimInOz talk about going the raw prawn!

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 28, 2014

C'mon mate, they're COOKED prawns, fresh Crystal Bays straight out of the pot!

I only use raw prawns for bait, or for when somebody's takin' the p!ss :D

5. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 28, 2014

Love my watchco!! Although I often question the rationale of owning both a watchco and a 165.024

[​IMG]

Travelller, fskywalker, alam and 2 others like this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 28, 2014

A WIS using words like "question" and "rationale" when talking of owning watches????

Does not compute :D

7. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 28, 2014

oxymoron:)

Joe K. likes this.
  8. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 28, 2014

Sorry.... not thinking good.... too much knob creek...

9. bupdyke Feb 28, 2014

Those are absolutely beautiful! I love the hybrid tea roses in my rose garden.These Watchco 300’s seem to be like beautiful hybrid watches which are highly valued and admired. They have all the parts of the vintage ones, but are a new and perfect Omega. Sort of like having the best of both worlds.

They are tasty! ::bleh::

10. Baco Noir Mar 1, 2014

Congrats. Love my NOS ND SM300.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 1, 2014

Based on how many of them I make and service, these are very popular. I see far more of these in my shop than I do the vintage originals...

Glad you like it Myron, and please if you are ever coming by again, drop in for a chat. Been too long!

Cheers, Al

KstateSkier likes this.
  12. Myron Mar 1, 2014

Will do, Al! Believe it or not my visit was four years ago. Incredible how time flies.

For all you other Watchco SM 300 fans out there, you really must experience Al's service to believe it. His shop is completely modern, immaculately clean and organized, and the equipment is right up to date. I felt very lucky to get a watch that had been recently serviced by Al, and mine is running like the proverbial top.

Kind regards to all,

Myron

fskywalker likes this.
  13. Hijak Mar 1, 2014

Congrats on your new 300.:thumbsup: Love mine too! Here on a shark skin strap...

Seamaster 300 with Shark Skin Strap.JPG

fskywalker and Ray916MN like this.
  14. agee Mar 1, 2014

Love the strap, Myron!
    Like the watch a little also

Myron likes this.
  15. Watchguy31-us Mar 2, 2014

I also love Myron's strap. Perhaps he could share where he got it :). I kid, of course. I'm wearing one of his straps on my SMP 300 right now!

Myron likes this.
  16. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 3, 2014

Respectable Member Myron

It is understandable as to why people go after the Watchco SM 300 and SM 120 of the 60's and early 70's respectively, though they were assembled much later.

As for the Watchco examples, all the parts are still Swiss made but the watch was not assembled by Omega Switzerland. Apart from this, the dial shows only 'SWISS MADE', instead of '-T SWISS MADE T-' and the inside of the back-cover says '165 0324' instead of '165 024'. Lastly it is luminova against tritium.

A friend has been looking high and low, for either a SM 300 or SM 120, in top factory-original condition, the past two years or so. Recently he saw one in the UK and when he made an enquiry, it was already sold for GBP 2 500.00.

Omega Seamaster 300

Vintage Omega Seamaster 300 Divers Watch circa 1960's, a very clean example of this rare watch
    Model-165024
    Caliber-552
    Diameter-41.5mm
    Serial 25587xxx - dates from 1967
    £2,500.00

Sooner or later, in case he cannot get a Swiss assembled piece in close to mint factory-original condition, probably he too may go after a Watchco example.

Thank you.

a.jpg b.jpg c.jpg d.jpg e.jpg f.jpg
  17. Watchguy31-us Mar 3, 2014

There is one for sale on the sales forum right now, for far less than 2500 GBP.

18. Watchguy31-us Mar 3, 2014

(An Original, not a watchco)

19. shane0mack Mar 3, 2014

Myron, good to see you on here. Nice piece!

Myron likes this.
  20. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 3, 2014

Respectable Member Watchguy31-us

I appreciate and shall bring the advertisement to the attention of my friend.

It looks like and honest and clean watch.

Thank you.