Forums Latest Members
  1. ChuckMK23 divorced caveman / modern sugar daddy Jun 16, 2016

Why does omega insist on having a Darkside of the moon and Grey side of the moon watch?

The appeal has nothing to do with the moon itself but rather cool man driven achievements to exploration. The moon is an ugly ugly objects

Why have a Watch to "celebrate" it?

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jun 16, 2016

I don't know what the Grey side is, but not many of us have ever seen the dark side of the moon. that's kinda mysterious and pretty cool.

for all the rest of us know, there could be unicorns over there!

unicorn-020.jpg.png

Tritium likes this.
  3. ktc Jun 16, 2016

My local AD claims that internationally the Moonwatch is a tiny part of Omega's business. It's because of our pride of NASA and value of our astronautical achievements that there has been so many commemorative version of the Moonwatch. I agree it is kind of stretching our history again and again to sell watches, but it's cool that the "X Side of the Moon" is more of an emotional interpretation of the past and does incorporate modern features.

ChuckMK23 likes this.
  4. VicLeChic Jun 17, 2016

I believe we landed on the moon, but I think the photos and videos we were fed are fake and staged. For some reason they didn't want to show us what they found there.

Still a great achievement and worth celebrating with a (thousand) watch(es).

ChuckMK23 likes this.
  5. karalhoin Jun 17, 2016

Because it sounds great from a marketing/poetic point of view. Plus it matches dark products quite well. Someone probably had that idea while trying to brainstorm something involving "a totally black watch" and "it's a speedmaster, write something about space". :D

That said, they are great watches and this is a field where the practical/functional/rational is not always the reason why we choose and wear certain models. In fact, we'd all be better off with cheap, resistant and precise quartz watches. We like them also because they leave some room for the imagination, some lore, if you like.

Now go watch this video 10 times until you stop questioning the wisdom of the marketing people... :D

VillageIdiot likes this.
  6. alam Jun 17, 2016

@meganfox17 's response covers all the OP's concerns very well! :thumbsup:

ChuckMK23 and meganfox17 like this.
  7. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jun 17, 2016

To make money off people...

... and then to make money off people again

Edited Jun 17, 2016
    VillageIdiot likes this.
  8. OmegaCard Anti-sticky exaggerator extraordinaire! Jun 21, 2016

Because it sounds better than black moonwatch. You can jam an awesome album with the same name. And it represents technological advancement in the industry.

ChuckMK23 likes this.
  9. ChuckMK23 divorced caveman / modern sugar daddy Jun 21, 2016

Thank you for the incredibly clever replies :)

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 21, 2016

The moon is a beautiful thing on a cloudless jet black night away from any city lights sitting out at sea fishing. With every movement affecting tides and ocean movements.
    Fish big rivers in Northern Australia with 8 meter tides and I am always amazed by its influence.