Forums Latest Members

Why are the newer Omega references so long and confusing?

1. ffej4 Survey Man May 28, 2015

Hi all,

This question might have already been asked, but why are the newer reference numbers so long and jumbled? 3570.50.00 is quite easy to remember... But now the equivalent is 311.30.43.30.01.005?!?

Just to put things into perspective: I had to look at that reference number about 4 times before I had it copied down correctly to the forum post.

Does anyone know the explanation? Archer? Anyone? I know I will miss the shorter references, and many other probably will as well.

Thanks!

oasis3270 likes this.
  2. SeanO May 28, 2015

you're supposed to be able to fully describe the watch without actually seeing it.

311 - speedy
    30 - Stainless steel
    43 hesalite
    30 sapphire display
    01 bracelet
    005 - whatever

that's not actually correct but an example of how the number describes the product.

ffej4 likes this.
  3. ffej4 Survey Man May 28, 2015

Huh. That actually makes sense. It would be cool if they had incorporated that into the serial numbers (in my opinion), even if it meant adding a couple extra numbers.

That is a neat system, though. But it still makes remembering model names quite difficult! I will need a study guide to get all the meanings down!

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 28, 2015

One of the numbers is the size (43) so if you look at the reference numbers of the various SMPc, you can see they are similar, but where the size is different, that 3rd number will change.

5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 28, 2015

They've realized it is a problem with the non-cognoscenti and I hear rumors that a fix is coming late this year, or perhaps at Basel 2016.

secret decoder ring.jpg

Edited May 28, 2015
    ffej4 and persco like this.
  6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 28, 2015

ffej4 likes this.
  7. sailingchamp May 28, 2015

First group is model (Speedmaster etc.)
    Second group is case metal and bracelet/strap
    Third group is diameter in mm
    Forth group is ?
    Fifth group is colour of dial (01 = black, 02 = silver, 03 = blue, 06 = grey]
    Sixth group is ?

I stand for correction.

The details of the reference nos. are explained in the Omega Book that ADs have.

Edited May 28, 2015
    ffej4 likes this.
  8. ffej4 Survey Man May 28, 2015

This has been a lot of help, guys. Thank you! It makes more sense now. It's a neat idea, but I would still prefer more simple reference numbers. I think they should have modified their serial numbers rather than the number we all use to identify their timepieces. But, it's not a big deal. It won't stop me from buying them :D

9. sailingchamp May 28, 2015

I for one would have preferred if Omega did differentiate between the iterations of movements (Si14 balance springs or not, > 15'000 Gauss). As it is the first cal. 8500 Seamaster AT has got the same ref. no. as the newest AT when the spec is identical. So if you read an offer with ref. no. and the seller thinks he has given all details you have to ask those in order to know what it's all about.

ffej4 likes this.