Forums Latest Members

Why are modern Longines automatics so hard to wind manually??

1. ctpete Jan 11, 2018

Last year I purchased a new-old-stock Longines Conquest Ref. L1.611.6.72.4. 18K solid gold in a 35mm case.

I immediately noticed that when winding the watch there was a great deal of resistance. So I sent it to SGUS for evaluation and they said a maintenance service was required because the oils had dried up. No problem..$265 later they sent the watch back to me. The winding was a little better, but still a lot of resistance. Nothing like I am used to with my Omegas.

Recently, I decided that the 35mm case was a bit too small for my wrist. So, I found a 40mm version of the 18K Conquest and I bought it. It is Ref. L1.645.6.75.4. It was also listed as New Old Stock and in fact it had the same problem....VERY hard to wind. So off to SGUS it went and the result was the same. Upon the watch's return, the winding was a little easier, but still VERY hard.

I should state that the watches in both instances were exactly as described, came from reputable sellers and appeared to be new in all respects with all appropriate paperwork.

Is this common with Longines Automatic watches??

2. TropicConnie Jan 29, 2018

Why did a service on a new watch cost $265? Where's the warranty in that?

It's a common occurrence with ETA automatic movements. The 2824 was not designed with regular hand winding in mind and consequently the keyless works are rather fragile. Just shake it around a bit and it'll start up, then wear it. There's no need to wind it by hand daily.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  3. ConElPueblo Jan 29, 2018

I have owned two ETA-equipped watches at the same time; one was a 1976 Longines with their version of an ETA 2824 and a Torgoen T81 with a Valanvron 24 which is an ETA 2824 clone.

One was near-unused and just serviced while the other was brand new - both were a pain to handwind. Both were very accurate and a pleasure to wear, but extremely stiff in winding.

4. ctpete Jan 29, 2018

While the watch was new, it was old stock and came to me through a gray market dealer.

5. ctpete Jan 29, 2018

Thanks for the responses. While I am glad to see I am not alone, its my only disappointment with the watch. I will keep it on a winder at 650 TPD and therefore minimize the need to wind it.

Have a great day all!!

wsfarrell likes this.