Forums Latest Members

Why are ladies watches less expensive than men's?

1. cvrle1 Aug 18, 2016

Stupid question perhaps, but why are ladies watches usually less expensive than men's. I have seen same female watch go for hundreds less than mens for same watch. Never figured out why that is. Is it because they are less popular, so they want to grab more female buyers? This is more towards Omega watches. I am not sure if same is seen with other high end brands as well.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  2. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 18, 2016

It's called the law of supply and demand. Numbers. Three thousand men buyers here -- how many women? Three?

And why is that? You probably see it in front of your very eyes. Women have many other ornament and fashion options and priorities. You name it.

Edited Aug 18, 2016
    gostang9 likes this.
  3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 18, 2016

Another consideration is the women's version is typically smaller then the men's version, so less material and therefore less cost.

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 18, 2016

Well for vintage that can't be true. Much more craft and work involved in fitting those mechanisms in such a small space.
    Smaller watches were considered more challenging from a technical viewpoint.

LouS likes this.
  5. dx009 Aug 18, 2016

Ladies watches are smaller so less material is used. Supply and demand is also c**ppy for ladies watches. Most women buy cheap or cheaper watches in comparison to men. Often if a ladies mechanical is bought it's a man buying it for their partner/mistress.

You're not going to see an almost all female forum dedicated to watches where they open daily threads such as "Should I trade my Lip Nautic Ski Electronic Super Compressor for an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional REF. 145022?" or "Is my Rolex 1675 Pepsi GMT too big?".

gostang9 and cvrle1 like this.
  6. cvrle1 Aug 18, 2016

Lol, well played. I have to say that gave me a good laugh. I thought one of the reasons is demand (as I stated) but thought there could be more to it. As for ladies not buying expensive watches themselves, I will partially disagree. I know at least 3 ladies that have a ridiculous collection of really expensive watches that would leave some guys jealous (myself included). Of course they are exception for sure.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 18, 2016

It's the price we have to pay for having men's underwear cheaper than women's :(

8. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 18, 2016

:cautious:

thats why women's shoes are cheaper, too ...

.... oh wait ...

9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 18, 2016

So, you're suggesting that watch collecting transvestites are completely screwed? :rolleyes:

10. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 18, 2016

I would say that, especially for vintage watches, ladies versions focused mainly on being smaller and more decorative. It's not surprising to find a ladies mechanical watch that was $199 at retail to be only worth $30 today, including box and papers. With modern society wearing plenty of quartz powered and wrist gadgets, there's a whole bunch of underappreciated mechanical watches out there...

11. ulackfocus Aug 18, 2016

Actually.....

Ferragamo, New & Lingwood, Alden, Berluti, Church's .....

12. peatnick Aug 18, 2016

not to mention bags . . .

some of us may need bigger closets :)

13. Canuck Aug 18, 2016

50 % of the supply, and 1% of the demand!