Forums Latest Members

WHULT (What have you learned today?)

1. sdre Apr 15, 2018

Hi OF,

I hope to contribute to this forum by sharing the things I've learnt throughout my time being alive.

I'll start by sharing something that concerns everyone; and that's by living healthy.

I'm a physical education teacher by vocation. So counting calories/knowing what's healthy to consume etc/working out, please feel free to ask or pm me. I'll be happy to help out.

WHULT? Though I've been consciously aware what I eat/work out etc, sometimes I worry too much if I had that Kitkat or ate that chocolate bar and I feel terribly bad about overconsuming too much bad calories. A chocolate bar doesn't wreak havoc on the body. It's simply some extra calories that you have consumed and don't be stressed out about it.

Share your knowledge! Learning never gets old :)

OMGRLX likes this.
  2. ag986 Apr 15, 2018

I learned that DON means Dot Over Ninety. I didn't know that it was a thing.

Zapatta, Pun and sdre like this.
  3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 15, 2018

I leaned from my 5-year-old this morning that the Spongebob Squarepants cartoon can teach you things, as it shows what it is like to try and make a living as a fry cook. Plus you can learn a lot about running a restaurant from Mr. Krabs, including how to deal with unethical competitors (i.e., Plankton). Very practical learning, as it is all about the importance of street smarts over book learning.

Zapatta, sdre and shishy like this.
  4. shishy www.hpmor.com Apr 16, 2018

Watching children's shows as an adult is the best, because you pick up all sorts of things that you may have missed as a kid =). Or see it in an entirely different light!

Pun and sdre like this.
  5. sdre Apr 16, 2018

And you get to be in sync with your kids!

shishy likes this.
  6. sdre Apr 16, 2018

I read a fair bit of Manga and watch anime. @sensui is a bit of geek too haha.

One thing I have learned is that some cartoons teach values and some general good vibes about life which I thought is cool for kids. (Naruto talks about the value of friendship, sacrifices and hard work does pay off. Rock Lee has zero talent in fighting but he works his socks off to reach a certain level.)

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 17, 2018

That birds who smash into your window are incredibly resilient...this male Yellow Bellied Sap Sucker crashed into the window yesterday, so I ran outside and scooped him up off the cold ground:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Such a beautiful bird, and I wasn't sure he would make it based on how heavily he was breathing:

Had to get him off the cold ground and elevated to a spot where the cats would not get him. Wrapped lightly in a towel and left him there to recover:

[​IMG]

Checked on him periodically, and when the FedEx driver showed up about an hour later that motivated him to fly off.

Success! :thumbsup:

Zapatta, FREDMAYCOIN, Longbow and 3 others like this.
  8. sdre Apr 17, 2018

I like this :) Good on you Archer.

Nathan1967 and Pun like this.
  9. sdre Apr 17, 2018

Today, I learned to shut the hell up. My best mate's wife told me off via text and instead of me being my usual self (I will retort immediately with very badly choiced words)... but I didn't.

Felt strangely fine about actually. I think less is more. My silence to her whole tirade made her look like a fool; instead of me being one.

TOTIZ and Pun like this.
  10. Wivac Terribly special Apr 17, 2018

Today I learned there is a thing called a Speedmaster Teutonic. I don't know how I feel about that right now.

Jamgantenk likes this.
  11. TOTIZ Apr 17, 2018

Today I learnt that a servicing invoice doesn’t necessarily reflect how many parts were actually replaced ;)

12. TOTIZ Apr 17, 2018

The Germans have a lovely saying: „Du hast Recht und ich habe meine Ruhe“. Translated it means „You‘re right and I have my peace and quiet“. Works wonders with ladies ...... sometimes ;)

13. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 20, 2020

Zapatta and Wivac like this.
  14. Zapatta Oct 20, 2020

15. NGO1 Oct 20, 2020

When my wife said “ FINE, YOU ARE RIGHT!” she doesn’t mean it.

16. time flies Oct 20, 2020

Sometimes. Sometimes. Good enough is good enough.

have fun
    kfw

sdre likes this.