Forums Latest Members

Who would you drink a beer with?

1. alam Jul 3, 2020

I'd join @ulackfocus for a few beers just to hear him talk about some of the silly threads that came about around here :p that would be a treat on its own and worth paying for the beer!

2. sonicosa Jul 3, 2020

In an effort to not roll out of quarantine looking like a beached whale, I’ve cut alcohol out of my diet. I usually walk 2 miles to or from work each day (walk in, take the bus home, or vice versa) as a baseline exercise, so I’m burning much fewer calories than usual. Since I tend to drink a fair amount of beer, that was the easiest place to balance the difference. Today is day, 54, and I’m planning to go to 90.

So in 36 more days, I’d be happy to grab a beer with @JwRosenthal @abrod520 @BlackTalon or any OFer in the general DMV region (DC, Maryland, Virginia).

I’d also be happy to buy a round or 5 for the people who regularly help myself and others. @JimInOz @Archer @Dan S @X350 XJR come to mind of the top of my head.

3. abrod520 Jul 3, 2020

Aw, thanks buddy! I'm in the Bay Area in California but I'd be glad to grab a beer anytime :thumbsup: Actually have done with some OFers in the past, back in New York and out here. Forum GTGs are a great time!

sonicosa likes this.
  4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 3, 2020

For your sake I’ll have a drop of Guiness. After that I’ll have to switch to red wine ;)

Too bad you can’t make it now; I suspect this might be the best time for touring Paris ever— except for some theaters and other venues being closed. But restaurants and cafes are now open, along with major museums.

Edited Jul 3, 2020
  5. MRC Jul 3, 2020

While working in Boston (MA not Lincs) I used to take customers to the Plough and Stars on Mass. Ave. for a drink and buy them all an Irish pint (20floz) of real Dublin Guinness. I'd be on my third while some of them who had never seen Guinness were looking at it as if it were poisonous or to wondering whether to ask for a spoon. The G&Ts in there also came in a pint glass :)

The other play we had with visitors if we were taking them out for a meal in the evening was to go to Legal Seafoods on the ground floor of the building and order a plate of deep-fried baby squid with our beers and look at their reaction. If they were horrified we knew we couldn't take them anywhere but a steak house, missing out on a lot of dining that Boston had to offer.

6. BatDad Jul 3, 2020

Sounds a good place to visit! Will
    make a point of checking it out! Cheers for the recommendation!

I’m always disappointed with LSF. Soft shell crab is perhaps the highlight.

7. MRC Jul 3, 2020

I've just looked them up. At the time they only had two restaurants, now 33 -- so perhaps the growth has affected things.

The other hugely popular fish restaurant in Boston in the early '80s was the "No Name" down in the quays where the fishing boats tied up. No liquor license but there would be an hour to wait for a table, and take drink for the wait outside as well as the meal.

Then there was Durgin Park :eek: :eek: :eek: Permanently closed now I see.

sonicosa and BatDad like this.
  8. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jul 3, 2020

I’m always disappointed with LSF. Soft shell crab is perhaps the highlight.[/QUOTE]

Ya, me too. I'm sure you know that soft shells are available for about 6 weeks, the last couple of weeks in April and the first couple in May.
    When I was in the biz I was able to buy live Jumbos that were out of this world. They tell me no more fresh outside of where they're caught.

BatDad likes this.
  9. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 3, 2020

I’d have to, before I pass this mortal coil, bribe my way into a photo shoot with @Mad Dog with at the minimum of a beer...but really any of the fine members here. Those I have had the pleasure of meeting have been :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

dougiedude, Lonestar, lando and 3 others like this.
  10. sonicosa Jul 4, 2020

I discovered No Name on a work trip in 2015 and went again in 2017. Looks like they closed in January of this year though, which is too bad.

11. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Nov 6, 2020

WYO_Watch and sonicosa like this.
  12. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 6, 2020

I tried to do dinner with Dennis when I was in NYC a few years ago. I know he was up for it, especially given that I bought about 2/3rds of his Longines collection :eek:, and we used to chat quite a lot here, but at the last minute he was called into work and we couldn’t do it!
    He’s an elusive squirrel, but I hope one day when I return to The City we will share a drink... :D

Edited Nov 6, 2020
    Foo2rama, alam and WYO_Watch like this.
  13. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Nov 6, 2020

Interesting thread that I have missed until now!

I have been lucky enough to be able to share a beer with a few members in real life, and I'm still meeting some on a regular basis, and I consider this a blessing in my life!

I would love to actually *buy* a beer to some knowledgeable members who have contributed so much to my ongoing education, I am thinking particularly about people like @Spacefruit @Andy K @Archer @kov and other people outside of this forum who have been kind enough to share the knowledge, I'm thinking about alphahands, Steve P for Heuer, and a few others.

Thank you gentlemen and if we ever get a chance to meet the beer is on me!!!

14. rcs914 Nov 6, 2020

Not to derail the conversation too much, but I too have cut WAY back on my drinking in order to try and be more healthy. I started making my own "hop water" - basically hops steeped for 30 minutes with some nutritional yeast and then I add beef gelatin, collagen, and some sweetener (I use allulose), which I then put in 1L PET bottles and chill. I have a carbonation setup with a 5lb CO2 bottle, regulator, and ball lock valve too. This scratches my itch for beer taste wise, and only has calories from the protein I add for mouthfeel and to produce a nice foamy head.

DaveK and sonicosa like this.
  15. sonicosa Nov 6, 2020

It’s kind of funny you quoted my previous post, because my break from alcohol continues. Tuesday will be 6 months (and also my 2 year wedding anniversary). So, my previous goal of 90 days has been doubled as of today. I might try for a full a year now...

Your recipe sounds interesting. I’ve had a product called HopTea from a Boulder company and might get some NA beer for a cabin trip I’m taking with some friends in a couple weeks.

16. RonJ Nov 6, 2020

So many really great people on this forum.
    Having a beer with many of them would be great fun.

Socializing in person would be interesting after the virus quiets down.

sonicosa likes this.
  17. bradurani Nov 6, 2020

You mean there are watch collectors outside the Internet? Next you're going to tell me it's not about the watches, but the friends you made along the way ;)

DaveK and RonJ like this.
  18. riimar Nov 6, 2020

I see you all mentioned only forum members?
    Well, I don't know that many.
    If I could chose one person only, maybe this guy? :D

3500.jpg

RonJ likes this.
  19. RonJ Nov 6, 2020

So, if you invite janice&fred to meet and have a beer, do they both show up? ... or just one of them?

Dor_42 likes this.
  20. SkunkPrince Nov 6, 2020

I'll drink a beer with anyone who is buying and I can have my choice of brand. :D

Njnjcfp88, Lonestar and DaveK like this.