Forums Latest Members

Who Works In Full/Part Time Brokering in this Field?

1. DocHolliday Dec 4, 2014

So I've been thinking. Which of you work in this field as your full/part? Did you leave behind a career to pursue your passion, or have you found a way to take your hobby and turn it into your 2nd form of income brokering? I want to become more involved, and self aware above anything. Please let us hear your stories! If anyone has anything to add this this question wise. Please add!

1. Where did you decide this is for me?
    2. Do you need a foot in the door?
    3. Has it been gratifying, and a self rewarding journey(full, or part time)?
    4. What's the good and bad you've seen?

2. Pvt-Public Dec 4, 2014

5. Do watch makers/repair people ever take on apprentices?

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 4, 2014

Sure, but almost always after they graduate from, "Watchmaker School"

4. DocHolliday Dec 5, 2014

I guess I phrased this wrong. It's more along the lines of brokering/sales. I draw the line at switching out bracelets, and straps!

5. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Dec 5, 2014

I can only say this is not for everyone and stressful at times.

6. snick777 Dec 5, 2014

Sales are tough, especially if you rely on the money. Better to work the hobby and have a different set income. It will get you better pricing and decisions not based on rent or food. It takes years to build on any career, hobby or not. Age will play a big role in this decision. Hard work and perseverance will pay off if you are determined.

DocHolliday and TNTwatch like this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 6, 2014

I would advise against it but that's partly because amateur watch dealers cause us far more problems and headaches for us to solve than the professional watch dealers.