Forums Latest Members
  1. nihraguk Jun 18, 2014

Does anyone know of a reliable watch repairer in Hong Kong (or Asia) to whom I can send my 145.022-68 cal 861 to?

I've been meaning to send it to Al Archer in Canada, and have secured a place on his waiting list for November. But I found condensation on the inside of the glass this morning - which I take to mean that a service/repair is required asap. I'm based in Hong Kong, so it would be good if I could send it to someone trustworthy here (or in the region).

I know that Berne Horology is on the list of recommended watch repairers in the Modern Omega Watch Forum; but a little Googling hasn't turned up any positive reviews for Omega watch repair, and so I'm a little hesitant.

The other alternative I'm considering is sending the watch to Swiss Time Services in the UK; but their prices are a little eye-wateringly high for to me stomach at the moment.

Your recommendations are much appreciated!

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 18, 2014

861's are well within the abilites of HK watch smiths, including Berne. Parts are available, and skill levels are there. Try also Michael at Classic Watch in Kowloon.

Although STS is expensive, it is done properly. They have a two year guarantee that works. Postage to/from HK is safe and cheap.

i travel all over the world, and have had Speedmasters serviced all over the place. I have yet to find a place better than STS.

So far apart from STS, the omega service centre in Bangkok was surprisingly good with an 861. I am guessing that the HK official omega service would be good too. 861's are a different ball game to the the 321 which I would only send to STS.

Now don't get me wrong, STS are not perfect angels. But apart from Al Archer who is so busy that he cannot take the volume, I don't know a better place to send an Omega If I had the choice.

as for condensation, put your watch in a container (Tupperware, or similar with a lid) of uncooked rice, if possible with the back and movement cover off - taking care not to get any dust or rice inside. Just lie it face down on top of the rice, which will absorb any moisture.

HK is of course one of the most humid places in the world, so not surprising.

now, let's see a photo of your transitional.

3. nihraguk Jun 18, 2014

Thanks for your - always - helpful advice, Spacefruit.

I was under the impression that sending a vintage Speedy to an official Omega service center was a big no-no since they would in all likelihood replace my AML dial with a service one and otherwise strip the watch of its most valuable characteristics.

Looks like my watch will be paying Classic Watch a visit soon! The condensation has dissipated but I'm concerned that all this moisture will damage the innards of the watch in one way or another.

I have no proper photos of the watch at present, but here're two quick snaps. You may recall me previously asking about this watch in another thread.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Spacefruit likes this.
  4. speedyfan Jun 19, 2014

I live in HK too and have used Berne before. They are good and honest, I believe they will have the 861 serviced for you, I don't think they do it in the shop but they know everyone in Hong Kong. Take it by and ask they are very helpful and have tons of spare parts if you ever need anything.

5. nihraguk Jun 19, 2014

Many thanks, speedyfan. I've just dropped off the watch at Classic Watch Repair. Will see how it goes; fingers crossed.

6. pascs Jun 19, 2014

Thats good to know there are some good watch repairs around, I wish I was closer as I have a few 861's that I will need to get serviced within the next year.

Also do you have any experience of these shops doing dial repairs? I have a Speedmaster dial that needs some slight touch up and one that needs dial feet

7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 19, 2014

HK workshops can be geniuses.

8. nihraguk Jul 9, 2014

I need a sanity check. I'm annoyed but I don't know if I have reason to be.

I just got the watch back from servicing at Classic Watch Repair. I paid HKD2500 for the service (which is approximately USD323).

When they returned the watch to me, they told me that they could not guarantee the watch's water resistance. They tested it using a pressure test machine, and the results were 'not good'. They said that for such vintage watches, restoring watch resistance may require them to replace the entire case.

They did not change the crystal, crown or pushers. According to them, this was because they do not have access to those parts. I don't understand why they couldn't just order them from Ofrei or Cousins UK. I'm left wondering whether doing so might have fixed the water resistance problem.

They only took apart the movement, determined that no parts needed to be replaced, and relubed everything.

Two questions:

1. Given the amount of money I paid, should I have expected them to restore the watch's water resistance and replace the crystal/crown/pushers? Or was HKD2500 a fair price for servicing the movement alone?

2. Since the movement has already been serviced, I would prefer to put off servicing the watch properly (ie sending it to a reputable serviceperson, getting its water resistance restored, changing the crystal/crown/pushers) until the next service interval (ie in 3 - 4 years time), or until the watch starts to fog up again. Is this wise? Or should I send the watch to STS/Al Archer at once?

9. speedyfan Jul 9, 2014

In the mean time go to Berne in Central and talk to Johnny, tell him what happened. He has ALL the parts you need in stock and can probably replace the pushers/crystal/crown while you wait.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 9, 2014

What you paid is a fair price for a movement only service of a 321 chronograph, I'd expect to pay more for parts. Expecting water resistance is a bit tough, as far as I'm concerned if its a 321 it isn't meant to get wet at all anymore. A VERY early 861 like yours I'd put in the same category both price wise and WR wise.

11. pascs Jul 9, 2014

If they didnt replace the pushers and the crown then its unlikely that the watch will be water resistant. I normally replace these as soon as I receive a Speedmaster etc just to be on the safer side to prevent possible moisture ingress from sweat or when washing hands etc (its very humid where I live)

The parts are relatively cheap and easy to replace on a Speedmaster. Then have the watch checked for water resistance.

12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 9, 2014

The price charged is totally fair.

Omega's parts restriction policy is clearly in evidence.

i pay approx £400 for an omega service in UK which is about HKD$5300. For that they replace the crown, pushers, crystal and any other parts only if below spec....including the mainspring.

so far this year three of the four 861's I have sent for service have failed water resistance. It's higher failure rate than normal, probably reflecting the general deterioration of the available quality as collectors buy and hold the good ones.

a speedmaster is never going to be a swimmers watch, so it doesn't bother me.

D.D. and pascs like this.
  13. nihraguk Jul 9, 2014

Thanks for everyone's responses. I feel much more reassured that I did the right thing and paid a fair price. I'll probably go with speedyfan's suggestion of getting the crown/pusher/crystal replaced at Berne, just for peace of mind.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 9, 2014

I don't know the market there, but the price is certainly very good for a movement service if they did the job right. Also, did you not discuss the scope of the work with them before handing over your watch? You should not have found out after the service was done that they don't have parts access.

Water resistance is always a tough thing with these vintages watches. Certainly not replacing all these parts is not helping the water resistance, but replacing them all is also no guarantee that the watch will pass pressure testing.

I know it's not an Omega, but it's a watch I was working on a couple of days ago, and it illustrates the problems these watches can have - vintage Rolex:

[​IMG]

Note the areas where the O-ring seats on the case - here is a closer look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the case back - multiple sites of pitting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Changing the crystal, case tube, crown, and case back gasket still did nothing to make this watch water resistant.

Cheers, Al

D.D. likes this.
  15. nihraguk Jul 9, 2014

Thanks, Al. You're right: I didn't, and should have, discussed the scope of work before the repair. This was the first time I had sent a vintage watch for repair, and I guess I just didn't think to ask about water resistance.

16. larryganz The cable guy Jul 9, 2014

Just had my 1974 Speedmaster Pro serviced last week, and it passed the 30M pressure test.

Still not sure what that means I can do while actually wearing the watch. So far I'm told I can sweat on it, spill my iced tea on it, or run out to the car in a sudden summer storm.

D.D. likes this.
  17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 10, 2014

Pretty much that, I wouldn't shower or swim with it that's for sure. Speedmasters are like cats, they may be technically water resistant but they don't like being wet in general.

SpikiSpikester likes this.