Forums Latest Members

Who owns a rattrapante/split seconds? Question about seconds hand alignment

1. CSM Jan 14, 2018

There are quite a number of rattrapantes I have my eye on, but in watching a lot of reviews on YouTube, on more than one occasion I have noticed the two second hands not aligned properly as they travel around the dial in unison:

Untitled-1.jpg

This would drive me absolutely crazy. No doubt it could be fixed with a service, but how common is this? Do rattrapantes have a tendency to "split" like this over time and with age? Any wisdom on the complication in general? I'm sure different models and calibers have different propensities for such a thing, but as I realize my obsession with this complication any info is helpful. Thanks!

Paedipod likes this.
  2. Paedipod Jan 14, 2018

yup would drive me crazy too. This is my second one....hands dead on unless you look from the side
    IMG_0135 (1).jpg

3. Lexm Feb 12, 2018

Could it be because they are on the same axell and when reset after splitting it uses quite some energy to go back to 12’o clock and you see the hands waving from left to right and back quite a bit. Would not surprise me that this could be the effect of that. It is a fragile system.

Or check out this litle feed on youtube.

At 0.55 sec when resetting the flyback, have a look at the “seeeping” left and right of the split-second hand.

4. Lexm Feb 12, 2018

But yes, that would also drive my crazy. Once seen, it can never be unseen i guess...,