Forums Latest Members

Who is he and why is he wearing a straight lug Speedy?

1. sulaco Oct 4, 2014

[​IMG]
    c/o by Nasa and Susie from ebay

Does anybody know which Astronaut this is? Forgive me my not knowing even as a ebay enthusiast. :whistling:
    I find the combination of a Velcro and a straight lug Speedy quite interesting, thought they just used it on later Speedy´s.
    It is also the first time i see the short Velcro in action, because i did believe NASA only used the long ones and the short ones
    were just made for the collectors market.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 5, 2014

Should know both of those mate! The bloke in the background is Deke Slayton, one of the Mercury Seven until he was removed from flight duty for medical reasons, he flew on the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project later in the 70s. In the foreground is Michael Collins from Apollo 11.

3. sulaco Oct 5, 2014

::shy:: ::shy:: Thats Collins in the Front .... Geee ... you are right, really embarrassing for me that i didn´t recognize him.
    Maybe i was distracted by the Velcro strap, because you usually see the Apollo 11 Astronauts with a JB.
    So Collins had two Speedy´s ...
    I did remember the guy in the background thou... hope that counts ;)

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 5, 2014

Who's the guy behind Collins then?

:D

5. bill5959 Oct 5, 2014

You know what gets me is how young these guys look. A lot of responsibility into the unknown. Amazing courage.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 5, 2014

Deke still has that pissed off I'm not allowed in space and these guys are kind of look on his face, glad he at least got the ASTP in the end.

7. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Oct 5, 2014

+1 to the last two posts.

Collins looks unbelievably young.

Just received a copy of Deke's book and awaiting a signed copy of Collin's "Carrying the fire" which is rated as possibly the best of the astronauts books.
    Looking forward to the summer break and a chance to get some good reading in.

Dash1 likes this.
  8. Kizzi Oct 7, 2014

The picture was cropped from s66-42763.

[​IMG]

The photo credit is from the Gemini Program, and that is quite early for short watchbands to be seen. But the short length was specified in the NASA blueprint SEB12100030, both 9.5 inches long (-209) and 11.5 inches long (-210).

There's a genuine flown -209 in the National Air and Space Museum.

[​IMG]

9. sulaco Oct 8, 2014

If the picture is that early it potentially means that the short velcro even came before the JB.
    Very interesting Info, thanks

10. ricardorio Oct 10, 2014

Dear friends, JB was a personal options of each astronaut to be used in his personal lifes, The wrist velcro band was provided by NASA.

Best, Ricardo.

11. Kizzi Oct 11, 2014

Fast forward 30 years and now the Omega Speedmaster and Velcro watchands are "crew preference items" (for inside anyway). Last worn as an ensemble by Shuttle astronaut Franklin Chang-Diaz in 1998. Obviously a Speedy fan seeing how he wears his the Buzz way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this the last recorded instance of an astronaut wearing his Omega Speedmaster inside the cabin?

Varasc likes this.
  12. sulaco Oct 14, 2014

I thought NASA did decide to use the JB bracelet because it was less sturdy as the standard Omega bracelet and easier to break when you got entangled with it somewhere :confused:

13. TLIGuy Oct 14, 2014

I believe you are correct. I know from one Apollo astronauts account he was issued his Speedmaster head only along with the NASA Velcro strap and JB Champion bracelet together in a separate bag.