Forums Latest Members

Who have both, modern 3570.50 and FOIS ?

1. Stas Jul 24, 2016

Hello there,

my first post, but I visiting this place regularly :)
    Is there somebody who own both modern Speedmaster 3570.50 and FOIS? What was the reason for you to you keep both?

[​IMG]

A few months back I got my 3570.50. pre-owned to see how I feel about owning a Speedy in general. It is two years old in a nice shape, came with box and papers, back sticker and it is a lovely watch!
    But I think if I want to have Speedy Pro forever, I'll probably get a brand new from GM dealer in EU after some time.
    In the mean time, I looking at FOIS as well and now thinking maybe I should get a brand new FOIS as a dressy option and keep 3570.50. as tool watch to use accordingly, so do not mind that it was pre-owned. I know both watches are great and I like hesalite/history aspect of one as well applied logo/smart look/rarity of another. But in the mean time maybe they are not so different to justify having both?

Also I see FOIS getting less available new. And if I sell 3570.50. I can get brand new any day of the week.
    Thank you for your opinions.

2. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jul 24, 2016

I would suggest that you aim to keep the 3570.50 long term. It has all the essential 'Moonwatch' elements and yours will be cost effective to maintain and won't be needing a service for a few more years yet. You can easily retain interest by the swapping of straps to keep the 'look' fresh. The FOIS Sedna is pretty expensive and, to me, unattractive because of the dial design - as with the new CK2998 the positioning of the sub dials related to their colour contrast with the white 'ground' results in an unbalanced overall dial layout. The standard FOIS is more realistically priced, but both models will be considered a touch too small for traditional Speedy fans like me. In your situation I'd be looking - with plenty of patience - for a really mint condition 145.022/145.0022/3590.50 with which you'll be able to see 'patina' but also have the advantage of the serviceability of the 861 movement.

Stas likes this.
  3. jcmartinez98 Jul 24, 2016

If you're looking for people to bolster this argument for you, you've come to the wrong place.....

Atleo likes this.
  4. micampe Jul 24, 2016

Edited Jul 24, 2016
    Stas likes this.
  5. Stas Jul 24, 2016

6. Stas Jul 24, 2016

Thanks for your input... I should say my local Omega AD never have seen FOIS in the flesh and I was even not able to find anybody who owns one to have a look and compare. But if nobody here owns both, then it is a good answer for me as well :)

7. alam Jul 24, 2016

I believe there are a few of us around here that own both models. I personally enjoy both and although to the casual observer (e.g. wife) these two watches look almost identical, I do like a lot the minor differences that make the FOIS distinct from the 3570.50 -- a reason to keep both? well, by keeping one in black leather, the other in brown allows me to quickly match my shoes/belt when running late to work on a Tuesday morning! or just.. heck! why not?

:p

thumb_IMG_2981_1024.jpg thumb_IMG_2986_1024.jpg
    Tritium, pascs, WatchVaultNYC and 2 others like this.
  8. ctime3 Jul 24, 2016

Ironically I saw both at the Onega boutique yesterday. Personally I do like the FOIS more. But everyone likes to own the original which makes sense. After reading articles / reviews of the top three or five speedmasters everyone always states everyone should have the original. But I could be incorrect with my history of the modern releases the FOIS would be a great second to the original. For example if one does not have a hesalite in his collection does he get that instead of the ck2998? After seeing pictures of the ck I would order that but some could disagree.

9. Stas Jul 24, 2016

Nice, thank you!

10. jcmartinez98 Jul 24, 2016

I was being silly. Sorry if that didn't come across. You will find many members who have multiple versions of the same watch....

Stas likes this.
  11. Stas Jul 24, 2016

Thank you. Could you please advice which year for 145.022/145.0022 ideally I should look at?
    I had a feeling that 3570.50 is not so different from older models with cal. 861. But I agree it may not develop the same patina with time.

12. WatchVaultNYC Jul 24, 2016

3570.50 on stitched rubber Planet Ocean deployant strap for everyday
    FOIS on brown leather strap for casual/dressy

Stas likes this.
  13. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jul 24, 2016

I wouldn't be too worried about year - focus on condition of the individual watch, the (documented) service history and integrity of the seller. To me a well cared-for and serviced 20 year old is better than a 10 year old with more wear and tear and no record of services. The thing about the pre-3570s is that they had the tritium dials, so will develop 'patina', whereas the latest versions use Superluminova which will not - so you will always have two distinctly different looking watches.

14. Stas Jul 24, 2016

Thanks! Having a modern Speedy for daily use + find an older one with more vintage look makes sense. :)

Edited Jul 25, 2016
  15. Stas Jul 26, 2016

Excuse me, do you own any of 145.022/145.0022/3590.50? Regarding the year, I mean maybe it was some specific years when they used some specific paint for the dial, so it will age differently. Also on Speedmaster101 web they believe 145.022-78 was the last valuable models produced for instance.

16. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jul 26, 2016

I don't think specific years are of much relevance - certainly not as important as the condition/provenance of the individual watch. And what does 'valuable' mean? That's all relevant to somebody's personal budget and aspirations. Also, the judgement will continue to change over time as the earliest stuff - CK/105/145.012 - becomes virtually unobtainable and the earlier 145.022s start achieving resale prices of the hyper type. I know there is talk of a general softening of vintage watch values, but as with things like classic cars, items of real intrinsic quality will indeed still appreciate in value. Unmessed-up Speedmasters from the Sixties/Seventies are surely thus classified?

17. Stas Jul 26, 2016

With valuable I understand possibly more desirable models. If 1978 was the last year Omega marked the inside case back with a date, then pre 1979 models may be more desirable for example. But this is just my curiosity. I will look for condition, not the case numbers at the end.