Forums Latest Members

Who are the Experts, let´s name them! Or not....

1. marturx Feb 7, 2016

Over the last period of time, I have had reasons to dwell over the concept of "Expert"

To me an Expert is a person with an in depth knowledge on a (pretty narrow) topic. I have a couple of expressions that I love to hate, and they are:

1. "Waiting for the Experts to chime in....". Chime in, a pretty funny expression. I guess it´s referring to someone coming down the chimney. Like Santa Claus
    2. "I´m no Expert, but....". Meaning I´m most likely wrong, and if I´m right it´s pure luck.

I consider myself as the classic generalist. Knowing a little something over a broad spectrum. I think I possess a good knowledge of swiss made vintage wristwatches from better/ classical makers. In general, no real in depth knowledge though, that could qualify me as an Expert in any field.

Being a member there for a few years now, I do have noticed that some members here may well qualify as Experts in certain areas in the watch field.

But, in general, up to now, who they are, these real Experts, haven´t been as tangible as I think they deserve to be.

Let´s take them out of the shadows and give them the recognition they deserve! :)

I can start and name a few that struck me as very knowledgeable within their respective presumed area of expertise:

I could go on, but would like to hear what you other guys have noticed regarding this topic. Pls continue the name drop! ::popcorn::

Edited by a mod Feb 7, 2016
  2. NT931 Feb 7, 2016

for all things JLC
    for expertise in many horological things, especially when it comes to movements

But hey

Edited by a mod Feb 7, 2016
    George.A and marturx like this.
  3. lillatroll Feb 7, 2016

I'm no expert but so I'll wait for the experts to chime in, I think Christos71 has a lot of insights about many watches, connies for example, Tom Dick is always thorough for megahertz watches and quartz watches, in fact it is my dream to snag one of his watches one day, they are always superb and the guy who always signs off with good hunting seems to have a lot of detailed knowledge too. Archer goes without saying and Canuk both offer nice advice about the mechanics of watches.

NT931 and marturx like this.
  4. OMTOM Feb 7, 2016

Agreed with all of the above.

And Tire-comedon must be added immediately: Yann is a fount of knowledge and a wonderful and generous source of information and supporting paperwork covering earlier Omegas.

I always enjoy the interesting and informative work from ChrisN (as an example, look back at his wonderful explanation of the 561) – and as a footnote, a great help to me recently with unravelling an Olympic pw problem.

Yes, experts.

Edited Feb 7, 2016
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 7, 2016

No there is too many knowledgable and good guys to mention. The great thing is all are happy to help at anytime and all are far to humble to be called experts.

The one thing this great forum has a lack of is Ego.

With a good dose of humour and wise-guys that love a good ::stirthepot:: Makes this place a good place to hang out and enjoy what we all like.

aap, Geo!, Noles_88 and 9 others like this.
  6. lillatroll Feb 7, 2016

Standy is right on the money with what he says, so many helpful people here, and so much knowledge shared so freely.

7. ulackfocus Feb 7, 2016

I'm an expert asshole. :D Just being born in Philadelphia is like an Ass-ociates Degree, which gave me a jump on many others. The decision to further my talents was easy. After all, if you're good at something you should hone your skills.

nickw, bristnj, Traveler and 6 others like this.
  8. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Feb 7, 2016

Philly: The City of Brotherly Shove

duc, ulackfocus and Archer like this.
  9. 250scr Feb 7, 2016

Let's not forget about @Spacefruit, who else has put so much work into a website just for vintage speedmasters for all of us to look at and gain quick knowledge.

ChrisN, Garv, Hijak and 1 other person like this.
  10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 7, 2016

I would suggest that no person be named as a particular expert here without first privately asking their permission. It has the possibility of naming them for a job they may not desire on a regular basis or could potentially target them in other ways.

Geo!, SpikiSpikester, Alpha and 4 others like this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 7, 2016

Think Dennis has jumped in the job feet first along time ago. Be hard work for anyone getting him out.

12. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Feb 7, 2016

I would be difficult to thank all the people who, in pursuit of their own knowledge, have shared it in these forums. I feel very lucky to have stumbled upon this board.

mozartman, duc, NT931 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Hijak Feb 7, 2016

This is what makes this forum superior...the free flow of information here is unparalleled! I too feel lucky to have found this place.

Garv, duc and OSP like this.
  14. NT931 Feb 7, 2016

Good point - we don't want our experts inundated by a flood of time-consuming enquiries ranging from the important to the trivial.

Let's recognize them publicly in name only if they give consent, while privately, as many of us know, they deserve our admiration and gratitude.

Hijak likes this.
  15. marturx Feb 7, 2016

Oh my... I was censored....:(

First time ever here. And all I wanted was to honour some knowledgeable members.

@cicindela why don´t you just remove the whole thread if it was so sensitive, out of bounds? There are others named too in subsequent posts

16. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 7, 2016

To me the expert opinion is the forums opinion. Yes, there are some individuals that clearly carry more weight when it comes to specifics but by and large the true expert opinion comes out of the discussion and consensus on a given thread: "A Versus B Versus C plus humor plus ignorance plus new statement and back to A v B v C" and now just make up your own mind as what you actually want to believe for "the truth is out there in the thread"

When there is a clear consensus it's easy to see...when there is not it is often because the OP simply does not really want an opinion but rather a validation...and we're not the best bunch for that game.

Also in many cases the opinion of the neophyte, or the hobbyist (such as me) carry a lot of weight because it is closest to the base consumer and less tainted by expertise and the bias that comes with knowledge. This is particularly valuable on the "Sub versus Seamaster" or "Speedy versus Gonzalez" threads where the end user common sense is sometimes as important as how many springs and jewels and screws a movement has. Or when an ETA movement watch is measured against an in-house movement...despite the fact that the ETA will outlast some particular in house pieces....or when a fan boy insists God himself owned a particular watch etc. In such cases there is no expert opinion....just opinions.

I must admit I cringe a little (even though there a little ego bubble pops up) when I receive a PM asking for my "expert opinion" based solely on my post count or the fact that I happen to own some great watches. It is true that I have done my research on what I own and buy (like the 1675 and 16710 and the 5512 and 14060M), but in that sense my vision is extremely tunnel driven. When the questions extend to some more rare pieces or even some general knowledge questions i admit Google is my friend and I often do an extensive search and answer with the findings. I don't do this to deceive or elevate my status, but because if I have the time doing these search and analysis explorations is a fun way to extend my knowledge and go deeper into my hobby. In other words, it is sometimes a fun and self serving exercise to look for answers that other people are too lazy to look for.

Lastly, If you don't know who the "experts" are in this forum then you are very new to this forum and should be a little more patient and do some reading before asking for a "Guide to experts".

If such a list is made I would setup a Billing account to pay for their expert services, for they will automatically cease to be equal members in the forum sharing their passion and expertise and become abused sources of information. If one comes here only to abuse the experts or to get an expert opinion and then run away with the information I would suggest they save the money on that last watch and use it to pay a good watchmaker for their services and counsel. This si NOT meant as a dig to the OP or any particular member, it is just a general comment.

CdnWatchDoc and dennisthemenace like this.
  17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 7, 2016

Its not that I don't agree with the premise, I just know that in the past a lot of the more experienced guys have had to deal with a deluge of PMs that can be quite unpleasant for them as it means we both miss out on interesting threads here, and that those guys have a less enjoyable experience on the site.

Its more for that reason I'd rather those guys chime in as they choose to rather than be listed in a phone directory of sorts for help calls.

From memory @gatorcpa actually had a thread at one point politely asking people to post questions in threads instead of PMing him for advice as he was having to field far too many for the time he had available.

Traveler, Hijak and Nobel Prize like this.
  18. marturx Feb 7, 2016

It never struck me that those mentioned should be taken advantage of, and to an extent also, that they should feel harassed.

Maybe things has gotten way to serious lately in this hobby of ours

19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 7, 2016

You are correct and thank you.

And it is that time of the year for me again. After the Super Bowl, I'll go into virtual hibernation until mid-April.
    gatorcpa

20. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 7, 2016

PM sent!

No, not really. Just fooling around