Forums Latest Members

Whitey Bulger watch auction

1. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Jun 20, 2016

The government is auctioning off Boston gangster Whitey Bulger's stuff as recompense for the families of his murder victims. He had many watches; many, many Rolex, one Omega (a nice Deville), some Audemars Piguets (not to my taste, but hey, a $140,000 watch would be kind of cool I guess), one Panerai, and I forget what all else. Most of them are blinged out.

Check it out: http://bid.txauction.com/U-S-Marsha...ve-Online-Simulcast-Auction_as43031_p2?ps=100

When viewing 100 items to a page, they're on pages 2 and 3.

2. West Slope Jun 20, 2016

Wow....who says crime doesn't pay.

ahartfie likes this.
  3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 20, 2016

In b4 the 4th "who says crime doesn't pay?" joke!

ahartfie and West Slope like this.
  4. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jun 20, 2016

Its a shame he has crap for taste...there is not a single watch in there that appeals to me.

duc, ahartfie and OMGRLX like this.
  5. Canuck Jun 20, 2016

My condolences to the families of this guy's victims. But I would be unable to overlook his murderous past, even if I got the deal of a lifetime on one of his items. Did you say his name was bugger? No? Well, he was one!

lillatroll, wsfarrell and ahartfie like this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 20, 2016

citizenrich likes this.
  7. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Jun 20, 2016

citizenrich likes this.
  8. West Slope Jun 20, 2016

citizenrich likes this.
  9. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 20, 2016

In his defense, I don't think he was buying these watches to show off @ an upcoming watch enthusiast GTG.

Apparently, he had a lot of this stuff squirreled away @ various locations all over the US and Canada. It's not like he could deposit his criminal income in a checking account at one of his neighborhood bank branches.

Supposedly, he a had a fairly large sum of cash in his possession. You can only keep so much cash: a million bucks weighs like 22 lbs and takes up a lot of space. A platinum AP is a pretty bright alternative way of storing or hiding a large amount of money which also serves the dual purpose of being highly liquid and easily convertible to cash. It could also be a good investment. Could be.

The ruby and diamond stuff was very popular back in the 80's. You can tell he become much more sophisticated w/ his watch buying starting in the mid 90's right through whenever he made his last purchase.

There are some nice pieces in the lot. Really nice.

Edited Jun 20, 2016
    ahartfie and West Slope like this.
  10. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Jun 20, 2016

::puke::
    typical red sox fan's taste...

leetse2 likes this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 20, 2016

Another evil POS. However in this case, this is just a pile of loot. A garish pile of loot. All the best to the beneficiaries.

OMGRLX likes this.
  12. repoman Jun 20, 2016

The way I read the auction description, none of the luxury watches are part of the Bulger collection.... "(Lots 5000 - 5157) are from other U.S. Marshals National Forfeited Cases. "

13. Jonatan Jun 20, 2016

Correct!
    Featuring Personal Assets Formerly Belonging to James "Whitey" Bulger and Catherine Greig (Lots 1000 - 1103).

Those size 9.5 asics are pretty cool. ;)

14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 20, 2016

If that load of crap is all he has to show for his life of crime then I'm glad I'm not in the mob business.

Quartz Guccie and other quartz rubbish only saved by a Seiko (quartz).

OMGRLX likes this.
  15. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 21, 2016

Oh.

That's disappointing. I read an article in the Boston Globe that Bulger had stuff hidden all over the US and Canada.

That's some seriously misleading B.S. right there. Isn't the Federal Government usually more transparent and squared away than that? Bwahahaha,,,,,ha. I swear the USA becomes more and more banana republic-y each day. And, it's not incremental - it's like we're racing to the bottom. I can't for the life of me figure out what's so appealing about the 3rd World to our ruling class.

I know it's written in small print but you'd have to be a world class bullshitter to convince me that the USMS and the auction house weren't being intentionally deceiving. /end rant

TheCaptainOfTech and OMGRLX like this.
  16. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jun 21, 2016

Several great watches in that auction. If you look through the auction items the lot of shovels is interesting. I wonder how many graves (holes) those shovels were used for. Whitey sure has a shady history.

17. cristos71 Jun 21, 2016

Yeah, but you only like beat up members of the rusty club ;) :D

18. ICONO Jun 21, 2016

"A platinum AP is a pretty bright alternative way of storing or hiding a large amount of money which also serves the dual purpose of being highly liquid and easily convertible to cash."

It is also an easy way to swiftly 'launder' undeclared, or criminal income - The practice is common in central Europe

Ever noticed how many pristine 'pre owned' examples of high end watches, originate from former Soviet Bloc countries ? - Albania, Romania, The Czech Republic

Usually originally purchased in the Cayman islands, or another off shore tax haven

Some sales are legitimate....but many are cash conversion.

19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 21, 2016

That's what this is. Basically Pirate Loot.

20. TomGW Jun 24, 2016

What a coincidence - I got halfway through reading 'Black Mass' on holiday, last week, and still to finish it.