White Shadow Dials?

Posts
1
Likes
0
I have been searching for a Universal Geneve 866151 dial for a while now without any luck. I was wondering if anyone knew of any sellers/marketplaces that may be helpful? I religiously search buyee and ebay regularly to make sure nothing is popping up that I would miss. There seem to be many more 866049 and 866051 (integrated bracelet ellipse) dials up for sale. But Im not positive these would work for an 866151. Some of these have 'Universal Geneve' written in the same line while others have the script stacked, with 'Geneve' directly underneath 'Universal' on the dial. It seems like there are quite a few configurations of dial script/color for the 866151. I want to make sure my understanding of this is correct and was hoping somebody with more knowledge of the white shadow line could enlighten me. My understanding is that 'Universal Geneve' is almost always stacked on the 866151 dial, with the only exceptions being some blue dial variants and some roman numeral dials. It seems that every 866151 with the white/sunburst dial has the stacked script and I have yet to see an exception. The issue is that I've found a white dial with 'Universal Geneve' on the same line, but I don't believe it would be correct for an 866151. If anyone has any information on this, I would love to hear it. And if anyone could point me in the right direction of a correct non-roman numeral dial I would be forever grateful!
 
Posts
348
Likes
306
866151 is a very rare model because it was exclusive to the Japanese market. There are two dial styles: the one with the "Universal Genève" name on two lines is the older version. It usually also bears the "Ultra-Slim" inscription; however, following the release of the even thinner Piaget model, that designation was dropped, and the "Universal Genève" text switched to a straight-line layout. Both versions feature the thick, blocky "U" logo.

I don't have any information regarding the dial's compatibility with other Ellipse-style models. If I were in their shoes, I would have taken a pragmatic approach and modified only the case to optimize parts inventory.
You'll just have to take the plunge—alea iacta est.

Pay attention to the color of the hands: this dial uses black-painted hands, whereas the blue dial version has white ones.

By the way, this is my favorite model in the White Shadow line. Don't hesitate to post some photos 😉
 
Posts
38
Likes
53
On all white shadow references the Universal Geneve on two lines with “Ultra Slim” is older? I have a ref 866104 “ellipse” and always thought the Ultra Slim and two lines layout was newer.
 
Posts
348
Likes
306
You just need to compare the serial numbers on the back. Most of the time, the "ultra-slim" models are the earliest ones. However, as with many other brands from that era, the dividing line isn't clear-cut; there is some overlap between versions. You also have to factor in dial variations. Strangely enough, it isn't difficult to find a white Ellipse dial with Roman numerals; one would need to check the serial numbers associated with these dials.
Edited:
 
Posts
38
Likes
53
Yeah I took a look at a sample of some serial numbers from blue dial 866104's on the web which I believe to be legit. There is definitely some overlap. There also appears to be a 2-line Universal Geneve variant with no "Ultra slim" which I wasn't aware of.







1 Line Text no ultra slim 32000xx


1 Line Text no ultra slim 35729xx


1 Line Text no ultra slim35183xx


2 Line Text no ultra slim31996xx


2 Line Text no ultra slim33666xx


2 Line Text Ultra Slim33645xx


2 Line Text Ultra Slim35705xx


2 Line Text Ultra Slim35112xx
 
Posts
1
Likes
1
866151 is a very rare model because it was exclusive to the Japanese market. There are two dial styles: the one with the "Universal Genève" name on two lines is the older version. It usually also bears the "Ultra-Slim" inscription; however, following the release of the even thinner Piaget model, that designation was dropped, and the "Universal Genève" text switched to a straight-line layout. Both versions feature the thick, blocky "U" logo.

I don't have any information regarding the dial's compatibility with other Ellipse-style models. If I were in their shoes, I would have taken a pragmatic approach and modified only the case to optimize parts inventory.
You'll just have to take the plunge—alea iacta est.

Pay attention to the color of the hands: this dial uses black-painted hands, whereas the blue dial version has white ones.

By the way, this is my favorite model in the White Shadow line. Don't hesitate to post some photos 😉
Will post some photos soon! Found a correct NOS dial shortly after I posted this. Going to have the watch serviced and the new dial installed. Cant wait to have the finished product soon. Also, I've heard now from multiple sources that the 866151 was japanese exclusive. Did UG ever corroborate this or publish any information on the topic? Sure does seem like most of the 866151s pop up in Japan or Europe with very few in America. I've gone down the rabbit hole with UG records a few times and quickly realized their record keeping is quite scarce