Forums Latest Members

Which white dial watch? SMPc or Exp II?

1. Drb477 Jul 31, 2020

Without going too much into things, as an oncologist, Covid19 has been more than a bit of a rough time although the challenges it has posed have shifted as time has gone on. I was initially concerned it might affect income as volume was really down for the first 6 weeks, but it's become very clear that won't be the case going forward and I've been incredibly busy since late April with no signs of slowing down. This with the kids out of school and now no idea when they will be back, increased administrative burden at work, and all the same s--- everyone else is dealing with... well let's just say I'm not feeling my best. So anyway, I'm looking to purchase a little watch therapy... because I can and a watch is way cheaper than a new 911 and lasts longer than a craft beer 4-6 pack which are really my only other materialistic joys I can just go out and buy. I'm looking to add a white dial (or grey/silver) and have narrowed down to the White/black diver and an Explorer II. I've also had my eye of the new JLC Chrono Calendar, but as a new release at 14k it's probably a bit much and I'd expect a much better deal on it in the not terribly distant future.

As far as complications go, I realize they are different. I like the idea of complications from a mechanical/historical standpoint, but far as actually using them goes, not so much. So for example, I like having the extra GMT hand there because its cool and a little different, but I'm not exactly a world traveler. Same with the timing bezel more or less, that I do use but it's generally for a "time to go kids" sort of thing (certainly not for actually diving).

SMP
    PROS about half the market price, updated version of a model with plenty of history (which appeals to me), ceramic bezel, dial a little more interesting with subtle wave pattern & panda aesthetic rather than just white
    CONS SMP in general was not love at first sight although I've come around to it depending on the specific model, I have a lot of Omegas already, as far as pandas go what I really want is a ceramic Daytona which I have loved since the first time I saw it... but that was when I thought you could just buy one at MSRP.

Exp II (current 42mm version)
    PROS have wanted for a long time, love the history/concept of the explorer (albeit not so much specifically the exp ii but that doesn't bother me), a little more "classic," it's a Rolex which I don't have (wife wears a yachtmaster though so I have bought one just not for me... haha)
    CONS about double the price, "rolex" name with both the good and bad, not necessarily readily available at msrp

I have name down (supposedly) for a Hulk and/or Pepsi but who knows when, if ever, they will come through and the current market price for both just isn't worth it to me.

If they were the same price, I'd pick the Explorer but seems kind of hard to justify at approx double the price. I guess in summary, $8-9k seems like a bit much for the Explorer compared to the Omega (or similarly MSRP priced Hulk/Pepsi for that matter) but I have several Omegas already? Since it partially comes down to cost, I'll say price isn't really THAT big a deal in that I'm not imposing a financial hardship on myself here, I can pay up to get what I want if that's what needs to be done, but I like to be able to justify how much I spend on things to myself.

Current collection
    Aqua Terra
    Planet Ocean (42)
    Planet Ocean GMT (43.5)
    Speedmaster '57 Broad Arrow
    Screenshot_20190807-220036_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190829-214104_Chrome.jpg 20200225_063658 (1).jpg

Edited Jul 31, 2020
    Duracuir1, scjt and Wetworks like this.
  2. dstfno Jul 31, 2020

Not that I'm really a fan, the Explorer 2 is probably the only no nonsense Rolex sports watch that is left and one that hasn't lost its tool factor. It didn't get the shiny treatment like the other models (yet?) and flies a bit under the radar. Like most Rolex models, not really that desirable not that long ago but nowadays almost all models are.

Considering that you already have 4 Omega's I would definitely try what the other camp has to offer. It did the same a while ago when choosing a Datejust over an Aqua Terra and while the markup was a bitter pil to swallow I couldn't be happier now.

schoolboy, Commisar and Wetworks like this.
  3. orlis Jul 31, 2020

Well, I had ex II polar white and decided to go for white dial 300m...:)

I find modern exII a bit too big although size is same (42mm). 300m can be worn on rubber and steel bracelet so it adds some diversity. Also you will have to wait for ExII while 300m is widely available.

Value retention on exII is not as good as on submariner or other sought after models (I sold mine below retail and it was listed here for several weeks, with mainly dealers making low ball offers to immediately place it on their site with high premium). If you manage to get a good discount on 300m, the value retention won’t be that bad.
    I voted with my own choices for 300m :)

68A35EE4-48A5-4079-9D08-34762811BC40.jpeg
    CDCC957B-A635-48CE-9072-67E4F0352091.jpeg
    22D3AF5D-8778-44ED-80A5-3E9DFDE6CD73.jpeg

4. vbrad26 Jul 31, 2020

If I was buying something brand new, the Omega.
    But I would take a polar 16550/16570 over the Seamaster.

5. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 31, 2020

That would be an easy choice for me...Explorer II.

schoolboy likes this.
  6. Donn Chambers Jul 31, 2020

When I think “white dial sports watch” only two come to mind: the Explorer II and the Cartier Santos. I don’t think Seamaster at all. So I’d go for the Explorer II because it’s a classic.

If you haven’t considered the new Santos de Cartier, you should take a look at it as well if “white dial” is your main criteria. It may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but it is a beautiful piece.

stevenyoo, KeithS and Drb477 like this.
  7. killer67 Jul 31, 2020

Explorer II the least Rolex of the Rolexes. Doesn’t scream Rolex and one of the only Rolex sports models with a white dial (Daytona being the other)

8. Drb477 Jul 31, 2020

Great pic of both watches Orlis.

I want something with a light colored dial, doesn't have to be literally white, a light grey or silver could work too. When I think SMP I think blue or possibly black dial, but I do tend to like the more unusual variations of classics rather than the "classic" itself. It's part of why Omega in general tends to appeal to me more than Rolex, lots of different variations including all the often maligned limited editions.

However, in this case, I view the Exp II as somewhat of a relatively unusual variant of a classic... considering Rolex sport watch in general to be the "classic." So basically it's a Rolex, but its not a particularly common version (i.e. black Sub).

The Cartier brand in general isn't really my cup of tea personally but thanks for the suggestion.

9. Croc Jul 31, 2020

Both nice watches, but reading your post sounds like you really prefer the Explorer II over the SMP. That being the case and as you say that the price isn’t that much of an issue, I’d go for the Explorer. At the end of the day it’s pretty difficult to justify any watch logically, so go for what you prefer.

LemansBoiler and Wetworks like this.
  10. 140dave Jul 31, 2020

Go with what you like best, if price doesn’t really matter just go with your gut and tell the little voice in your head to shut up and enjoy. :) I have the same “frugal” streak and sometimes just have to tell myself it’s okay to spend the money.
    But for me, I like the bezel contrast on the SMP better if the GMT isn’t really a useful function for your life.

11. Thrasher36 Jul 31, 2020

[​IMG]
    My vote goes to the Explorer. That being said
    I love Omega , just not the SMP300 in white

12. Thrasher36 Jul 31, 2020

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

schoolboy likes this.
  13. llvhhui Jul 31, 2020

You already got 4 Omegas. I’d add a Rolex.

14. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 31, 2020

@Drb477 I too share your like of white dial pieces. I am with you on that. Of the 2 you are torn between, I would take the EXP-II, it is a very well resolved design which takes much of the best of the originals but in a modern case. I am a massive SMP fan and indeed have owned many, many earlier versions (10+) but I am not sure the current white dial model is best served by the black bezel. The Great White did it better for me.

I note you have the rarely seen black dial 1957 Broad Arrow Speedy as part of your collection, I actually have the reverse dial version of that. It is actually 4 different silver finishes rather than flat white but the overall effect looks white at first glance. Anyhoo here are a few pics below of my white ( or near white) pieces for your pondering, the last a curve ball I just happen to have on today:

IMG_2499.jpeg IMG_6619.jpeg IMG_0146.jpg

15. Wetworks Jul 31, 2020

Looking at your collection it seems that a theme for you is going a bit off the beaten path style-wise, something I can appreciate. That, coupled with the lack of a Rolex and your strong desire to have it, the Explorer is a no-brainer.

schoolboy likes this.
  16. Jimbo555 Jul 31, 2020

You really can’t go wrong with either so just follow your gut. On the price differential, both are almost as good as money in the bank and far far more enjoyable.

I’d probably go for the SMP if you put a gun to my head but have you considered the previous generation Explorer II 16570? The 40mm case wears very well and it’s more subtle than the current offering.

17. stevec14 Jul 31, 2020

I’d go Explorer 2 - look at both the 5 and 6 digit models.

the white SMP doesn’t do it for me like the other cookout combos

18. ChiefMark Jul 31, 2020

I'm glad someone posted the white Seamaster GMT. I've always seen that as Omega's Explorer II. If they only made that watch with an engraved steel or ceramic bezel... I have the black dial 50th anniversary GMT and it's a great wearing watch. I think it would be equally great in white.

19. Happy Jul 31, 2020

Never been a fan of the Explorer 2 and absolutely love the dial on the SMP.

So easy choice for me

ChiefMark likes this.
  20. RadiumWatches Jul 31, 2020

Tough choice, but given that you already have several Omegas, the Rolex seems like the best option.