Forums Latest Members

Which watch do you think will impress my neighbors more?

1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 9, 2015

let's cut to the quick:

Patek Phillipe Natutilus

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak (Offshore)

??

White gold or maybe...red gold?

I know there are other potentially "better" watches than either of these (2) at this price point but for the sake of, of...which one of these 2 only impresses the impressionable most???

Mad Dog likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 9, 2015

Thought you lived in America?

Rolex Day-Date with aftermarket diamond bezel and Kanye on the dial imo :)

LouS, TexasKevin, davidswiss and 9 others like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 9, 2015

In all seriousness though, I'm a piggyback chronograph bigot, and for that reason I can't like the offshore (assuming you're talking the chrono not the diver, diver is fine).

If its between the 5711 and the more common point of comparison, the 15202 AP RO Jumbo, though call and there's no right answer as both are amazing.

If its 5711 vs the ROO diver, then 5711 would get my nod, if its 5711 vs the ROO chrono, then hands down 5711, because the magnifier being needed to see the date down low in the movement and the offset pushers and crown looks cheap in a watch that should be anything but.

sailingchamp and MikiJ like this.
  4. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 9, 2015

Thank you :)

I've got a birthday coming up...

*edit - I've been hanging with my neighbors a lot this summer and one of the members of our "gang" just received a beautiful, brand new two tone Rolex GMT from his lovely wife and he was showing off his awesome new hardware. I guarantee there haven't been many prouder men than he.

the wife of one of my neighbors inquired as to what watch I was wearing and I proudly said "Wittnauer!".

The reaction left me feeling a bit emasculated.

So, I immediately thought of a Nautilus. In the meantime I'll have to break out the Submariner(s), Ulysee Nardin Divers and my Blancpain Fifty Fathom...

But, I really think a Patek sport watch will impress the most...

Edited Aug 18, 2015
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 9, 2015

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 9, 2015

One of the other interesting options is the annual calendar Nautilus, its not much more than the normal 5711 but the symmetry in the complicated yet cleanly designed dial looks spectacular.

[​IMG]

7. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 9, 2015

Holy cow dung!!!!!! That's the exact watch I was just looking at - I really like calendar watches.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 9, 2015

Its the same movement from the 5396 which tends to cost a lot more, but oddly the 5711's SS Daytona-esque demand keeps the prices on the most simple version so high that the much more complicated calendar is actually really good value in steel.

If I were buying that's where I'd go imo, the slate grey goes with more things than the Nautilus blue and the nagging unfinished look of the 5711 date window on the right isn't there. Just looks more complete and even to me, and you get a micro-rotor movement too which just looks plain cool!

citizenrich and MikiJ like this.
  9. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 9, 2015

Impressing anyone with a watch other than Rolex means AP or Hublot.
    My answer is heavily influenced by my mid-life crisis-inspired switch to listening to the hip-hop station on my satellite radio (don't judge, I still like Vivaldi, Sinatra, Zeppelin and Coltrane too). In the "bars" they "spit," (can't say it and sound like I'm part of the culture), I hear only Rolex, Audemars, and Hublot.
    Haven't heard a rapper or any other lyricist drop the name Patek yet.

citizenrich likes this.
  10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 9, 2015

@citizenrich

Given your stated goals, if I were going to drop that much cash on a watch, my first pick would be the Rolex GMT reference 116719 (white gold, with ceramic bezel). I know it isn't on your list, but hear me out.

With this one, you've got a watch that will both impress the neighbors and still actually be useful for actual active wear. The Pepsi bezel is classic. And as an added bonus - it is realy quite affordable (for any rich citizen at least) - it can be had for under $30k in the grey market.

citizenrich and pitpro like this.
  11. NT931 Aug 9, 2015

The 5711 gets my vote.
    Not just because of the classic design, or the way that blue-green-grey dial just shimmers in the light (oooooh ::love::), but the story you'll tell about how you waited for ages just to get one of these scarce 5711s will impress them to no end.

ROO? Pffft. No fight! But as Ash said, between a 5711 and a AP 15202 , it would be a very tough call, but I'd still pick the 5711.

BTW, if you're considering a Nautilus with complications, why not the 5712? Another seriously cool watch which I confess I can only dream about...

sailingchamp likes this.
  12. blubarb Aug 9, 2015

If you really want to dress to impress then how about the Nautilus 5990/1A

KD13769-845x562.jpg

But I don't think that's what you really want.

Edited Aug 9, 2015
    citizenrich likes this.
  13. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Aug 9, 2015

Without question: Patek Nautilus. Whatever version makes you smile the most :)

citizenrich, sailingchamp and NT931 like this.
  14. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Aug 9, 2015

I like the Nautilus (don't love it... dig the porthole look but those side flanges have always bugged me a little... I'd take an old RO for my haute-Genta fix), but the modern models with complications always feel like tarted-up heritage editions to me... gone the beautiful simplicity.
    If you put screws to my thumbs and make me spend $30-40k on a new Patek, this is the way I'm going:

[​IMG]

Tritium and JimInOz like this.
  15. Wetworks Aug 9, 2015

Get an A. Lange so they can say "huh?" with blissful ignorance. You'll be the wiser, and that's all that should matter.

16. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 9, 2015

If your neighbors reaction is what matters to you just make a print of the purchase receipt and glue it to your forehead.

Edited Aug 9, 2015
    Willem023, Geo!, dejex22 and 13 others like this.
  17. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Aug 9, 2015

Too funny...I bought my wife and myself matching Nautilus when our business "turned the corner". Our customers would often remark: "I thought you were doing so well now that you would wear a Rolex?" We always responded: "It's not what you might think." ;)

If you're looking to put a smile on your face every morning then a Stainless Nautilus would be best. However if you're looking for a "special" dress-up day/night timepiece, I always loved my Langes more than my Pateks. Especially a Lange Up & Down - simply elegant.

18. Davidt Aug 9, 2015

Fake Submariner and let everyone know it's a blatant fake but you're ok with that because no one can really tell and it only cost you a pony.

citizenrich likes this.
  19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 9, 2015

The great "impressionable" masses wouldn't know what a PP, AP or AL&S was, it's string theory to chipmunks.

The Great Impressionable only know of the Rolex.

Wear whatever makes you feel happy when you look at your wrist.

20. Superdoc Aug 9, 2015

Are you seriously deciding on a watch based on What OTHER people will think?

I have long since abandoned the Idea of watch as Status Symbol...

The reason for your watch purchase is what speaks about you, not the dollars spent or brand prestige...
    The man wears the watch.. not the other way around.

Willem023, watchme, kov and 14 others like this.