Forums Latest Members

Which Watch Brands in Your Opinion Appreciate the Most Past and Present Watches

1. Marsimaxam Aug 28, 2020

I realize that foremost we are mostly collectors and hobbyist, but there is definitely a money side to all of this madness. Many buy watches as investments and others buy watches to immediately flip and hopefully make a substantial profit. How many times do we see a post asking what a watch is worth, and not if we like the watch?

The value of watches can ebb and flow over time and with changes in taste and demand. For example, a number of years ago, Panerai watches were extremely hot in terms of flipping. A special edition would be released for 15k and the next day selling for 25k and collectors were buying.

When people ask me which watches are good for investment purposes, my answer is usually along this line:
    Vintage Watches
    Rolex Sports Models, Submariner, Daytona, Gmt, Explorer 2, Milgaus
    Patek Philippe most all of the complications and some with unusual cases, but in general PP are a good investment
    Omega Speedmasters the older the better and definitely prior to 1969
    Panerai
    Pilot Watches, WW2, Breitling 806, Longines Lindbergh
    If you look at auction results over the years, Patek Philippe and Rolex dominate

Modern Watches
    Rolex Sports Models
    Patek Philippe
    Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore and especially Limited Editions
    Omega Speedmaster Special and Limited Editions... think Silver Snoopy

That's my short list, what is yours?

2. TDBK Aug 28, 2020

That's a great list of things that would have been a good idea to buy some years ago, but for the future, who knows?

3. Dan S Aug 28, 2020

I love those rare posts where the OP doesn't ask about value.

Dynoso, Mark020 and Marsimaxam like this.
  4. janice&fred Aug 28, 2020

You must be an expert. No one has ever asked me that. I must travel in different circles. Come to think of it no one asks me advice about anything. :D

Syrte and Marsimaxam like this.
  5. wagudc Aug 28, 2020

Indeed, "buy low, sell hight." You run the risk of doing the reverse if you buy what is super hot now.

6. Walrus Aug 28, 2020

Hey fredjan how are you today. See I asked you something

sonicosa likes this.
  7. janice&fred Aug 28, 2020

yea but you didn't mean it.

8. YY77 Aug 28, 2020

I don't have a short list because I don't care about watches appreciating or not, I buy what I like so I can't imagine the mindset of people buying watches as investment.

Marsimaxam and janice&fred like this.
  9. janice&fred Aug 28, 2020

For unbiased expert advice on watch investments there is always the Rolex Passion Report.
    <cough>

Syrte likes this.
  10. Walrus Aug 28, 2020

ah no remember I asked your opinion about the Hamilton and asked you about a couple Rolex as well

11. janice&fred Aug 28, 2020

Oh yes I remember now and thanks for making me feel better.

<sniff>

Walrus likes this.
  12. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Aug 28, 2020

Simply PATEK!

Marsimaxam likes this.
  13. Marsimaxam Aug 28, 2020

I find that hard to believe as you are THE Janice$Fred. Friends and family know I collect watches, and a few, who only buy things if they think they can make a profit, ask me questions. I, also, have in conversation with friends talked about watch flippers. So they ask... am I an expert... No, but I like to think I know a thing or two about watches, but, always learning.
    Janice&Fred offer plenty of advice on this Forum. You must be experts too. Kidding aside, you’re my favorite couple on the OF.

14. Marsimaxam Aug 28, 2020

No guesses?

15. Marsimaxam Aug 28, 2020

Unfortunately, there are too many with that mindset... flippers who buy limited editions then sell for a huge profit. The watch business is a big business whether you participate or not... auctions, dealers, private sellers, eBay, and online sites such as Chrono24; check the price of a Silver Snoopy lately?

I do like the way you think... you’re a collector and a hobbyist

16. janice&fred Aug 28, 2020

FIFY :D

Marsimaxam likes this.
  17. Marsimaxam Aug 28, 2020

I've been misquoted, but then again, as Einstein once said, "I never said half the crap people said I did."
    So, the bar is low, I'm sure another couple will be on the OF within a decade or two.

18. gbesq Aug 28, 2020

If you want an investment, buy a mix of stocks, bonds, real estate, options and precious metals. Or start a small business. I collect watches because I like watches. Collecting them as investments is a risky business.

Syrte likes this.
  19. janice&fred Aug 28, 2020

well as most know it's just me posting as Janice has better things to do. She was semi-active on MWR and VRM but that was while we were mainly located overseas. I just use the same "Janice&fred" name here so people know who we are from other forums and watch shows.

20. Marsimaxam Aug 28, 2020

:(