Forums Latest Members

Which Vintage Omega(s) would you consider to be good investments (at least 5-10 year time horizon)?

1. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 8, 2012

I know we're supposed to look at vintage omegas as a hobby and not an investment but who says you can't kill the proverbial 2 birds with one stone? My choice here is the cal. 321 speedmaster in all its forms. Honorable mention to the early stainless steel screwback 33.3 chronographs, the earlier thin bezel (with original bezel intact) seamaster 300s and perhaps the railmaster and omega raf /53 thin arrow watches. Overall I think vintage omegas are a good place to park money in (of course the nice pieces with excellent condition) but I still think the sports watches are a safer bet than the dress watches all things considered (the vintage connies may yet prove me wrong!)

Privateday7 likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Jul 8, 2012

Agreed - blue chip chronometers and dive watches are a safe bet regardless of the case metal, but I think the solid gold Constellations of the 50's will out-earn them by a little over the next decade.

Mid level specialty watches like the Soccer Timers and Chronostops seem to be steady too.

If you want to fool around with the equivalent to penny stocks in vintage Omega, the late 60's Constellations, particularly the undervalued C-cases and front loaders have huge potential. Nearly all except solid gold can be found in mint condition for under $1000, sometime 2 excellent examples for that price. Also, the 10xx series might be the next to take a small leap in value. Considering you can get them for a comparative song right now it's a low risk gamble. I'm talking about the Seamasters, Constellations & Seamaster Cosmics with or without integrated bracelets. These are great entry level Omegas and will always have some demand.

Like we've all said, as Omega upgrades their current line the vintage pieces will appreciate.

MKelley and Privateday7 like this.
  3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 8, 2012

You might be right about the solid gold 1950s connies with one big IF - and that is IF gold holds or increases its value but if it gold goes down in price then it is possible those watches go down in value as well.
    My "penny stock" if you will would be the cal. 751 and cal. 564 seamaster chronometers rather than the c-shaped connies. I accumulate those over the c-shapes mainly because I like their looks better.

4. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 8, 2012

I'd consider all of the watches I own to be the best investments.

How do I get to be a moderator?

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 8, 2012

I'm going to say gold connies but primarily anything with a solid gold dial that isn't going to rot over time too

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 8, 2012

Move to New Jersey is the safest bet, whether or not its worth it depends on how sensitive your nose is ;)

7. ulackfocus Jul 8, 2012

Or Australia.

Easy now, it only stinks when it gets above 70.... or when the bodies aren't buried deep enough. :cautious:

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 8, 2012

The way I hear it, they're forced to live in New Jersey moderator relocation camps.
    Relocats.jpg

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 8, 2012

If we go on recent sales, CK2915s are immeasurably strong, one could argue that '57 Speedmasters are almost level pegging with Paul Newman Daytonas at present in major auctions.

White gold and platinum 1950s dress models are extremely strong, probably far stronger than most would expect. Rarities also seem to be holding up well.

In the not-so-hot column, I think Rancheros are overpriced as it is, at their small size they're not wearable by enough people to establish a strong market for them as they're a boys size sports watch rather than an elegant dress watch, there was a lot of talk about Rancheros being the next big thing a few years back which I think pushed their values higher than they deserve. They were touted as a poor man's Railmaster, and if they were a good buy maybe, but when their prices are creeping up you may as well just spend the extra and buy a Railmaster

10. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jul 8, 2012

I think black dialed Constellations/Seamasters and nice Pie Pans will always be desirable watches and would probably keep their value.

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 8, 2012

I think original 2915s have surpassed the daytonas - they routinely fetch over $50,000 at christies and sothebys. I believe with their original bezels they will eventually be $100k watches. They are far harder to find than the Paul Newman daytonas.

Rancheros not too small - they are datejust sized watches at 36mm sans crown but their prices are flat.

michael e likes this.
  12. pmontoyap Jul 8, 2012

Any Omega with a rotating bezel, larger than 38mm and that does not need a battery is a good investment.

Pre moon speedies regardless of year or ref.

Constellations in mint condition.

And of course anything that is actually "rare" like seamaster pie pans, seamaster chronometres, country specific editions.

13. ulackfocus Jul 8, 2012

Yeah, man! ::jumpy::

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 8, 2012

Can I add another one to the list... CK2014 Scarab, this thing has so much appeal just in its design, significant size, and uniqueness, and one recently went for around $1500 on ebay, for that money its a stonking great buy just as a terrific wearing watch that makes people say "wow"

http://omegaforums.net/threads/recent-acquisition-ck-2014.722/#post-7182

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fattony and Hvacman like this.
  15. pmontoyap Jul 8, 2012

:D lol

16. Dash1 Jul 9, 2012

For investment you always need to buy 'best of breed' ie. an excellent original example of the model. Good 2915's have got be a good bet, if the average value of vintage Omega's doubles over the next decade then you've turned your $50,000 into £100,000 and as MSNWatch said, I can see them getting there. But take a look at the price of a 2913 and that's got to be undervalued at the moment, so a good choice.

Of course all the 321 Speedies will do well, but I think the 145.022-68 and 145.022-69 models (the first ones with the cal.861) are also undervalued at present. After those models, only the limited edition Speedies will increase in value over the norm.

No one has mentioned the mighty Ploprof yet! With a high original sales price and aimed primarily at professional divers, very few were sold. Couple that with its incredible history and ultimate vintage 'tool' watch looks and its got to be a real winner, despite them not being cheap today. A true legend!
    Most of the other Omega dive watches are also superb value and can surely only go up in value, the 300 being the most popular and a bargain when compared to Rolex.

At the bargain basement end, how about a Chronostop driver 'under the wrist' model? I just picked this one up for £200, just needs a new pusher but is otherwise a nice example (this picture was taken just at it arrived, no cleaning etc..)

Driver.jpg

At the end of the day I just buy what I really like safe in the knowledge that good examples of vintage Omegas should all prove a good investment - if I can bear to part with them!

17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 9, 2012

I have had a few conversations with some vintage omega friends over the past few years and we have agreed that if your main concern is return on investment then all you buy will be cal. 321 speedmasters - the best condition ones that you can find again and again and again. I have always considered this part of my collection as the equivalent of bonds in the typical investment portfolio - same small downside but much larger upside than bonds though.
    I agree with the 2913 and I would add the 2914 as very undervalued pieces. There is no reason why these watches shouldn't be closer to the rolex subs and milgauss models in terms of value.
    And the scarab 2014 pictured above is a personal favorite of mine as well - it is a beautiful watch and I think these will go up in value as well.

18. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 9, 2012

And lets not forget the ploprof also has value as a boat anchor, artillery round, door stop, and maybe for olympic curling.

I really want to be the guy that finds a complete 2915 at a garage sale for a quarter. I read those stories (kinda like Penthouse Forum) and it kills me to see some of the buys, but I HATE to go to garage sales. So if any of you are at a garage sale and see a 2915 for under a buck, please pick it up for me, and I'll pay you double your cost for your trouble.

19. ulackfocus Jul 9, 2012

I always image my find will be a Zenith. Who wants a watch made by a TV maker anyway? Gonna happen one day.....

20. smithrjd Jul 9, 2012

Ouch, Zenith TV's.. In my early days in Radio TV electronics I used to have to fix those things. Unlike vintage watches, TV's now days, actually most consumer electronics, are throw aways. The professional gear is not a whole lot better. One now replaces entire "modules" instead of actually troubleshooting and fixing something. The only Quartz watch I own is the GMT/UTC module on my Chronomat.