Forums Latest Members
  1. mark1459 Jan 27, 2017

I've only gotten serious about collecting in resent months. My next must have is a Speedy. Problem is which one. There are so many, variations new and preowned, it makes my head spin. My absolute favorite is the 57, but it's a little pricey. Second choice would be the moonwatch, with leather strap. My numerous questions, how do the different movements stack up. Would you buy from a non ad, like Jomashop. In the moon watch, sapphire, vs hesatite. In the preowned mkt. who can you trust. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Mark

Rodmar likes this.
  2. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 27, 2017

You meant "hesalite" (plexiglass) :rolleyes:

3. b-16707 Jan 27, 2017

sapphire, vs hesatite = tons of threads on this. So much so in fact, a google tells you all

4. alam Jan 27, 2017

I'd predict many around here will tell you to go with the "traditional" Moon Watch, reference 3570.50 // 1861 movement and hesalite crystal - plenty of them around and buying pre-owned will save you $$. You should check with @Kringkily as he is a proven/trusted enabler around here.

5. AnotherDon Jan 27, 2017

Even if you intend to wear your new watch on a strap, but it on the bracelet. If you buy it on the bracelet, when you decide to sell or trade the watch it will still have the bracelet and it will be an easier sell than the same watch on a leather strap. In the meantime if you decide you want to wear it on a strap, for a couple hundred dollars you can get a nice Camille Fournet strap to wear it on. Going the other way (buying on strap and deciding that you want the bracelet) will be far more expensive.

Rodmar, Foo2rama and alam like this.
  6. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 28, 2017

hesatite ? makes me hesitate :D

7. OhMegaMan Jan 28, 2017

I will go against the grain and suggest sapphire model. The plexiglass scratches way too easily to my liking. I know i will be polishing the heck out of it with my ocd. Another thing, the sapphire model also has open caseback where you can observe the movement in action. So if i were to choose, sapphire model would be it.
    Your other question jomashop, seems ok. Many here have used it. Personally, i dont buy from online shops with no brick&mortar establishment.
    As for preowned, you can browse this forum in the for sale section. Many trusted dealers.
    Hope you find this useful. Cheers.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 28, 2017

Most people prefer the look of the non sapphire. But if your afraid of scratches sapphire is good too.

Check the for sale section here :)

9. gostang9 Jan 28, 2017

Check out chi town watch website, I had good luck getting a good deal there.