Forums Latest Members
  1. Ari1982 Nov 14, 2014

Hi everyone,
    I want to join the Omega club owner by purchasing my first speedmaster watch. I have studied a bit and I like the moon watch series. What is your opinion between the professional and the coaxial ? I know professional is more authentic to the original moon watch and it's a bit thinner too, but maybe coaxial is more convenient to use everyday ?

also what is the difference between 3070.50 and 311.30.42.30.01.005 or 006 etc. ? are these the same watches? I'm really confused

Thanks
    Ari

Edited Nov 14, 2014
  2. Maximus84 Nov 14, 2014

Hello! I've just gone through a long drawn out process of deciding on my first Speedy. It was between the new 'Racing' series and the Moonwatch. I went for the Moonwatch in the end, ordered it today!

You can read through my thought processes and the comments of fellow forum members on the thread below.

I'm not sure about 3070.50, but the new references for the Moonwatch are the 311 series as you posted above. The 005 is hesalite (a type of plexiglass) crystal and solid case back. The 006 (the one I went for) is commonly known as the 'sapphire sandwich'. It has a sapphire crystal and sapphire transparent case back.

Hope this helps, I'm new to the whole thing myself so I'm sure some much more knowledgable members will offer some words of wisdom!

Thrasher36 and BFOmega like this.
  3. Ari1982 Nov 14, 2014

Thanks how do I find your thread and which one you got? I like the ones with clear back so you can see the mechanism and parts

4. repoman Nov 14, 2014

You asked for opinions... I have one of those :D

Speedy Pro vs Coaxial: For me it boils down to a combination of history and technology. The Speedmaster Professional has the history and has the pedigree; time proven chronograph and iconic overall timepiece. The direct connection to the Space program and the only real "Moonwatch" (IMHO) mean something to many of us. Many of us own several Speedmaster Professionals, there are so many variations there's something out there that can appeal to anyone. On the technology side, the Co-axial Speedmaster has the benefits of a modern in-house movement, sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating, automatic wind, a bit more power reserve, on a larger 44mil case. It retains all the looks of the original, so to the uneducated, they wouldn't see any difference. Cost can also be a factor, if you are cost sensitive, a like-new Speedmaster Professional from a seller like @Kringkily will run you $3000 - $3500 range, a co-axial Speedmaster will be substantially more. Personally, I prefer my manual wind Speedmaster Professionals, but honestly, you can't go wrong with either.

"both" is a good answer as well. ::rimshot::

As for reference numbers, I think you meant to say "3570.50", which is the previous reference number for the standard Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch. That format is now replaced with the 311.... reference numbers which are explained here: http://www.speedywatches.com/reference-section/pic-explained/

Edited Nov 19, 2014
  5. Ari1982 Nov 14, 2014

6. andrewd Nov 14, 2014

My thoughts on the pro vs coaxial:
    - Pro is an iconic watch with a fascinating history. One of the only 'vintage' watches you can buy brand new.
    - Co-axial is just another modern watch. Nicely made for sure, but too big and without any historical significance.

7. Maximus84 Nov 14, 2014

My thread is the 'OK, so I have a dilemma...' one that you should still see on the front page. There are a few good comments in there from various members that may help you.

The old ref numbers (3570.50 etc) are essentially the same watch as the new 311 series, however the new ones come with a fancy box with extras such as a couple of straps with a changing tool, a loupe and a couple of booklets. The bracelets also have screw caps covering the pins, but this is a minor aesthetic point (afaik).

The old 3573.50 (now 311.30.42.30.01.006) has the sapphire crystal (and clear case back), and the 3570.50 (now 311.30.42.30.01.005) is the 'classic' hesalite front, solid metal case back.

8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 14, 2014

Yes, the speedmaster Pro comes in the traditional Hesalite and steel caseback version and on a Sapphire sandwich (Back and front sapphire panels). The traditionalist would go for the Hesalite, for the daily wearer mostly the sapphire, On the wrist they're pretty much identical. Purists will analyze the diffraction of light and visual feel of the Hesalite as a desirable vintage factor. The "truer" moon watch would have hesalite because on 0 gravity Hesalite cracks but sapphire, if it does break, can pretty much ruin everybody's day by fragmenting and being a breathing danger. But in my opinion I think we sometimes tend to be a little too stuck on the past and disregard advances that most likely the original wearers of the watch would have gladly accepted. In other words, What watch would NASA choose today if we where "Just" going to the moon? Historically unless you get a 321 caliber which is the original caliber taken to the moon you're pretty much buying into a myth. an outstanding quality myth that won't let you down, but unless it matters to you, get the one that seems better for your wrist. I have the hesalite 1861 caliber and am very happy with it. I would not be unhappy with the sapphire, and I would be ecstatic with a 321c.

9. Ari1982 Nov 15, 2014

Thanks everyone for detailed information, I am leaning towards the professional model with sapphire back as I really like the idea of seeing the mechanism.

my other question is regarding dealer, do you guys buy from online dealers like JOMASHOP or WATCHMAXX? are they legit? It seems like they are significantly cheaper than local jewelers at least in this area and I like the idea of saving money if it is basically the same authentic product. If it is shady I would prefer local stores. I just have no experience buying these kind of watched before...

Thanks

10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 15, 2014

I've used Jomashop in the past and the product was real (had it certified at Aaron Faber in NYC) Swissluxurywatches in also good. Just make sure you clear timeline with them and wether they have the product in stock or you'll find yourself waiting a few weeks. Most of these vendors offer added discounts if you pay through bank transfer (no cc fees or pypal fees) which gives you an added couple of hundred in savings.

11. Mathlar Nov 15, 2014

Speak to @Kringkily and secure yourself both a decent price and buy from the most reputable and highly regarded Speedie dealer around.

STANDY, NT931, Tritium and 1 other person like this.
  12. Ari1982 Nov 18, 2014

Thanks guys, I did contact him. meanwhile SwissLuxury seems to have the best online prices...

13. Shem Nov 19, 2014

I second the recommendation of @Kringkily. You can't go wrong with him, and I would choose him any day of the week over any of the big-name grey market sites.

STANDY likes this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 19, 2014

+1

3750 will be $600 cheaper as the 311.30.42.30.01.005 will have the new price point, box and nato