Forums Latest Members

Which speedmaster professional as a daily beater

1. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead May 16, 2014

Ok guys if you were going to use a speedy pro as a daily user in a working environment that had to have the following criteria, tritrium dial and it's going to get used enough to get marked. I work in a garage mainly bodywork at the moment but will turn into mechanical work as well. The watch would be coming off my wrist when obvious damage might occur but you never really know. Cost is a factor as well so no hens teeth sixties grails just a real working tool. No other variants please just the moonwatch.

2. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter May 16, 2014

well you can find beat up 861 for the 70's or so without too much effort on Ebay for high teens or 2 with need of service and then ur good to go.

Spacefruit likes this.
  3. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member May 17, 2014

Definitely an 861 from the 70s-90s. They are bulletproof and relatively inexpensive with a design that didn't change.

4. Ferik May 17, 2014

I never hesitated using my '97 911 as a daily driver in rain & snow but I don't know that I would subject a speedy to that much abuse! More power to you! Buy a real beat up 861 on ebay. Maybe even consider a Reduced?

5. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead May 17, 2014

Wow the 861 production run was forever, that is probably the one to go for, I noticed the transitional ones is it are too good or rare to abuse.

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 17, 2014

I don't consider the reduced a speedmaster. It has very little connection to the 861/321 speedmasters that NASA used, and therefore while they might be adequate watches, they are not speedmasters.

Not really.

TLIGuy likes this.
  7. Ferik May 18, 2014

Fair enough

8. timeismoney May 18, 2014

How about the Speedmaster MkII? It was good enough for Chuck Maddox and possibly Chuck Norris if he doesn't kill the watch first.