Forums Latest Members
  1. Dave Glass Sep 27, 2017

Thinking of adding a Speedie to my 168.010 Connie. I like both the Racing 326. 30 and the blue dial 3212.80. Obviously the black dial is a time honored style, but I'm wondering if the blue dial will become dated down the road. I'll pick what I like, but just wondering if blue dials tend to wear thin on one's sense of style over time. What say you, blue dial owners? [​IMG][​IMG]

trez likes this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 27, 2017

There is a large variety of Speedmaster dates and racings.

Try one in for size first, I find they wear a bit smaller then the 40mm suggests. Additionally the sub dial detailing I think works better with the Panda type
    Dials, not solid color dials.

I find I rarely wear mine and wear my pro instead.

IMG_3727.JPG

3. simon.pearl Sep 28, 2017

Agreed, prefer the panda dial

4. dialstatic Sep 28, 2017

I'd go for the blue dial. For one thing, I like the shape of the date window, the 6-9-12 positioning of the subdials and the (in)famous 7750 wobble.

But more importantly, these features make it it's own watch rather than a speedy pro wannabe. The gorgeous blue dial and bezel simply reinforce that further.

trez and Foo2rama like this.
  5. panaitchrono Sep 28, 2017

If I'll say that I like the black one it will not help you at all...:)

6. Mozziebite Sep 28, 2017

I had the black version of the blue watch. Lovely, but I did find the silvered subdial hands could be very hard to see unless you angled it "just so" to catch the light. Although when the light caught the face right it really popped. I'd imagine the blue maybe even more so.

IMG_0529.JPG

7. Dave Glass Sep 28, 2017

I love the panda on a white dial but the Racing "blue panda" does not appeal to me. Somehow the darker blue dial with black subdials just doesn't work to my eye. Per your suggestion, I may have to drive over to Atlanta from Birmingham to try on my options for size as well as look. I currently wear a 35mm Connie from 1966 so everything new looks big. Thanks for your input.

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. Dave Glass Sep 28, 2017

The panda on white looks great, but I wonder if it, like the blue dial, might be a bit trendy and appear dated a few years down the pike.

9. Dave Glass Sep 28, 2017

I think the blue dial is a knockout, but might actually prefer the date at 6 if that was offered. Forgive my ignorance, but what is the 7750 wobble?

trez likes this.
  10. dialstatic Sep 28, 2017

The Valjoux 7750 movement has a rotor that winds in one direction, but moves freely in the other. Because of (I think) inertia, this can produce a wobbling sensation on the wrist, especially if it isn't fully would. Many people at first seem to think it's broken (I did anyway) but it's a known phenomenon that I've grown to like. It makes the watch feel more 'alive' somehow.

trez and Dave Glass like this.
  11. Dave Glass Sep 29, 2017

Well, I knew about bumpers, but the wobblers are a new one on me. Thanks for your observation and explanation. In addition to reading forum postings, what are some of the better sources for detailed information about current Omega movements? The Omega USA site gives mostly marketing-related info and caliber designations, but little background data revealing movement adaptations, limitations, etc. I've just started frequenting Fratellos and similar sites, but it appears I have a lot more homework to do. [emoji102]

trez likes this.
  12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 29, 2017

There's not much to know outside that. What info do you want. Your 2 pics have been out of production for awhile.

Dave Glass likes this.
  13. Dave Glass Oct 1, 2017

Think I'll try a couple of books. Some of you guys are amazing with your breadth of watch knowledge. Professional or hobbyist? [emoji41]

14. trez Nov 27, 2017

I just ordered a used 3212.80 with the blue dial from Crown & Caliber. Hoping it looks sharp and runs well!

time flies likes this.