Forums Latest Members
  1. steevvvooo Sep 29, 2020

While the speedmaster is always a space themed watch I've been giving more thought to taking the concept one step further. I love my c.2000 hesalite Speedie but am considering adding one of the following watches. In my mind at least, both have the "space" theme but add a little to the regular speedmaster narrative.

Soyuz meteorite dial

Regular Speedie dimensions
    Meterorite dial (real space history)
    Dated/classic looks? (vs ceramic options which are more contemporary...)

Aventurine ceramic

Larger size but ceramic case
    Blue case might age badly vs more classic Speedie?
    Amazing starlight sky dial and rose gold highlights
    Modern movement
    Cheaper than the soyuz

Any thoughts? Opinions? Criticisms? I passed on a soyuz Speedie about 7 years ago from a shop window at £3.5k and still regret it to this day. If I wanted to fix that, and maybe I do, it's going to cost me £8k to get a good Soyuz. I could make excuses and justify it... but whenever I get budget creep like this I always think about what other options look like and that aventurine dial is beautiful...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Marsimaxam Sep 30, 2020

If you can afford, get the Soyuz Meterorite Dial... we all have regrets.

Here's what Fratello Magazine had to say in 2013...

"Meteorite Dial
    The coolest feature on this limited edition (to 1975 pieces) Speedmaster Professional Apollo-Soyuz is the meteorite dial of course. This, together with the special engraved caseback are the major differences with a normal ref. 3573.50 Speedmaster Professional. Of course, as you can see on the pictures, the hands are also slightly different. Not a single dial will be the same, as the structure of the dark colored stone varied per cut.

At some point, the list price of this Speedy Meteorite was just over 6000 Euro. This and the fact that there were only 1975 of them, make it quite an exclusive appearance. In the pre-owned market, I’ve seen them on Chrono24 starting at approx 5000 Euro / 6300 USD.

Is it worth the extra money compared to a ‘standard’ Speedmaster Professional with sapphire crystal? In my opinion certainly, as this will be a (future) collectors item without a doubt. Especially since the dials are unique for each timepiece, it is certainly something special. So if you have one, keep on to them."

meteorite-1-2-580x386.jpg
    Source: https://www.fratellowatches.com/spe...sional-apollo-soyuz-with-meteorite-dial/#gref
    Original Review 2010:
    https://www.fratellowatches.com/the...professional-apollo-soyuz-meteorite-reviewed/

steevvvooo likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 30, 2020

Speddieorite.

no question. Unless you have a Daytona meteorite dial modded with a black ceramic bezel.

connieseamaster and steevvvooo like this.
  4. steevvvooo Sep 30, 2020

If anyone has a lead on a soyuz meteorite in good condition let me know :)

5. Omega-Q Sep 30, 2020

Agreed...Soyuz Meteorite hits exactly what you are looking for. Also, it's just a beautiful and well executed piece!

steevvvooo likes this.
  6. befobe Sep 30, 2020

So-yuz! So-yuz!
    My graal.
    You won't regret.
    The best modern speedy.
    Maybe next year for me... I hope so much...

steevvvooo likes this.
  7. steevvvooo Sep 30, 2020

Decision made, I just need to find one now! I was thinking there may be some comments along the lines of "3x the price for a meteorite dial vs a regular Speedie?! Are you mad?! Go for a modern ceramic coaxial... " which has crossed my mind... but sometimes logic just doesn't apply!

8. pdxleaf ... Sep 30, 2020

9. steevvvooo Sep 30, 2020

Edited Sep 30, 2020
  10. pdxleaf ... Sep 30, 2020

Same problem on this side of the pond. I see a lot of stuff in Europe or Japan and then those duties.

Best of luck. And thanks for the awareness of this watch. At least if we both look for one we are not competing. :)

steevvvooo likes this.
  11. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Oct 1, 2020

12. loudbryan44 Oct 12, 2020

Grey Side of the Moon Meteorite this one is going up FS soon

20201008_173934.jpg
    steevvvooo likes this.