Forums Latest Members
  1. Professor_Budge Jul 27, 2015

Hi OF,

Need some advice.

I'm in the market for a moon watch but can't quite decide which reference to go for. My budget will only allow for 145.022 74 + iterations.

My question is this: is it better to go for the 861 calibre with more wear or the 1861 with less wear? (Assuming prices are comparable.) Do you think the market values earlier 861s over later ones? I would like to hold onto this watch for some time.

Thanks!

2. Davidt Jul 27, 2015

Condition, condition, condition.

All things being equal, I'd always prefer the older model. Where the balance lies is up to you.

Professor_Budge likes this.
  3. Professor_Budge Jul 27, 2015

Thanks! Yeah I too prefer the older model but it is tempting to get a like new 3570.50 for the same price.

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 27, 2015

These are not really comparable in my mind.

There is a big difference between the two that might only become apparent after some time. If you cannot really decide which one you like, I suggest you spend a little time understanding those differences so that you don't end up with the wrong watch.

If you like new looking, then the newer watch will be suitable. I somehow doubt it will ever be collectable in the same way as the older one.

While These are very similar references, they have very different "character" .

I think the -74 is a great vintage value option. It has the tritium dial and handset, the larger font bezel and this combination definitely has a vintage look. They can be found quite inexpensively and then serviced, to end up with a sound watch.

The later model looks just like a new watch, and is not to my taste, nor do I see any financial uplift potential. I make no critism of anyone who prefers the new watch.

5. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 27, 2015

I also prefer the older watch. If you can possibly manage a 145.022-71, I think it is worth the extra money over the 74. The reason is that the 71 was the first year with the medallion back and the last year with a raised dial.

ewand likes this.
  6. jud Jul 27, 2015

It's not a good deal either way if you don't like it. Buy the watch you like, wear the hell out of it and give your kid a cool heirloom.

7. Aussie Jim Jul 28, 2015

This sounds like truly excellent advice. I am presuming that few of us are trying to make money (or even keep money!) from this pursuit. Perhaps the question could be better phrased as "which is better "value" for me?

The answer to that is the one you enjoy and like wearing. The one you look at every time you put it on your wrist and say " Damn that IS a fabulous watch"

If on the other hand you wish to make an investment or somesuch, then probably stocks or bonds are a better option. They just look really silly on your wrist...

From my point of view the 145.022 is much more likely to do that, but it depends if you like new and shiny or old and character laden.

Hmm, now that I say that perhaps it is those of us who are getting a bit older and exhibiting our own patina that like these older watches. This could be the subject of a survey

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 28, 2015

I buy myself a brand new box and papers watch every 5 years and have gone for the iconic to me watches that I like. The TAG Monaco was one and the Speedmaster is another. Both bought in the last 10 years so modern new

I buy vintage otherwise (every few months or less) with a mixed brand type theme

I do like the fact that the two new will be my vintage in years to come even though they don't match my collection. So sometimes it's good to have the new and the vintage.